Things from childhood

Someone Else

Do people usually have interests, hobbies, and music that they liked in childhood that will still have meaning and interest well into old age?
The music my parents played when I was a kid, like Carpenters and Neil Diamond, still makes me feel and remember.  It probably always will.

Forest Spirit

For me it's mainly certain books and the game Wind Waker (from the Zelda series). It's partly nostalgia, partly "they're just great"

1 hour ago, Someone Else said:

Do people usually have interests, hobbies, and music that they liked in childhood that will still have meaning and interest well into old age?
The music my parents played when I was a kid, like Carpenters and Neil Diamond, still makes me feel and remember.  It probably always will.

The music that has the most nostalgia for me is the old blues artists. My dad had a Muddy Waters CD in the car that I would ask him to play over and over as a kid, and to this day, hearing one of those songs brings me right back. In retrospect, I was a pretty strange child.

My mother is a former country singer who's into the classics (Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, Merle Haggard, et al) as well as the gospel and R&B vocalists who influenced her (Etta James, Mavis Staples, Mahalia Jackson, Merry Clayton, etc.) I'll always associate those artists warmly with her as well.

Oberon Jasper

Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers. I love it and nostalgia.

abandoned-account

Some of the media I liked when I was young I truly appreciate much more as an adult since I can understand them better and acknowledge the work and inspiration behind them.

I absolutely loved Harry Potter when I was growing up, and even though I feel like I have grown out of it now, the books were sorta like childhood friends when I was lonely. Even though I would not call myself a hard-core fan in the same way a lot of people are, I feel a sense of nostalgia and love for the books because they taught me to connect with other children in a way that I had not before. I also have books that I loved as a little kid that I like more each time a read them. While I loved To Kill a Mockingbird and Frankenstein when I was in elementary school, I didn't have the maturity to pick up on all of their themes. Each time I read them, I understood a little more and I found new reasons to love them. Now, having studied literature, my understanding of the texts has evolved, though my original feelings and nostalgia for the works remain.

I feel the same about a lot of old movies and TV shows. While I can see that some of them are silly or made for children, I can't help but love them simply because they made me happy as a child. Classic movies like Cary Grant films, the Marx Brothers and Citizen Kane only get better with age; they make me think of my childhood, but they are also incredible movies that have a lot to offer me as an adult.

Music in general has a lot of meaning for me, but hearing old Broadway showtunes and classic rock and roll definitely makes me think of singing with my parents on road trips.

Hobbies are tougher for me. Sometimes it can make me sad to try a hobby I liked as a child and find that I don't enjoy it anymore. The only childhood hobby that I can still enjoy in its entirety is probably building models, but I think that is because I am still decent at it, where my art skills and athletic skills have not held up nearly so well.

Lord Jade Cross

I still pretty much like the same things now as I did in my childhood. 

Grey-Ace Ventura
2 hours ago, Someone Else said:

The music my parents played when I was a kid, like Carpenters and Neil Diamond, still makes me feel and remember.

ME TOOOOOOOOO THIS WAS MY CHILDHOOD

Aside from music, pretty much every hobby I shared with my brother still has meaning because he was a huge part of my childhood. So I still like things like building stuff and video games like Call of Duty, Star Wars, Super Mario Brothers, and Sonic.

Music most definitely, I am quite boring really, but music from the past, in fact, most of the gigs I go to are bands from my youth, the Stranglers, Selecter, Beat, Specials, From the Jam, etc, I also love the Carpenters, Neil Diamond, the Beatles, Rolling Stones etc

J. van Deijck

Super Mario Bros :D

Journee_Stars

I think for me, it's just the overall punk rock genre since my childhood and my current self basically lives in that genre (even though I do listen to literally every type of music from time to time). Listening to any punk rock music just brings me back to other songs I used to listen to and still do listen to.

I'm basically still into the same type of stuff, at least with playing games and reading books (I was reading "high level" books young). I watched a lot of nature shows as a kid too so that's stuck with me. Although for games many I enjoyed as a kid I've realized were actually not very good and kid me just had high tolerance for terribleness. I have lost interest in playing with physical toys though, but on the other hand I now collect stuff which includes pretty looking toys like dragon toys so kinda still keep that around in a way. Same with plushes I don't play with them anymore but I sure do collect them. Going to be getting a giant isopod plush soon!

Music and animals are still very relevant to me but I have lost my love for books along the way.

On 12/2/2020 at 7:04 AM, Someone Else said:

I'm basically still a child at heart so...

I still love the Carpenters, Joan Baez, Tom Chapin, Bob Wills, Dolly Parton

I was raised going to nature centers and travelling to rural attractions and historical places, so I still very much enjoy that and have even based my major in nature education.

On 12/2/2020 at 8:24 AM, SocialMorays said:

ohnny Cash, Willie Nelson, Merle Haggard,

Yes, my childhood music.

I'm not entirely sure, honestly.

For example, the cartoon Ed, Edd 'n' Eddy. I watched it a lot as a kid, but in hindsight, the show's general theme of "kids are jerks to each other because that's what they do" would come off differently in our social media world. Probably for the best that it hasn't been rebooted... yet.

Then there's the video games I played. I've tried writing about the many games for the different Game Boy editions I've played, only to conclude that most of them weren't great. I wonder if I could bring myself to write about games for other systems (the Genesis is a high candidate). Maybe those entries would look more appealing.

SugarButterFlour

I still like a lot of things from when I was young. I used to be embarrassed by liking “kid’s stuff “ but now I’ve just embraced it for the most part. Like yes, I’m an adult who still likes dolls and cartoons.

The differences in my interests as a child and my interests now is that they've expanded as I've discovered things throughout the years. I still love most of the things I loved as a child. Not from nostalgia, but because it's good.

fooledbysecrecy

the film comet in moominland (finnish: muumipeikko ja pyrstötähti) kicked off my space obsession as a kid and it's still intact and i still love the movie. one of my favourites actually.

Archived