Post Graduation

GingerRose

If you have already graduated college...

What did you do after graduating? Job? Internship? Volunteering? Grad School? Something else?

Grad school... while being in school I thought that grad school would be the best fit for me, but after I've gotten admitted, I've started wishing I had not been in such a rush for another degree, have a gap year and go for volunteering abroad (but now I've just realized that probably the entire think wouldn't have probably happened because of Covid). 

Lord Jade Cross

Job as I knew time had begun ticking and student loans were going to start knocking at my door. Had I known then what I know now, I would have started working while I was in high school

Picked up a job, and zero regrets on that front - after 16 years of education, it was definitely time for a change :D   (Not that I disliked college or high school, but 'twas time.)

Grad school. No regrets, though a bit like @Georgi, I wish I took a break after graduating to volunteer and also to work on myself. I was already feeling a bit burnt out by the end of undergrad and that feeling's only gotten worse, especially with all of this *gestures at 2020*

Grad school.

Then, after grad school, kept up my side business while looking for a corporate job, then ended up taking on another part-time job that turned into a career in tutoring, not at all what I had been going for after grad school, but I'm not complaining.

J. van Deijck

Second diploma, then starting a job. I had a quite solid background, even though I haven't finished the university. 

I also used to feel like PhD is for me but it turned out that I prefer work to university. 

WhereTheSkiesEnd

I graduated Spring 2019. I had a job in wildlife conservation, but quit after I was offer a better job. Which was suppose to start April 2020. The job offer was rescinded due to the pandemic and I've been in limbo ever since. Regret quitting, but it's not like I could have seen the future.

I don't think grad school would be for me. I don't want to spend the money and I feel like I barely made it through undergrad.

I finished my Master's at the end of 2019, then worked a temp job for a few months before covid basically put my life on hold...I then spent a few months applying for jobs and doing some professional certifications on the side until I was offered my first permanent out-of-uni job in summer.

I was what they called a non-traditional student, meaning I didn't go to college right out of high school. By the time I went to grad school I was nearly 40. In the meantime, I worked a few different jobs. Then after grad school I got into my last job and new career related to my degrees. Worked that for nearly 2 decades and now I'm retired.

J. van Deijck

I attend school now alongside my work, but I'm not sure how much it counts.

50 minutes ago, SpaceDustbin said:

Master's - work - PhD - and now back to work 

Might be my route too in the future

On 11/26/2020 at 7:07 AM, StrangeDruid said:

Graduated this past spring. Currently doing a work placement designed for youth to get into the environmental sector. Planning on travelling and doing a post-grad certificate in the near future.

What's your degree in?

11 hours ago, Jelle van der Lee said:

I attend school now alongside my work, but I'm not sure how much it counts.

What are you studying?

On 11/26/2020 at 7:50 AM, WhereTheSkiesEnd said:

wildlife conservation

That's awesome. What did you do with your job?

I'm on a similar path.

Forest Spirit

(Never quite sure what college is...)

After finishing school, which takes 13 years here, I went to university for 5 years, finished my Master's degree (in astrophysics) a month ago and am now (slowly) writing a paper about my thesis, learning a new language (due to possibly moving there) and trying to come up with a decent plan on what to do after this Covid mess has died down (so February/March maybe?), aka getting a job and moving places.

Am kind of sick of university for the time being, maybe in 5-10 years again... Idk. But with online courses!

Wait... this also means I've been in education for 18 years😶 

I luckily managed a gap year before university to go travelling, back when travelling was still a thing...

I did a niche technical degree so I then had to go into a sort of training contract for a year to fully qualify. Luckily for me, that converted into a permanent contract once I qualified.

10 years later I work in a completely different field and I have plans of studying towards a second degree part-time (I say “towards” as it’s modular and I can stop studying earlier than a full second degree, which I might do!).

WhereTheSkiesEnd
7 hours ago, GingerRose said:

That's awesome. What did you do with your job?

I'm on a similar path.

I worked mainly in wildness areas hit by wildfires. My work involved invasive plant removal, setting up erosion control measure, and planting native species.

J. van Deijck
14 hours ago, GingerRose said:

What are you studying?

I learn Dutch language. Only this and nothing else :P

Tried to get onto various PhD programs but got rejected, eventually got a not particularly relevant job instead after about 5 months of applying. 

I got a degree that I realize now was nearly worthless, so when I graduated I had to boomerang back to live with my parents for a year. I worked a full-time retail job at a nice clothing store for that year. Retail gets a terrible rap, but I really didn't dislike that job, except for during the holidays. At almost exactly the 1 year mark though, I got accepted into a paid internship in another state for a small company I really wanted to work for. After 6 months in my one-year internship, a full-time spot opened up and I snagged it. I've been at the same company ever since, going on 7 years now. I'm very tired of it by this point, and I'm applying to other jobs, but I'm grateful to have had a good job for so long. The pay is bad and there's no room to grow, but at least I have good coworkers.  

Archived