61 members have voted

1. 1. I get offended easily.

• True
    • False
  2. 2. Check what offends you.

• Slurs
    • Political incorrectness
    • Social abnormalities or behavior
    • "Improper" use of language: grammar mistakes, pronunciation errors, spelling...
    • None of the above.
  3. 3. People get offended too often.

• I agree.
    • I disagree.

Lord Jade Cross

Improper grammar use because I suffered enough at the hands of my teacher as a child that I demand everyone be forced to write correctly now. How dare they write improperly. Why I never. In my time people learned and wrote correctly. None of this hogwash  :P

I get irrationally angry at bad grammar and spelling, or using phrases incorrectly. 😆 I was watching a video just this morning and the person said "I could care less", which soured the rest of the video for me. 😖

Purple Red Panda
1 hour ago, Raindrops said:

get irrationally angry at bad grammar and spelling

I dearly desire to be a spelling and grammar nazi but I'm twarted by the shittiness of my own spelling and grammar 😢

The only thing that really offends me is people who are jealous of those who want to drive faster than they do and go out of the way to block the faster driver

Lots of things offend me : people not showing up for work, colleagues who think I'm hitting on them because I want to get to know them better over coffee, surveys about being offended that doesn't include things that I'm offended by.

Anthracite_Impreza

Honestly? Can't think of a single thing. I can get upset and angry, but that's not really the same. ... or maybe it is and I'm just too alexythymic to know the difference.

I am hard to offend. 

Even offended however, I tend to want to hear things out prior to reacting. 

I agree with this below quote:

"If people can't control their own emotions, then they have to start trying to control other people's behavior

Keep in mind, we talked about everything as kids at the dinner table. From our days, to poop, to vomit to whatever. 

It as a result takes a lot to get under my skin. Even an ignorant statement won't be enough. 

People nowadays, get offended way too easily. 

5 hours ago, CBC said:

acronym.

And I used to be the person who would correct people who called LGBT an acronym...initialism.

Now I'm like whatever...

When I was first learning how to lead ballroom dances, and one of my female dance partners randomly started leading without asking first. I was so offended, lol. I didn't make a big deal of it or anything, it just annoyed me because she wouldn't have pulled that with an amab person.

rainbowocollie

I get offended at mainly things that I feel very very strongly about, like mental health, addiction, LGBT topics.....

I don't normally get offended, but I do get fed up with people. Generally, people's actions reflect poorly on them, not me. I can get outraged if they are truely awful, but offense is saved for the random occasions I take things personally.

And to all those who care about grammar, language evolves over time. If it didn't we'd still grunt and point to communicate. Once something is commonly used, it is 100% correct. I suggest you check out this video.

I feel like offense is a limited resource that should be used only when really necessary.  If people get offended at too many things, the offense loses its meaning. 

Not sure if Offend is the right word for it, but what tends to "offend" me is injustice and unfairness and cheating and dishonesty and stuff like that (and people that do it, go along with it, or tacitly accept it as "just the way things are" or "everybody does it" - even if we all do it to some extent at least we can strive to do better).

The only person who decides what I get offended by is me.

Also, yes, people act "offended" WAY too easily nowadays.

7 hours ago, Homer said:

Also, yes, people act "offended" WAY too easily nowadays.

It's very interesting to me, when a question is asked:

"Do raicst jokes bother you?"

some White people: yes

some Black people: nope

People love to get offended for someone else.

"That's offends me because it would probably be offensive to someone else who isn't even here right now! I'm disgusted!"

I'm going to say that I am rarely offended, but that is because I find very little to be "offensive". "Offensive" is in the eye of the beholder. I usually have no issue with people doing things which many others consider offensive because it's a matter of context.

In the proper time and place I'll allow pretty much anything "offensive" to go. I don't believe in censorship or political correctness, but I do believe in "right place, right time".

• 3 weeks later...
J. van Deijck

I don't waste my life on being offended. Today people seem to get offended over the trivial things and I personally find it somewhat silly.

I'm glad to see this thread is what it is because I feel the same :D it's hard to offend me. I'll be upset if someone is being a dick to someone else deliberately, whether it's me or another person, but I wouldn't say I get offended in abstract and I entirely agree people get offended far too easily nowadays. I'm actually happy to be around politically incorrect people most of the time, since I can be rather politically incorrect myself.

Bad grammar does annoy me to a degree, but I wouldn't say it's "offensive". If anything it makes me roll my eyes and think, "good grief, can't this person pick up a damn dictionary?"

1. No.

2. Slurs tend to offend me the most and even then, it gotta be used with heavy ill-intentions to really get me upset. Casual usage I don't like either but I won't hold a big grudge at least. Due to being Asexual and Homoromantic, the Fa- and Q- slurs I do hate the most due to a personal bias but I do hate all slurs.

3. Yes, I do think there is a lot of people whom are too easily offended by a lot of the more littler things that don't matter as much.

Forest Spirit

Hmmm... hard question. I am quite sensitive to language and find slurs but also insensitive "jokes" offensive, the result of growing up with a narcissist who says something one way but means it the opposite, negative way... but there are also enough things I don't care about or don't care about the same way as others.

"social abnormalities or behavior" - not sure what is meant with that? I'm definitely not "socially normal" 😅

While I do notice language mistakes (grammar, spelling, pronunciation) it's not something I make into a big problem as long as you're understandable. As someone who likes learning languages, mistakes are just part of that. The only thing I take offence with is when people bully others for not being perfect/mistake free, especially non-native speakers. But I guess that simply ties in with having an issue with bullying in general, as well as lying, exploiting people, that sort of thing...

I wouldn't say I get offended too easily, I'd say I get angered too easily.

On 12/2/2020 at 10:53 PM, GingerRose said:

People love to get offended for someone else.

This always annoyed me. More than a racist slight.

I experienced this with a friend who had never experienced racism before. 

At a Wal-Mart, clerk stops me before I reach the exit doors. Asks me to see my receipt, which I show him.

It was a vacuum. He asks me what brings me to the store, which I sort of explain in a self explanatory fashion, pointing to my cart with the vacuum in it o_O

He then takes his sweet time to examine the receipt, while scanning my face like I had just handed him an ID. Then back to the receipt, like he expected me to break under the pressure and just tell him:

"OK, I can't take it anymore! I stole it! My getaway car is the red Prius right there!" *desperately makes a getaway attempt, only to realize my car goes 0-60 in about 120 seconds.

Then I got it from the friend:

"Did you not see that?!"

Yeah. He racially profiled me.

"How are you okay with this?!"

This isn't the first time I experienced this or racism...

*Friend goes on a histrionic fit about being black not automatically subjecting me to this, how we need to talk to management, head office...call the coast guard!*

I am wanting to drop it, as not worth the headache.

*friend creates a bigger headache/scene.*

That's not the kicker. Its the fact he tells me how I am supposed to feel about it. 

I think it's futile to tell people what they *should* be offended about.  Everyone gets upset by a slightly different set of things, and there's no way to force people to feel a certain way about something.

Also, people have always been Terribly Offended over minor things.  Why do you think there were so many duels in the Early Modern period?  Folks flying off the handle over small insults is, unfortunately, never going to go away.

Obsessed_With_Dragons

I don't exactly get offended easily, but I am extremely quick to anger. Firstly, I get fairly upset when people refuse to listen to me or take me seriously. In addition, I absolutely hate it when people lie or play the victim to get out of scenarios where they said or promised something related to me in some way. It's even worse for me when they are adults because other people will automatically agree with them in almost any scenario. Lastly, I get very angry when people pull the "I do this for you, so you should be more grateful and do this for me..." card, especially when it is something they are legally obligated to do or that I didn't even ask for.

• 1 month later...
J. van Deijck

If anyone is offended by grammatical/spelling mistakes another person makes, especially a foreigner... well, it speaks a lot about them, not about the person who makes the mistake. I make mistakes in English, too, because it's still not my native language. Try to speak Polish, fluently and without mistakes. Then we can talk.

29 minutes ago, Jelle van der Lee said:

If anyone is offended by grammatical/spelling mistakes another person makes, especially a foreigner... well, it speaks a lot about them, not about the person who makes the mistake. I make mistakes in English, too, because it's still not my native language. Try to speak Polish, fluently and without mistakes. Then we can talk.

Ironically, most people I know who are offended by grammar or spelling mistakes are not fluent in more than one language.

Hey, I'm monolingual (barely, let's say I get by :P ). (stole this joke from a comedian) :) 

But seriously, I am in awe of anyone who can manage more than one language. More often than not, when I see someone apologizing for their English it's someone for whom English is not their native language, and also more often than not their grammar and spelling are better than a lot of native speakers. Many write so well I forget they aren't native speakers. I wish I were even half as good at another language. I know it takes work to get there (and/or maybe an early start in life with another language, which we don't often get in the US school system).

I get offended when I want attention and my dog ignores me. 😂

Archived