Offended and Aging

GingerRose

The older I get, the less offended I feel about things.  

26 members have voted

1. 1. The older I get, the less offended I feel about things.

• True
    • False

Whatever Logo | Lettering design, Typography inspiration, Typography tshirt

Slurs, political correctness, proper use of language, rules, social norms...

I turned to be offended more often the older I got. Desillusion and the realisation that life is almost nothing like it's portrayed in TV. I had a lot more hope as child even though I've always been quite grim. TV was the only thing giving me knowledge about the world. With becoming older I got more oppurtunities to do reality-checks. And most of the time, I was super-disappointed.

Lord Jade Cross

I would say it's a give and give situation. Certain situations that as a child didn't bother me (likely because I didn't understand then) now do and vice versa.

Though I can understand that the older we get and the closer we are to death, the more it becomes evident that nothing in life really matters in the long run. Whether you did what you wanted or what you were told wether you're happy or miserable, wether you can accept death in full or fear it and regret everything you ever did, in the end, there is no reward and you could even say no punishment for it. You just cease to exists and suddenly everything that may have been perceived as a problem, is no longer one.

the great acescape

I was thinking about this the other day and I am wondering if it's not me "becoming less offended" so much as "becoming offended by different things in different ways".

I know there must have been a certain example or incident that brought this line of thinking on, but I just can't recall what it was. I still think I'm pretty hypersensitive to some things, which is why I'm hesitant to say "yeah I've chilled out". 

Late teens early twenties I was caught up in being offended by everything. By the time I reached around 25-26 I sort of stepped back and stopped caring so much. 🤷‍♀️

Agrees, unless you're holding me up when I'm on the road 

As I get older, I'm less offended with social injustices and more at things that are in my direct environment. As such, I gave no answer to the survey as I did not identify with the either true or false question.

Anthracite_Impreza

I give so little shit about most things nowadays it's clinically abnormal, but that's more long-term depression and a gutting of my psyche than aging.

I got out of the shower not too long ago. Realized my curtains had been left open. 

I just didn't care, and carried on. If I shocked a neighbor. Good. 

I used to work near an injection site. So, I have seen it all. 

Had a drug addict yell racial obscenities at me, to one breaking a bottle over her head and starting to punch herself. 

Honestly. From travel to that. There is nothing I haven't seen. 

I am hard to surprise or offend. 

I feel like people putting no are under 25. Am I wrong?

The older I've gotten, I just don't care anymore. I find that ironically people love to find things to get offended by.

As I have grown and aged over the decades I have realized some of the things and some of the people that might have offended me when I was younger don't really matter so much. I think that's part of wisdom.

At 25, I was obsessed of what others thought of me. 

Fast forward a decade. I couldn't care less, as long as its the genuine me being put out there. 

I think for me, I was raised by crazy immigrant parents. 

So grew up in an environment where my parents were blunt about everything.

IE Telling me how witches got burned alive in their country. 

Me disobeying in Haiti? Lashing with an "igoise" would be my punishment. 

My mother showed me her scars when I was a first grader. 

For those not familiar. Goat skin treated then cured in salt to make it literally cut through skin as it was used as a belt. 

I also grew in a generation where kids with difficulty didn't have terms to help label them politely.

They were "short schoolbus kids", "slow", or whatever.

People didn't pass away. They died.

Milk expires. Not people. 

You got bullied? Knock them out. Bullying done. Now we have safe spaces. 

I fall flat on my face or fail. My parents would tell me to get up. I would want to cry as a kid, but had to harden myself to just put one foot in front of the other. 

Down side, is I grew up denying pain. Stuffed it down. 

But once I was able to accept pain, to openly talk about it, getting offended just wasn't part of my vocabulary.

I guess my upbringing forced me to question everything. So if someone approached me with racism, I was curious behind the why vs being triggered by it. 

Maybe am weird. I don't know.

Though I said yes to the survey question, I find there are things I find I get really offended about more these days than I did as a younger person. I'd say it's a matter of perspective and gaining knowledge about the world and realizing what should be found wanting and what can be waived off as a "meh, it's not that big a deal" moments. It helps too that I have a younger person in my life who I want to see happy, so I tend to get upset and offended at things that might have an impact on her future happiness, so there's that as well.

Giving less and less of a shit is the best thing about getting older. Being "offended" is overrated anyway. "I'm so offended" is not a valid argument, ever.

Archived