I feel ashamed to tell people about my hobby

A User

I tend to try not to reveal just how much computer games are my primary hobby.  The... negative reactions it gets on, say, dating sites, is remarkable, to say the least.  I end up feeling very alienated.  I have other interests, but they aren't time consuming.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/19/2020 at 12:04 AM, nutterwithasolderingiron said:

hell, i had a weird moment a few months ago. i'd just finished building my bike and was breaking it in.

hold up, building your bike? 😮😮😮 wow im amazed. that's really cool

On 12/23/2020 at 3:24 PM, Siimo van der fietspad said:

My country is Karolia. Frankly this is an epic, near lifetime project: I have been doing this on and off for seven years now and mostly done just a percentage of the major cities, the motorways and rivers.

😮😮😮 that is incredible. I can see how much effort you put in this. Great work!

nutterwithasolderingiron
On 1/8/2021 at 1:43 PM, Elevn said:

hold up, building your bike? 😮😮😮 wow im amazed. that's really cool

😮😮😮 that is incredible. I can see how much effort you put in this. Great work!

yeah. i got the bike as a frame and built it up over the winter. it's nothing special. it's just a 90's steel saracen frame converted to a road bike. his name is brian. 

BGTzC68.jpg

Obijwcu.jpg

nutterwithasolderingiron
1 hour ago, SocialMorays said:

@nutterwithasolderingiron, seeing that duck with a helmet on just made my goddamn day. 💜

thanks. i collect rubber ducks. this one is called sir quacks-a-lot

Siimo van der fietspad
7 hours ago, nutterwithasolderingiron said:

yeah. i got the bike as a frame and built it up over the winter. it's nothing special. it's just a 90's steel saracen frame converted to a road bike. his name is brian. 

BGTzC68.jpg

Obijwcu.jpg

Before I decided it would be better to just buy Lyra (my lovely Urban Arrow) I was making plans to build a cargo bike using a donor frame and welding a front section to it. Might still have a go at making a front loader or longtail in the future to learn about it all.

Siimo van der fietspad
On 12/25/2020 at 12:03 AM, Someone Else said:

I tend to try not to reveal just how much computer games are my primary hobby.  The... negative reactions it gets on, say, dating sites, is remarkable, to say the least.  I end up feeling very alienated.  I have other interests, but they aren't time consuming.

Even as a non-gamer I am aware of how much ignorance there is regarding the level of sophistication that has been reached in games. There is still a perception that nothing has changed since blocky 8-bit cartridges where you press a few buttons to shoot 2D white lines. For some years games have been at the same artistic level as cinema with storylines, highly detailed worldbuilding and graphics and complex characters.

9 hours ago, Siimo van der fietspad said:

Even as a non-gamer I am aware of how much ignorance there is regarding the level of sophistication that has been reached in games. There is still a perception that nothing has changed since blocky 8-bit cartridges where you press a few buttons to shoot 2D white lines. For some years games have been at the same artistic level as cinema with storylines, highly detailed worldbuilding and graphics and complex characters.

Yup.  The hypocrisy astounds me when people will, for instance, admit to going to an avengers movie but then spit on me for gaming.  Could your difficult moral choices change the plot of Avengers for better or worse?  No.  Could your skill affect one of the battles in the movie?  No.  Did your choice to trust that doctor Strange knew what he was doing with the time stone make any difference?  No.  Were you able to personally try to negotiate with Thanos in the movie? No.  Did you solve any puzzles, problems or dilemas for any of the characters in the movie?  No.  Were you allowed to pick sides in any way, and thereby change the direction of the plot? No.

Many games would have been able to do all of that.   They're conceivably potentially deeper than many pop culture movies, now.  So the hypocrisy makes me see red.

nutterwithasolderingiron
8 hours ago, Elevn said:

@nutterwithasolderingiron aaaa thanks for showing brian and sir quacks-a-lot :lol::lol::lol: I also like that he has a little helmet on. So cute XD

my friend has a joke that the duck is safer than me since i just wear my beanie out on the bike. i've not been able to get a comfortable helmet fitted since lockdown started. 

You're 13.  These are years you will never get back.  Ignore the people pushing you to be  grown and enjoy being a kid while you can.  

There's nothing inherently wrong with consuming media that's "for kids". There was a time when animated movies and Pokemon were considered "for kids", but I've seen/heard folks of all ages freely discussing all of those things with those who share their interests. Animated movies and Pokemon have even adapted to appeal to a larger crowd these days, with deeper themes for the movies and more involved game mechanics for Pokemon.

I used to be very embarrassed over my love of DIsney/Pixar films and tried to disassociate myself from them because I thought they were "for kids". But after movies like Inside Out and Zootopia, I realized that there's plenty for adults to enjoy about those films as well as kids; watching Toy Story as a child and then watching it again as an adult was like watching two different movies.

I've never played Roblox so I have no idea if any of this applies to that. But my point is that "for kids" is a subjective culture label that changes over time to apply to different things for a variety of different reasons. I don't think there's much point in clinging to abstract cultural values solely to please other people who'll probably change their mind later anyway and/or are shallow enough to judge you based on the media you consume.

TL;DR the "for kids" label doesn't mean much, and it's best not to give too much thought to it if you want to keep enjoying it

Archived