English Word Differences (British vs American)

GingerRose

Named after Leslie Hore-Belisha (1st Baron Hore-Belisha), UK transport minister from 1934-1937

1 hour ago, Naomi2002 said:

My head hurts!

:lol: I guess traffic in London can be a real zoo! :P 

13 hours ago, Midland Tyke said:

Named after Leslie Hore-Belisha (1st Baron Hore-Belisha), UK transport minister from 1934-1937

Wonder what we'll be calling by the name Shapps in years to come? 😵

• 3 weeks later...

@GingerRose I’m an ESL teacher so I’ve had to learn both British English and American English! Here’s some:

Anti-clockwise = counter

Appetiser = starter

Boot = trunk

Candyfloss = cotton candy

Crisps = chips

Chips = fries

Drawing pin = thumbtack

Flat = apartment 

Football = soccer 

Plait/s = braid/s

Holiday = vacation 

Number plate = license plate

Post = mail

Oven glove = oven mitt

Shopping trolly = shopping cart

Public school = state school

Lift = elevator 

In the UK, Public School is a fee paying school, sometimes called a Private or Independent School - but never a state funded school.

Public & Private in this context are the same, not opposite.

Nuts, I know!

"The term ‘public’ actually refers to the fact that in 1868 a small group of boys’ schools were given independence from the Crown, church or government in favour of management by a board of governors."

14 minutes ago, njosnavelin said:

There is great book on this subject called, "That's The Way It Crumbles" It also discusses how British English is slowly loosing some of its English in favor to the American English. 

That would be "in favour of", [similar to, and different from...] .. and I will stand my ground until my last breath! 😉

Don't forget, both British English and American English, as well as other variations on English all around the world, have evolved over time. Each has retained some of the older stuff from England and each has changed in different ways, too. I find it all very fascinating. :D 

• 2 weeks later...
J. van Deijck
On 12/9/2020 at 3:15 AM, TheRister said:

Footpath = Sidewalk

I believe the British word for it is pavement, but English is not my native language, so :D

I'm more familiar with British words, though. Not 100%, but like 75%.

5 hours ago, Jelle van der Lee said:

I believe the British word for it is pavement, but English is not my native language, so :D

I'm more familiar with British words, though. Not 100%, but like 75%.

Yes. 

Footpath is usually associated with an unmade track for walkers.

N.lilibet1115
On 12/8/2020 at 6:14 PM, GingerRose said:

Trainers=Tennis Shoes

This can also depend where you are in the USA, in New England area usually we say Sneakers

21 minutes ago, N.lilibet1115 said:

This can also depend where you are in the USA, in New England area usually we say Sneakers

I've always wondered, why is that?  I understand Tennis Shoes (a bit sportist, but nevermind!)

Is it because they're good for sneaking up on people?!

26 minutes ago, Naomi2002 said:

Is it because they're good for sneaking up on people?!

Not far off!  The term was first used in the USA, sometime in the 1880s, because the rubber soles were so much quieter than the leather-soled shoes.

J. van Deijck
On 12/9/2020 at 12:55 AM, Nowhere Girl said:
On 12/9/2020 at 12:14 AM, GingerRose said:

Offie=Bodega

What's that? :o Never seen or heard any of these words...

Alcohol shop, if I'm not wrong. 

Diary = planner is probably one of my favourites.

When I was a student in the UK my lecturer told us to put a certain date in our diary and I was so confused and wondering why she assumed we all kept one, or wanted us to take note of that information there. To me a diary had always meant a personal journal.

J. van Deijck
On 12/11/2020 at 1:26 AM, Midland Tyke said:

Yes those in America know this as Aluminum foil. Whilst over here it's Aluminium foil. I've no idea why or when America dropped the second i. So many elements end in 'ium' (Sodium, Caesium, Barium, Cadmium, Potassium just off the top of my head) but only Aluminium seems to have been singled out for surgery. Why?

My question related to that: what and where is called "tin foil"? I've heard it a couple of times already.

Alejandrogynous
26 minutes ago, Jelle van der Lee said:

My question related to that: what and where is called "tin foil"? I've heard it a couple of times already.

I'm in the midwestern US and we call it tin foil. It's the same thing.

Before aluminum foil came along there actually was a similar product made of thin sheets of tin, used in a similar manner for similar reasons. That was the original tinfoil and the name lingers on (maybe because it's shorter). Kind of like some people still sometimes say grocery store (vs supermarket) or icebox (vs fridge/freezer).

On 12/9/2020 at 4:03 AM, GingerRose said:

Offie short for Off license Which in America is a Bodega ( liquor store that also sells snacks, candy, like a rest stop or gas station store)

I’m an American and I live in the UK and I’ve never heard either of these. 😂

A bodega to me is where you buy a newspaper and the world’s shittiest “coffee” on your way to work and there’s a slightly grumpy looking cat that’s never been brushed but you still pet them on your way out after paying (cash only because the card reader is broken) the man who looks like he lost the will to live 20 years ago but has to support the family. A liquor store is a shop that sells alcohol. They come in two varieties: Shady cramped little buildings that only severe alcoholics are brave enough to go into and huge brightly lit stores where the employees can give you recommendations on anything from the cheapest light beers to the finest imported wines to the most unique spirits. I’m from a state where the only place you can buy alcohol from is a liquor store so you can’t just buy it from Walmart or something. 

I haven’t actually ever seen an off license here since there’s just no real need for them. We just buy alcohol at the local supermarkets. I’m not a big drinker and my in-laws drink a lot less than the average British family so I haven’t even heard much mention of an off license other than in the occasional off handed joke.

J. van Deijck
15 hours ago, Alejandrogynous said:

I'm in the midwestern US and we call it tin foil. It's the same thing.

15 hours ago, daveb said:

Before aluminum foil came along there actually was a similar product made of thin sheets of tin, used in a similar manner for similar reasons. That was the original tinfoil and the name lingers on (maybe because it's shorter). Kind of like some people still sometimes say grocery store (vs supermarket) or icebox (vs fridge/freezer).

Okay, that explains a lot to me :D I've heard only one person using "tin foil", but it has left me intrigued.

25 minutes ago, Jelle van der Lee said:

Okay, that explains a lot to me :D I've heard only one person using "tin foil", but it has left me intrigued.

My parents called it tin foil.  My brother still does.  Not sure what I call it (I'm no cook!) but when I think about it I probably say just Foil  - can't go wrong!

Rare Aztec Whstling Chickn

While I may hear tin foil now and again, a quite common name now is alfoil.

J. van Deijck

Alfoil is what I've never heard :P

6 hours ago, Jelle van der Lee said:

Alfoil is what I've never heard :P

Me neither. I'm guessing it's an Australianism. :) 

Makes me think of this:

MV5BYmRhNzk2YWUtNWIxNC00YWM3LWI5ODEtN2Iw

In the US, when some (usually imagined) people with paranoid tendencies pull out the foil to fashion and don metal "hats" to keep the radio waves (or aliens or the CIA, etc.) from reading their thoughts, I've never heard those called aluminum foil hats -- those are always called "tin foil hats" in the stereotype, even when all else '-foil' is aluminum and "tin foil" in anachronistic.

-UTFTD

• 2 months later...
banana monkey
On 1/1/2021 at 12:21 PM, Jugo said:

@GingerRose I’m an ESL teacher so I’ve had to learn both British English and American English! Here’s some:

Public school = state school

I always used to find that one most confusing since in the UK a public school often refers to the highest/poshest type of private (usually boarding) school. ie the type the ones the children of high celebrities and the royal family go to. 

Will be interested in this thread, since the pandemic I seem to be coming across more security stuff using american isms. 

ie - when you have to verify you are not a robot it asks you to select the crosswalks for example. The first time I had that I was like err what the heck is a crosswalk! There are a few more examples like that I cant think of atm. 

Rare Aztec Whstling Chickn
8 hours ago, banana monkey said:

ie - when you have to verify you are not a robot it asks you to select the crosswalks for example. The first time I had that I was like err what the heck is a crosswalk! There are a few more examples like that I cant think of atm. 

Does anyone else call these zebra crossings?

17 hours ago, Comrade Tal said:

Does anyone else call these zebra crossings?

Yes but only a zebra crossing if theres the white stripes painted on the tarmac. Honestly I usually just call them crossings in real life unless they are the pelican style proper zebra crossings. 

Archived