New Moderator Needed: World Watch & Alternative Languages: Nominations

Kelly

Join the team!

If you think you would be interested in being the new World Watch and Alternative Language Moderator, throw cookies, cakes, your hat, turnip, or whatever you have into the ring. Just be sure to make it clear that you wish to run.

Eligibility requirements include being a member for at least 6 months, and having at least 100 posts that are not in the Just for Fun or Welcome Lounge forums. You also cannot run with an active, current, warning. You may run for only one election at a time.

Also, see the following for election rules:

http://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/90514-rules-and-procedure-for-elections/

Voting will be by a vote of confidence. A bio is required to be PMed to me by voting time.

This is the timeline for this election:

Thursday, 31 December to Thursday, 7 January: Nominations.
Thursday, 7 January to Sunday, 10 January: Dedicated Q&A period.
Sunday, 10 January to Sunday, 17 January: Voting.

As the most recent new admod and most recent Alternate Language Forum moderator I’d be happy to answer any questions if anyone has any.

Neither of these forums is busy from a Reports perspective. An interest in languages would be helpful for Alt Lang and an interest in organising / archiving would be very helpful for WW, as the WW moderator role includes archiving duties 😊

Man, the good old days when highly reputable community members would fight tooth and nail in fierce democracy battles and heated debates for that prestigious green tag below their avatar.

tumbleweed.gif

Just now, `Silver said:

Man, the good old days when highly reputable community members would fight tooth and nail in fierce democracy battles and heated debates for that prestigious green tag below their avatar.

tumbleweed.gif

To be fair the last election was close and involved good campaign questions (and I hope, answers) 😊

52 minutes ago, Iam9man said:

To be fair the last election was close and involved good campaign questions (and I hope, answers) 😊

Why do you figure this is different, then? I'm curious if the archiving duty is what keeps people from running, or if it's something else.

Off the top of my head, the duties I remember admods had from the time I was a mod are:

• Check the forum(s) they're responsible for at least once a day
  • Discuss and vote in disciplinary action threads, help draft nudge/warn/ban PM notifications
  • Declassify threads (used to be an admod duty when I moderated, but there's a dedicated declass team now)
3 minutes ago, `Silver said:

Why do you figure this is different, then? I'm curious if the archiving duty is what keeps people from running, or if it's something else.

Without derailing this thread too much I think this is worth briefly discussing here, as it may be relevant to anyone considering applying 😊

In my 2 or so years following AVEN I’ve seen spikes and quiet times for elections, even for the exact same forums/positions, so I personally don’t ascribe too much to it.

I guess the fact that the role likely involves more reading articles/archiving them than dealing with bad behaviour makes this a slightly different mod position to the other forums. Which may put some people off, but might be ideal for others 😊

I, for example, always wanted to apply for a position to help out, but I thought I’d try Declass before Moderating in case the latter didn’t suit me. Had a sort of “halfway house” of a full moderator position but which was less report-focused, and arguably more outreach-focused, like World Watch been available at the time it would likely have tempted me.

10 minutes ago, `Silver said:

Off the top of my head, the duties I remember admods had from the time I was a mod are:

• Check the forum(s) they're responsible for at least once a day
  • Discuss and vote in disciplinary action threads, help draft nudge/warn/ban PM notifications
  • Declassify threads (used to be an admod duty when I moderated, but there's a dedicated declass team now)

This is still accurate and I’d add:

- Participate in their own forums (most, if not all, of us have forums that interest us).

- Contribute to developing policies.

- Develop/improve their forums.

- Forum-specific tasks; e.g. keeping a spreadsheet up-to-date for World Watch, maybe look for further articles/mentions.

I kind of want to run but in the same time don't because of personal moral issues with anything involving the backroom.

AceMissBehaving
5 minutes ago, Kimmie. said:

I kind of want to run but in the same time don't because of personal moral issues with anything involving the backroom.

I will say being a mod means you can at least weigh in and use your voice to offer perspective on various things that shape the forums 

10 minutes ago, AceMissBehaving said:

I will say being a mod means you can at least weigh in and use your voice to offer perspective on various things that shape the forums 

Okay that is true.  But being able to weigh in and offer other perspectives is something at least according to regular members should be able to.

But I am also not really that comfortable with having more power than someone else. Especially when most people are WAY more qualified than I am.

Sorry I will not derail this thread anymore. I know I have a tendency to that to election threads.

20 hours ago, `Silver said:

tumbleweed.gif

That's how my first election felt. xD

In all honesty, I think feelings toward moderators have changed. I know that mine certainly have since I joined AVEN over three years ago. It's understandable that people will be hesitant to run, especially with so much on everyone's plate right now. However, I still encourage people to run, especially for this position. Like we've mentioned in the past, this particular forum mostly requires keeping up with the archive and not a lot with handling reports. You'll still be required to participate in others, of course, but the workload is considerably less stressful and more organized, and I think that will appeal to the right person.

This is just so hard.

A question: if i run and against all odds win, can I back down the same day if my biggest fears turns out to be true?

10 minutes ago, Kimmie. said:

This is just so hard.

A question: if i run and against all odds win, can I back down the same day if my biggest fears turns out to be true?

Yes, but I’d encourage you to think it through carefully.

If you are genuinely interested in the role and would be happy to give it an honest go for a few weeks I’d encourage you to apply.

Happy to answer any questions on your biggest fears about modding via PM, if helpful 😊

To be clear I am not running. I just can't out personal ethical reasons sorry☹️ 

It's great when people want to run, but no one should feel pressured to.

4 hours ago, Quasar.w said:

Maybe stupid question, but does the spot have to be filled right now or could it take some more months?

We do need an extra moderator to take these forums on, but for the time being we’re covering them between us. So we’re covered until someone takes them on but hopefully that won’t take months 😊

It’s not a particular big commitment time-wise. I currently mod both PPS & Alt Lang and I spend on average less than 30 mins doing so a day, with some days as low as 10 mins (when there aren’t many posts to read through) and some days up to an hour (when I have to manage a report).

Echoing what Iam9man said--moderating is a commitment, but probably not as big as a lot of people think, especially when we have a full team. I have three forums, and it usually takes me less than a half hour to breeze through some threads, check the reports, make some posts, and then log off for the day. Sometimes things can get sticky and you might be on a lot more per day, but especially with forums as quiet as Alt Lang and World Watch, I don't think this is going to be much of a crunch. You have a full team at your back to help you if you need to step away for a bit for whatever reason, and time away is encouraged, if anything. We've all been there.

TL;DR: This is a commitment, yes, but the pressure has manifested it into a much bigger beast than it's meant to be. 

Don't make this harder for me then it all ready is.😐

Forest Spirit

Thanks for the answers!

@Iam9man another stupid question, in the rare-ish occasion that there is a report in Alternative Languages but the thread is in a language you don't understand, do you need to translate it somehow or how do you deal with that?

You need to learn the language very quickly. 😛

JK. I think google translate, or finding someone to ask for a translation (the PT can help with that if needed, as we have a wide international network of contacts), will work nicely. :)

19 minutes ago, Quasar.w said:

Thanks for the answers!

@Iam9man another stupid question, in the rare-ish occasion that there is a report in Alternative Languages but the thread is in a language you don't understand, do you need to translate it somehow or how do you deal with that?

I find Google Translate is more than good enough to get a gist of most languages (certainly all the ones I’ve seen used over the past couple of years in Alt Lang). It can struggle with some dialects (🙃) and slang, but normally good enough to spot if there’s any issues.

Remember also that the average post count in Alt Lang (except for the December “introduce yourself” extravaganza) is around 30 posts per month, so there’s not much to look through generally.

I guess theoretically a group of people could go on there are collectively break the ToS by using slang, but in reality most if not all posts are along the lines of the Introduce yourself thread and if someone was breaking the ToS it would likely be reported by someone who speaks the language 😊

OptimisticPessimist

@Quasar.w Just wanted to add, not stupid questions! Feel free to ask away about modding. I think @Iam9man has summed everything up. 

Yeah, I used to be mod of Alt Lang and it was no sweat.

I was kinda apprehensive about it at first, but I was pretty pleased when I realised A) it gets about five new posts per year and B) all you really need to do is copy-paste the posts into Google Translate and hope no one is threatening to murder another member in their sleep.

(You can trust me - I'm not a mod anymore, so I'm not trying to recruit you into their nefarious ranks!)

1 hour ago, kyon. said:

I'm not trying to recruit you into their nefarious ranks!

There are no nefarious ranks to be recruited into...

🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧

🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧

🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧

🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧

🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧

🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧

🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧

🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧

I know I should know this, but what does the WW archiving entail, exactly? Also, do moderating duties include actively looking for articles to post? 

6 hours ago, Sea Lemon said:

I know I should know this, but what does the WW archiving entail, exactly?

I haven’t personally done it but my understanding is that it is basically keeping a fairly straightforward spreadsheet log of asexuality articles/media/etc up-to-date and moving stuff into the WW archive at the end of the year.

Perhaps a mod who’s actually done it can correct me if there’s more to it 😊

6 hours ago, Sea Lemon said:

Also, do moderating duties include actively looking for articles to post? 

My understanding is that some previous mods have chosen to do so, others haven’t. As you can see from the forum a lot of members already contribute, so it may not be necessary, but if the person who took this on had a general interest in reading about asexuality and related identities it might be helpful. I believe one of the previous mods used to basically set a Google alert to highlight new articles/mentions so they didn’t have to go looking 😊

Janus the Fox

Logging in the WW Spreadsheets consists of Adding Thread Title, Link to Thread, adding a Category, Source (basically where the link in the WW thread came from), Title of that Article (the title of the source), Date Thread is made, link of that article, any notes, a preview and URL link (which is an imbedible link in source code format, all per Record.

To me it’s a simple Log, maybe a little disorganised looking but it works, just need a Google Account to update these.  Personally I’ve kept personal logs of health data, finances, purchases, bills made in Microsoft Office Excel 365 and made Databases of Home Media items in Microsoft Office Access 365.  I’ve personally created an offline Log for the Q&A E-Mail Team Project, updated Weekly.

So to me professionally, it don’t look or seem all too complicated.  It’s a bit behind having a look at it myself, so maybe a bit of extra time is required to get it to at least up to date.  Once it is, it’s simply just a matter of adding a new Record once a World Watch Thread is created.  I think about 1 or 2 threads are made in average a week. 

Heads-up to anyone considering running the deadline to nominate yourself is tomorrow (approx. 24 hours from now).

If anyone has any further questions I’d be happy to answer them here or via PM 😊👍

Archived