Ace Christmas cards

Eutierria

Does anyone know where I can buy a pack of ace Christmas cards? I've not seen any specific to aces and/or aros. 

Maybe a project to discuss between AVEN & Stonewall? 

Purple Red Panda
18 minutes ago, CBC said:

Why would Christmas cards have an asexual theme...?

I guess some asexual people might like to send ace themed ones. I don't really bother sending Christmas cards but if I did and could get hold of some asexual ones without making any real effort I probably would send ace ones.

1 hour ago, Eutierria said:

Does anyone know where I can buy a pack of ace Christmas cards? I've not seen any specific to aces and/or aros. 

Maybe a project to discuss between AVEN & Stonewall? 

Not a pack but on red bubble. I'll send you a link.

abandoned-account
1 hour ago, CBC said:

The same reason that there's a gay/LGBT-themed version of just about everything it seems.

I don't know if any stationery company has specifically Ace Christmas cards, but it would be totally cool if they did.

Many years ago I knew a person who said her sister was starting "her own business" that created "gay and lesbian gift baskets."  To this day, I still have no idea what would make a gay and lesbian gift basket different from a regular gift basket.

abandoned-account
2 hours ago, CBC said:

Mm yeah, so I gather, but Christmas cards seem strange. It's not quite the same as adorning a mug with a pride flag or something. Christmas has literally nothing to do with sexuality, whereas random everyday items (the aforementioned mug, something like a T-shirt, jewellery, a keychain, whatever) can just be ways of displaying pride. But Christmas cards? If I sent a bi-themed card to people, it would seem like I was saying 'Happy Christmas, I'm bisexual!' Which would be, you know, odd.

Apparently it is a thing. It's basically like those people who'll say "btw I'm <insert sexuality here>" in every other sentence even if it's completely irrelevant to the conversation. I can understand the desire to promote acceptance and connect with others over these things, but it seems some people want to make it their entire personality or something.

4 hours ago, CBC said:

I have a love of puns & thought it could be quite nice to have that visibility. I saw one recently that read "Make the yuletide gay" in rainbow colours which made me think of how I haven't seen any ace or aro ones. 

4 hours ago, GingerRose said:

Not a pack but on red bubble. I'll send you a link.

Thanks 😊

3 hours ago, Veezle said:

The same reason that there's a gay/LGBT-themed version of just about everything it seems.

It makes me smile when I see stuff like that. Religious holidays can be difficult for some LGBTQIA+ people, I think it's wonderful to have that little nod of validation & support. 

2 hours ago, thylacine said:

I don't know if any stationery company has specifically Ace Christmas cards, but it would be totally cool if they did.

Many years ago I knew a person who said her sister was starting "her own business" that created "gay and lesbian gift baskets."  To this day, I still have no idea what would make a gay and lesbian gift basket different from a regular gift basket.

Maybe the flag colours(?) I don't actually know - would be cool to find out though. 

55 minutes ago, Veezle said:

Apparently it is a thing. It's basically like those people who'll say "btw I'm <insert sexuality here>" in every other sentence even if it's completely irrelevant to the conversation. I can understand the desire to promote acceptance and connect with others over these things, but it seems some people want to make it their entire personality or something.

Hmm...I can see your side too. 

Maybe it's our difference in life experience & outlook. I feel like it has the potential to be such a joyful thing. Especially for people who have had to hide it or too scared to be out as ace and/or aro and getting to the point of acceptance & at long last feeling like something finally fits. 

abandoned-account
1 hour ago, Eutierria said:

Hmm...I can see your side too. 

Maybe it's our difference in life experience & outlook. I feel like it has the potential to be such a joyful thing. Especially for people who have had to hide it or too scared to be out as ace and/or aro and getting to the point of acceptance & at long last feeling like something finally fits. 

Eh, I suppose. While I do love communities like AVEN that help spread visibility and knowledge about asexuality (because it’s something that’s very needed) and where I can find people who understand me (as I like many had to grow up listening to BS like “you’ll change your mind!!!”), I don’t really feel the need to talk about my ace-ness constantly with everyone I meet because I have no reason to and chances are they’re not going to give a shit anyway and will even get annoyed if I do it consistently. 
While it’s not the same as sexuality, I do relate to the feeling of being demonized and invalidated as my own parents and relatives treated me that way because of mental illness (and not meeting their standards in general). I’m now overjoyed that I’ve found people who love and support me how I am, but it’s still not something I feel to need to tell to the whole world. 
All in all, I’d rather be acknowledged for who I am altogether as a person and not just a label for a specific trait or interest.

30 minutes ago, Veezle said:

I’m now overjoyed that I’ve found people who love and support me how I am

💜

31 minutes ago, Veezle said:

All in all, I’d rather be acknowledged for who I am altogether as a person and not just a label for a specific trait or interest.

100% 

If "ace Christmas cards" are indeed a thing, I wouldn't know... they don't seem to be. Honestly, though, the main reason I clicked this topic was because I thought it would be about joke asexuality-themed slogans for the holidays. Something like "Merry Christmas! Spare me the mistletoe, please". Or "My ideal partner for winter snuggling is hardcover and has 200 pages".

I thought of those just now... they're nothing too special, but you get the idea.

(I'll still regret them tomorrow, though.)

11 hours ago, Captain Jay said:

If "ace Christmas cards" are indeed a thing, I wouldn't know... they don't seem to be. Honestly, though, the main reason I clicked this topic was because I thought it would be about joke asexuality-themed slogans for the holidays. Something like "Merry Christmas! Spare me the mistletoe, please". Or "My ideal partner for winter snuggling is hardcover and has 200 pages".

I thought of those just now... they're nothing too special, but you get the idea.

(I'll still regret them tomorrow, though.)

😂🤣

Not all aces dislike kisses and / or cuddles. I have been super-careful to step away from overhanging mistletoe at Christmas events - getting kisses from people I don't know makes me want to scrub myself with disinfectant. Not certain that's an ace thing though. 

I properly laughed at the second suggestion, 200-pages on Christmas Day does sound amazing. Being able to share the day with people special to you can be beautiful too. 

On 12/1/2020 at 11:23 AM, Eutierria said:

😂🤣

Not all aces dislike kisses and / or cuddles. I have been super-careful to step away from overhanging mistletoe at Christmas events - getting kisses from people I don't know makes me want to scrub myself with disinfectant. Not certain that's an ace thing though. 

I properly laughed at the second suggestion, 200-pages on Christmas Day does sound amazing. Being able to share the day with people special to you can be beautiful too. 

Hey, someone actually liked my jokes. Again, I came up with them on a whim, so I wasn't quite expecting that.

It's pretty clear that the idea would be reliant on stereotypes somewhat. There's not much room for nuance on greeting cards... the 3-to-5-dollar cost is presumably because of the materials more than anything.

Alaska Native Manitou
On 11/30/2020 at 1:54 PM, Eutierria said:

I have a love of puns & thought it could be quite nice to have that visibility. I saw one recently that read "Make the yuletide gay" in rainbow colours which made me think of how I haven't seen any ace or aro ones. 

I remember finding "Don we now our gay apparel"  an interesting phrase, though transvestite apparel might make more sense.santa-claus-asexual-pride-flag-sunglasse  This card can be found here.

Archived