Multilingual fun: Introduce yourself in your language!

I’m curious how many different languages/dialects AVENites speak between us, so let’s introduce ourselves in our own language(s)!

Rules:

1. Any formal / informal / serious / fun introductions are allowed.

2. All languages and dialects are welcome, even if someone else has already used them.

3. Only one language/dialect per post, but you can post more than once.

4. No use of translation software/sites; these should be languages/dialects you speak well enough to introduce yourself in.

5. No penguins must be harmed in the making of this thread.

6. General discussions on languages/dialects are also allowed/encouraged on this thread.

Edited by Iam9man
Added rule 6
  • Like 5

I’ll start: Hi, I am 9man, nice to meet you! (English)

• Like 1
Oberon Jasper

Hi, I am Kieran! (English)

Hallo, ich heisse Kieran. (Deutsch/German)

• Like 3
Fraggle Underdark

Ohayoo, watashi no namae wa furagguru (Japanese, rusty conversational level)

• Like 2

Allo! J'suis Sarah-Sylvia. Contente de vous rencontrer! ;) (non-formal French where I live in Canada)

• Like 4

Γειά σας είμαι η The Abhorred, είμαι Άσσος Μπαστούνι δηλαδή και ασέξουαλ και φόνισσα χαχα Πολλοί χαιρετισμοί από την Αθήνα που είναι υπό αυστηρό περιορισμό κυκλοφορίας λόγω του Κορονοιου.  (sounds Greek to me :))

• Like 7
8 minutes ago, fragglesinthedark said:

Ohayoo, watashi no namae wa furagguru (Japanese, rusty conversational level)

furagguru-san. Hiragana to kanji wa shitteimasu ka?

• Like 1
Fraggle Underdark
1 minute ago, Sarah-Sylvia said:

furagguru-san. Hiragana to kanji wa shitteimasu ka?

Hai, soo desu sara-san. hiragana o oboeteiru demo kanji o wasureta. sanbyaku gurai kanji o narata.

• Like 1

Hejsan. Jag heter Andrea KF. Jag kommer från Sundsvall och är 36 år gammal. (swedish)

• Like 1

Servus, ich heiße Ennis und lebe südlich des Weißwurschtäquators im Aldi-Süd-Ländle. Ich bin 24 und kann faschd alles, auch Hochdeutsch. Wir haben die einzig wahren Brezeln, nämlich die mit denne knuschprige  Ärmle. Lokalpatriotismus macht Spaß und sollte nicht zu ernst genommen werden. (slightly Swabian German)

• Like 4
8 minutes ago, fragglesinthedark said:

Hai, soo desu sara-san. hiragana o oboeteiru demo kanji o wasureta. sanbyaku gurai kanji o narata.

Sou. Kanji wa totemo muzukashi desu.

(I basically gave up on learning kanji. Takes way too much XD)

• Like 2
Fraggle Underdark
Just now, Sarah-Sylvia said:

Sou. Kanji wa totemo muzukashi desu.

(I basically gave up on learning kanji. Takes way too much XD)

Soo desu ne! :) totemo muzukashii

• Like 1

Dia dhaoibh, is mise Ennis agus táim i mo chonaí sa Ghearmáin. Níl agam ach cúpla focal Gaeilge ach tá mé tar ais é seo a scríobh gan fócloir a úsáid. Ar m'ainm!
(Irish)

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Granite4Breakfast said:

Hei! Du snakker Norske også?

Det gjør jeg, men ikke så bra! 😊

• Like 1
Granite4Breakfast

Ik heet Granite4breakfast en ik kan ook Nederlands spreken. Nee ik eet werkelijk geen granite voor onbijt haha. Mijn moeder taal is Engels, maar ik ben Nederlands aan het leren. Ik hoop dat er is wat anderen Nederlands sprekers hierop die ik kan praten met. Ik weet ook dat mijn Nederlands niet perfect is. (Dutch)

• Like 3
Fraggle Underdark
2 minutes ago, Ennis said:

Servus, ich heiße Ennis und lebe südlich des Weißwurschtäquators im Aldi-Süd-Ländle. Ich bin 24 und kann faschd alles, auch Hochdeutsch. Wir haben die einzig wahren Brezeln, nämlich die mit denne knuschprige  Ärmle. Lokalpatriotismus macht Spaß und sollte nicht zu ernst genommen werden. (slightly Swabian German)

My German ancestors were from Swabia and spoke Swabian German! Great-great-grandparents were Danube Swabians living in Hungary, came to US around 1901 and never really learned English. My grandfather lived with his grandmother in high school and learned German from her so they could speak. In the 50s he was stationed in West Germany and chose to live off base to get more culture. A neighbor asked to hear his German and he sheepishly spoke a little and the neighbor laughed and said "das richtig Swabe!". The dialect had been maintained after passing through generations in Hungary and then the US. Not that surprising really but I find it fun.

• Like 3
Granite4Breakfast
4 minutes ago, Iam9man said:

Det gjør jeg, men ikke så bra! 😊

Ah ja, jeg ser. Jeg også, jeg snakker bare lit 😅 Mine Nederlansk er mye bedre

• Like 1

@Granite4Breakfast Ik ben altijd stomverbaasd als ik hoor dat mensen Nederlands aan het leren zijn. We spreken hier allemaal ook gewoon Engels hoor haha. Komt echt veel vaker voor dan ik verwacht. Maar je doet het omdat je het leuk vindt neem ik aan? (Dutch)

大家好。我叫柏朗然。我是漢學系的學生. (Mandarin, Traditional)

• Like 2

Γειά! Με λένε Ζέντ, είμαι απο Ελλάδα (γειά @The Abhorred! Και γω έχω καραντινιαστεί στην Αθήνα, η δεύτερη καραντίνα μου φαίνεται πιο δύσκολη από την πρώτη, οπότε καλό μας κουράγιο μέχρι τον Ιανουάριο) και προσέχω πάντα πως χρησιμοποιώ επίθετα σε προτάσεις όπου αναφέρομαι στον εαυτό μου γιατί είμαι... εεε... υποθέτω λέγεται "μη δυαδικό άτομο", αλλά πάντα γελάω με τον χαρακτηρισμό γιατί είναι ακριβής μετάφραση του όρου nonbinary. Θα αλλάξω γλώσσα τώρα γιατί μου είναι λίγο περίεργο να χρησιμοποιώ ελληνικά εδώ, αλλά είχε πλάκα! (Greek)

• Like 3
1 hour ago, fragglesinthedark said:

My German ancestors were from Swabia and spoke Swabian German! Great-great-grandparents were Danube Swabians living in Hungary, came to US around 1901 and never really learned English. My grandfather lived with his grandmother in high school and learned German from her so they could speak. In the 50s he was stationed in West Germany and chose to live off base to get more culture. A neighbor asked to hear his German and he sheepishly spoke a little and the neighbor laughed and said "das richtig Swabe!". The dialect had been maintained after passing through generations in Hungary and then the US. Not that surprising really but I find it fun.

That's such a great story! My great-grandparents were also Danube Swabians from Hungary (now modern-day Romania), and they came to the U.S. in 1903. Their German ultimately wasn't passed down to my father or me, but there are other branches of the family that still speak it to varying degrees. Makes me wonder if the dialect stayed with them too!

We actually have a lengthy recording of my great-grandmother being interviewed by one of our cousins in 1965, just two years before she died. She mostly speaks in Swabian German with some broken English interspersed, and even sings the Hungarian national anthem. I'd love to be able to have it translated sometime.

• Like 2

Bună! Sunt Georgi și sunt din România. Încântat(ă) de cunoștință :) (Romanian)

안녕! 내 이름을 걸기*예요. 루마니아 와요. 만나서방가워요! (Korean; surprised I remember something 😅)

*Georgi is kind of hard for me to write with Korean letters, given the fact that the pronounciation is different

Ahoj! Ja jsem Georgi. Ja jsem z Rumunsko! Teši me! (Czech - only started to learn it a few weeks ago)

Bonjour! Je m'apelle Georgi. Je suis roumain(e). I forgot how to say nice to meet you, but never mind 😅 (French)

Servus! Mein Name ist Georgi und ich komme aus Rumänien. Ich habe 'nice to meet you' auf Deutch auch vergessen... (German)

Hi! I am Georgi and I come from Romania. Nice to meet you! (English)

This was a nice exercise to see what I remember in different languages... and how much knowledge is still left in my head. Unfortunately, my Chinese knowledge is fully forgotten 😅

Fraggle Underdark
25 minutes ago, SocialMorays said:

That's such a great story! My great-grandparents were also Danube Swabians from Hungary (now modern-day Romania), and they came to the U.S. in 1903.

How about that! You know now that you mention it, I believe my great-great-grandparents also came over in 1903, not 1901. I had confused it with the year my great-grandfather was born which was 1901. They were also from a region in Hungary that is now Romania. Maybe they were on the same boat!

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, fragglesinthedark said:

How about that! You know now that you mention it, I believe my great-great-grandparents also came over in 1903, not 1901. I had confused it with the year my great-grandfather was born which was 1901. They were also from a region in Hungary that is now Romania. Maybe they were on the same boat!

That's so cool! Mine were from a tiny village next to the city of Arad on the Mureş River. I've heard it's a really beautiful area -- I still fantasize about visiting someday when it's safe to fly again. (I actually did look up what boat they were on at some point, haha, but I can't recall the name offhand.)

• Like 2
Fraggle Underdark
3 minutes ago, SocialMorays said:

That's so cool! Mine were from a tiny village next to the city of Arad on the Mureş River. I've heard it's a really beautiful area -- I still fantasize about visiting someday when it's safe to fly again. (I actually did look up what boat they were on at some point, haha, but I can't recall the name offhand.)

Mine were from very close to there, a tiny village a little more to the south, closer to Timisoara. My grandparents and mom and aunt have actually gone back and found some cousins who still live there (and some who lived there during Communist rule and moved to Germany when the wall fell). Actually later one of their kids came to visit the states and I met her. I've seen pictures of the Romanian village and it's funny that it looks almost identical to the towns and areas in North Dakota they moved to.

• Like 2