Read the thing first

A User

so, i was wondering, if there was a race, and the total distance is, for example, 1 km.

and one guy is going slow

the other one goes fast

does the faster one take more steps, or does the slower guy take more steps?

i mean, if they had like a step counter or something.

the slower one COULD, but idk

the faster COULD TOO, but idk

someone help

Wouldn't that depend on step length and stuff like the racer's stamina?

3 minutes ago, Georgi said:

If they were to have the same step length and the step counter were to be really accurate... wouldn't it be the same number of steps, as the distance is the same?

maybe, but the faster person takes more steps per amount of time, and takes less time to get to the end

the slower one takes less steps per amount of time, BUT he takes more time

im not sure...?

2 minutes ago, A User said:

maybe, but the faster person takes more steps per amount of time, and takes less time to get to the end

the slower one takes less steps per amount of time, BUT he takes more time

im not sure...?

Hmm, if we take into consideration just the time, distance and the length of steps, I still think is the same number.

But in reality, I think legs move differently while running then while walking. So the steps done while running may not be full, as in the case of walking. So I guess if we take the walking steps as standard... things get complicated 🤣. The steps are not the same I guess. But from a general perspective, I think the running person would do more 'incomplete' steps. But are the incomplete steps less significant then the walking steps? So maybe it is not comparable, as the steps done during walking are different from those done while running?

However, I think I am overthinking this way too much and you may ask this for practical reasons. I think the steps counters (if they are good) don't take into consideration if the steps are complete or not, I think they take in consideration just the time, distance and the length of steps, so walking and running is the same in what concerns the numbers of steps, but different from an energetical point of view.

Horse Ham Radio

Take total distance covered by each and divide by stride(/step) length to get number of steps.

Typically, a higher speed results in longer strides, so the faster person would take fewer steps.

However the faster person may also end up pacing back and forth at the finish line waiting for the slower person. In this case, the faster person may end up taking more steps in the time it takes for the slower one to catch up.

1 minute ago, Georgi said:

Oh my, only now I have realized this is not about walking vs. running, but slower running vs faster running 😬

exactly 🤣

I think that typically, for human anatomy, speed increases as step size increases, so the slower guy would probably take more steps.

Its most likely, for the 'faster running = longer strides' reasons that others have given, that the faster runner will take less steps. However, its possible for the slower person to have more steps. This would require that the slower person to be taking long strides, but slowly, and the faster person to be taking a lot of very quick, smaller steps. The only realistic scenario I can imagine going this way is a fast child racing a slow adult.

Okay; I watched a clip in slow motion, from a previous, Olympic race, then counted how many steps the first place winner took, compared to a slower runner.

I won't spoil it for you, in case you'd like to test your theory out; so, here's the clip:

Usain Bolt's 9.58: the night he obliterated the 100m world record | NBC Sports - YouTube

Time is not relevant to distance unless you are trying to calculate speed. The step length is affected by factors like height, weight and desire. If one person wants to get the race over with quickly, they would likely take greater strides but, if they have shorter legs than the other participant then their strides would not reach the same distance per step either way. If I was one of the participants, I would end up being the slow one. I am easily distracted by my environment and would treat the experience as a nature walk. 

Archived