New Moderator Needed: World Watch & Alternative Languages: Nominations

Kelly

19 minutes ago, Quasar.w said:

Last question, do you need to know HTML? I remember reading or being told about that

No 😊

I did find very basic HTML helped precisely once when a random post refused to turn the right shade of green.

Janus the Fox

HTML5 isn’t required.  Each Comment while Staff has a feature called Source Code View.  I’ve personally found it useful in fixing Formatting bugs, but I’m only semi-familiar with HTML5 academically and 2 Years as DT experience.  

5 minutes ago, Janus DarkFox said:

Each Comment while Staff has a feature called Source Code View

Wait so you have access to the source code? Okay now I really don't want to run.

2 minutes ago, Kimmie. said:

Wait so you have access to the source code? Okay now I really don't want to run.

Everyone has access to the source. When you're writing a post, the Source button is on the top left. You can also use your browser functions to view the html.

1 minute ago, michaeld said:

Everyone has access to the source. When you're writing a post, the Source button is on the top left. You can also use your browser functions to view the html.

Ohh okay I thought you meant that I could go in and change the entire websites layout and things like that.

Janus the Fox
1 minute ago, Kimmie. said:

It’s not the source code of the entire Site, only its comments.  There’s a toggle on every Comment in the Editor to toggle between the regular view and Source Code View, rarely needs to be used and I’ve used this in a Project to clean up the ToS formatting.

only Webmaster level has full source code with a level of access never granted by Admods.

Okay that is soothing but it still makes feel uncomfortable to have more access to things like that.

EDIT: I really should stay out of these threads.

7 hours ago, michaeld said:

Not to derail, but that didn't used to be available to regular members after some upgrade a few years ago. Is it there for them now?

Forest Spirit

I'll give it a shot and throw some snow and gingerbread houses into the ring. After Christmas is just another word for before Christmas after all❄️

I really want to but I simply can't do it because of reasons i have already mentioned.

But go you Quasar!

Forest Spirit
31 minutes ago, Kimmie. said:

I really want to but I simply can't do it because of reasons i have already mentioned.

But go you Quasar!

Understand your concerns so no worries! Keep being a great member though, and thanks for the good wishes🙂

1 hour ago, Quasar.w said:

I'll give it a shot and throw some snow and gingerbread houses into the ring. After Christmas is just another word for before Christmas after all❄️

🥳🥳🥳

🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧

🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧

🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧

🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧

🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧

🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧

🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧

🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧

2 hours ago, Quasar.w said:

Glad you are running! :cake:

10 hours ago, daveb said:

Not to derail, but that didn't used to be available to regular members after some upgrade a few years ago. Is it there for them now?

I wasn't aware of that. I don't see why it shouldn't be available for everyone, but I have no easy way of checking. Can anyone, who doesn't have a team position, see the Source button?

30 minutes ago, michaeld said:

Can anyone, who doesn't have a team position, see the Source button?

What does it look like?

Spoiler

Screenshot-20210107-161825.png

Forest Spirit
50 minutes ago, michaeld said:

Can anyone, who doesn't have a team position, see the Source button?

Don't think so, it looks the same for me as for Kimmie

OK I'm meeting the tech team this weekend and I'll ask if it can be given to all members. It's possible there's some reason I haven't thought of for the restriction, though I can't think what.

Actually the Source button used to be far more useful when it didn't give the full html source (which is hard to edit) but simply used tags like [ quote], [ /unquote], [ b], [ /b] etc without rendering these. This changed in one of the updates and I'm guessing it's out of our control, unfortunately, though I'll ask the tech team about it too while i'm there.

Anyway, enough digressions! Anyone else wanna run for the position!?

8 minutes ago, michaeld said:

I am really unsure because of personal things. I really want to help out more. If there is something I can do without getting access to a backroom or something like that I am interested. Even for things outside of the site.

2 hours ago, michaeld said:

OK I'm meeting the tech team this weekend and I'll ask if it can be given to all members. It's possible there's some reason I haven't thought of for the restriction, though I can't think what.

Actually the Source button used to be far more useful when it didn't give the full html source (which is hard to edit) but simply used tags like [ quote], [ /unquote], [ b], [ /b] etc without rendering these. This changed in one of the updates and I'm guessing it's out of our control, unfortunately, though I'll ask the tech team about it too while i'm there.

Hey Mic. When we did the big site upgrade a few years ago, we thought the source button was lost for good. But then Admods found it and asked Cole to turn it on. Cole turned it on for staff only, because of ramifications that I can't quite remember now to allowing all members to have access to it. I think that using the source button can allow coding to be put in that could really mess things up. All that to say, check in with Cole because she should definitely remember what her reasonings were, or it was discussed in Admods somewhere so you can search there (I would have featured heavily in those discussions if it helps you search).

Horse Ham Radio

GivingeveryonethesourcebuttonwillhavenoilleffectsAT ALL

1 hour ago, .Lia said:

Hey Mic. When we did the big site upgrade a few years ago, we thought the source button was lost for good. But then Admods found it and asked Cole to turn it on. Cole turned it on for staff only, because of ramifications that I can't quite remember now to allowing all members to have access to it. I think that using the source button can allow coding to be put in that could really mess things up. All that to say, check in with Cole because she should definitely remember what her reasonings were, or it was discussed in Admods somewhere so you can search there (I would have featured heavily in those discussions if it helps you search).

OK thanks I'll ask Coles this weekend. Sorry if I confused anyone.

Archived