Camping  

119 members have voted

1. 1. Do you all like camping?

• Yesssss!!!
    • Heck to the no!
    • Depends/other

This poll is closed to new votes

Blue eyes white dragon

I love to hike and go camping!! I even like roughing it. How do you all like camping? 

Grey-Ace Ventura

Never been

I like the idea of it but mosquitos and no showers make camping difficult to enjoy.

My dad would take me a fair bit as a kid, so I did develop a fondness for it. I don't camp much these days though unfortunately. Me not having a vehicle or driving or having a friend circle that wants to go makes it trickier. It is also much more enjoyable with the proper gear, but that stuff is often expensive. I think probably the last time I camped was back in 2017. 

I haven't been camping in, like, five years now, but I really enjoyed it when I went before and I'd love to do it again! I can't be completely cut off from the modern world, though; the times I went camping before we had the cars close to the campsite and we brought a lot of stuff with us. I love sitting out by the campfire, though, especially when it's cold outside. I have some pretty good memories from the times I went camping back in the day. :D 

1 hour ago, Grey-Ace Ventura said:

Never been

Same 😭🤚

I haven’t been camping in a long time, but yes it can be pretty fun.

I miss camping. I miss rock climbing, too.

Did a lot of fieldwork in uni that necessitated camping for long periods. It was fine but I was 19-21 years old and it was usually in the Summer months when the weather is good. Waking up to fresh air is a nice feeling. I'm not sure I'd like it now, but if it was necessary I could manage. 

everywhere and nowhere

I don't. I have a need for comfort and, being extremely nudity-averse, I absolutely require a closed one-person bathroom.

Grumpy Alien

I’ve never been camping and you couldn’t pay me to try it. I’m baffled by people who think that sort of thing is “fun.” What’s fun about getting dirty and sleeping outside on the ground? What do you even do in the day? Count trees? Just the idea of camping makes me anxious and disgusted.

tenor.gif?itemid=15679583

Anthracite_Impreza

Only ever been 'camping' at a car show; falling asleep to the sound of beefy engines was a thing of beauty. In nature though? No, I'd be bored shitless without my laptop.

It was the only way my husband and I could afford a holiday when we were younger. We even spent our honeymoon in a tiny tent. Upped the ante to a slightly larger one and then a campervan later. And I still sometimes go camping. It has its downsides. Upsides too.

I love camping....used to do it every year for Easter. I imagine now I would like more glamping style...so probably rent a cottage and stay at the camping site there.

Grumpy Alien
3 hours ago, Merryman said:

Watch a bit of nature's television. It's what Bear Grylls calls a lit fire. :) 

My brain would feel like mush if I just stared at a fire or some dirt and leaves. I’d want a book but then I’d just get annoyed that I’m not comfy. My aunt used to make me read outside because she said it wasn’t healthy for me to be inside all day. (This was when I was a kid.) I hated not getting cozy on the sofa and the silence - or worse, bird sounds. I think I’d sleep better to actual human screams than the sound of crickets, which is what I imagine is the only sound in a forest at night.

Never been - the concept of it sounds appealing.

Most of the things others mentioned in here wouldn't dissuade me either - sleeping in the rough is fine, and not showering doesn't mean no washing, so with a little water (or a lake, it's camping after all!) would do away with that.

But no plumbing is the one that stops me from trying it... that's just a no-go! :D 

Think I'll opt for a cottage in the forest or something instead - all the benefits of being surrounded by nature while still having the option to retreat to the building and enjoy its amenities :) 

I’ve never gotten the fully authentic camping experience before, but one of the biggest reasons I’m sure I wouldn’t enjoy it is that I have a pretty bad phobia of bugs that makes being outside during the summer for even short periods of time uncomfortable at best and intensely distressing at worst. So a solid day or more of that? Nope. Glad others like it though. I understand the appeal for people who actually like being outside.

Blue eyes white dragon

I love all of your experiences and comments!😁😁

I've never been camping. Sometimes I think I would like it because it sounds nice, and I love being outdoors and hiking and all that -- but then I remember that there will probably be ticks and other potentially disease-carrying insects, and there might well be wolves around. So, yeah. Probably won't do so either.

51 minutes ago, Remmirath said:

and there might well be wolves around.

But that's part of the fun!! (Full disclosure, just the distant howls)

On 1/3/2021 at 10:06 AM, Dreamer23 said:

Think I'll opt for a cottage in the forest or something instead - all the benefits of being surrounded by nature while still having the option to retreat to the building and enjoy its amenities

Yes! This is the WAY. I mean, sure, we like pitching a tent, taking the sleeping bags, making a campfire by the edge of the lake with the fishing gear and the rowboat, and going camping for real sometimes. But it is nice to have a house with plumbing and electricity and Internet and a stocked pantry for a fairly modern kitchen and comfy bed/furniture and other creature comforts. And just a short walk out the front door and I am in the mountains and hiking country. I love the isolation, personally, but I figure that would be a major drawback for a lot people, for more than just a visit anyway.

I haven't been camping since I was a teenager, but given the chance I would again. 

As long as the tent isn't on top of an ant's nest this time, I'll give it another go. 😬

WhereTheSkiesEnd

I only camp for my work. It's not how I want to spend my free time.

Love hiking though, but I also love taking a shower afterwards😂

WhereTheSkiesEnd
On 1/3/2021 at 1:06 PM, Dreamer23 said:

Think I'll opt for a cottage in the forest or something instead - all the benefits of being surrounded by nature while still having the option to retreat to the building and enjoy its amenities :) 

This is the dream! I want to live in a cottage surrounded by woods, but also I would want my cottage to be off-grid.

• 2 weeks later...

I loved camping as a kid. Hiking. Swimming in the lake. Riding bicycles. Etc. 

But never really did the tent camping sort of thing. We had an rv. Started with a small one, and slowly worked our way up to a big one. 

I would HAVE to have at least a toilet and kitchen inside a small rv to go camping again these days. I don't like pit toilets, or fighting bugs while cooking/eating.

My property is a bit like camping. Or rather, glamping. I have wild nature on my hill, and literally nothing behind my property for a hundred miles. But when I'm done with mother nature, I get to go back inside my house, cook a good meal, take a long hot shower, and sleep in a warm comfy bed.

I haven't been camping in a few decades. When I was a kid we often went camping, in places without any amenities other than whatever you brought with you (a tent, a camp stove, maybe a lantern or flashlight, and food/drink of course). Had some good times. These days though I'd prefer more amenities, and probably at least a cabin and some electricity and indoor plumbing.

30 minutes ago, daveb said:

I'd prefer more amenities, and probably at least a cabin and some electricity and indoor plumbing.

I'd be interested in trying out a yurt. (But only for a night or two) most state parks at least have flush toilets and showers. - even if they are public. It's better than nothing. Usually. 

Archived