90 members have voted

1. 1. How do you peel a banana

• From the stem
    • From the other side
    • Other
    • Don't

This poll is closed to new votes

OK, I know this should be hot box ;)

Apparently we humans peel bananas from the Incorrect side (from the stem) according to a character in a TV drama I am watching

While apes, and chimpanzees peel it from the other side

Alejandrogynous

If you peel from the other side, the peel splits evenly every time and you don't get all those stringy bits. It's objectively better.

I might end up peeling bananas from the other side, but I'm not a ghost yet.

nutterwithasolderingiron

i figured out a way years ago to unpeel a banana with one hand.
grab the banana by the stem. bring your elbow into your body. pull the banana towards your shoulder making sure the curvy side is towards your body then flick the banana forward. it's difficult to explain but if anyone is curious i'll record myself doing it. 

I like to peel from the stalk end, and then you have a sort of little cup to hold the fruit in while you eat it.

1 hour ago, iff said:

OK, I know this should be hot box ;)

Apparently we humans peel bananas from the Incorrect side (from the stem) according to a character in a TV drama I am watching

I do it like apes and I was shocked when my friends from other parts of the world were peeling them from the stem... and of course they were also shocked about the way I peel the bananas 🤣. And I thought I was peeling them wrong... until this post 🤣

1 hour ago, nutterwithasolderingiron said:

i figured out a way years ago to unpeel a banana with one hand.
grab the banana by the stem. bring your elbow into your body. pull the banana towards your shoulder making sure the curvy side is towards your body then flick the banana forward. it's difficult to explain but if anyone is curious i'll record myself doing it. 

Please do, now I need to know! 😆

Hold the stem and peel from the blossom end, of course!  Why would someone choose to do it the hard way?

Fraggle Underdark

I heard about the chimp method and tried it but it leaves this hard little black part that I don't like to eat and removing it means I have to get my fingers messy. This may be a controversial opinion, but chimps are not experts on most things, including bananas. Peeling from the stem works just fine.

I peel from the bottom. Maybe about 7 or 8 years ago, I broke my right index finger, and ever since then, even though I made a complete recovery, I actually lost the ability to peel from the stem. I can't get quite the right grip and I end up just pulverizing the tip of the banana through the skin instead of peeling it. So I'm going to be peeling from the bottom for life now.

Fraggle Underdark
Just now, Mackenzie Holiday said:

Maybe about 7 or 8 years ago, I broke my right index finger, and ever since then, even though I made a complete recovery, I actually lost the ability to peel from the stem.

Then how is that a "complete recovery"?!?

1 minute ago, fragglesinthedark said:

Then how is that a "complete recovery"?!?

Because I have my full range of motion back, but you make a good point. :P

It depends on the banana. I have heard about this years ago and tried it out, but mostly, I still peel from the stem because the other method is more likely to get your hands dirty. However, I DID change the way I tie my shoes after learning that I have done it wrong all my life.

Fraggle Underdark

Yeah the shoe trick is great, fast and easy once you get it down. 

Shoe trick:

Spoiler

Pinch at the end, it's easier. Then you can eat the mushy part first to have the good end for later!

I go back and forth between liking bananas and not liking them and right now I don't like them so I don't peel them, but when I do like them I always peeled them from the stem.

Genuinely can't remember the last time I ate a banana. 

I generally sort of grab the stem and then rip it until it peels, which occasionally has unfortunate consequences. But usually it works just fine.

I used to peel from the stem, then someone showed me the other way which doesn't damage the banana. Now I only do it that way. 😁 Just pinch and peel!

I peel from the stem, it works fine.

On 11/28/2020 at 2:10 PM, iff said:

Chimpanzees are pretty stupid though... they eat each others new born babies and stuff. I'm not sure we should emulate them 🤔

3 minutes ago, theV0ID said:

I peel from the stem, it works fine.

Chimpanzees are pretty stupid though... they eat each others new born babies and stuff. I'm not sure we should emulate them 🤔

People are essentially just fancy chimpanzees. If anything the chimps are more honest about it. I peel bananas from the stem out of habit but pinching the other end is more efficient. 

Pulling on the stem is the only way I can get the leverage to tear the skin.

i can't open it from the top, like. it just always bends and mushes the banana inside. I open it from the bottom so i can just pinch it a little and the peel splits open.

Alejandrogynous
2 hours ago, ER2742 said:

Pulling on the stem is the only way I can get the leverage to tear the skin.

You just pinch the bottom, it pops right open.

Bluedragon363

I do not care for bananas, so I don't need to peel them.  🙄

fooledbysecrecy
On 11/28/2020 at 3:00 PM, Moonman said:

I saw a video of a chimpanzee pinching the end to split the skin so I've done it that way ever since. 

this is the way!

Archived