Hi

cait_g12

So I've been using AVEN as a lifeline for a long, long time (2ish years?) and finally decided to create an account tonight. It's helped me a lot in understanding the ins and outs of my orientation, and when I'm feeling particularly down, it's provided a healthy option for me: rather than panic about the rest of my life, I can read about people that have either a) had the same issue(s) and lived through it and/or b) become an ace success story. I've kind of come to the point where I've convinced myself that if I start posting, I'll be able to make those things happen for me. So here we are, whether that turns out to be the case or not. 

I'm based in the U.S. (anxiety abounds, haha!) and am currently pursuing a degree in Environmental Science because I lovelovelove trees/plants. (I'm considering switching to botany, but I'm afraid that it'll push back my expected grad date and also I'm not sure my school offers it? Which would mean transferring. Again.) Right now I live in Texas (DFW), which isn't my super favorite, and I would like to one day own a farmstead (more like a "food forest," which is a super cool concept, imo) and build my own cobb cottage on the land. Because PLANTS! And HORSES! And COWS! 

Also, I love to write. Mostly I think it's because I have an overactive imagination (re: "I have a million plans for a farm that, statistically speaking, will not happen without some catastrophic societal collapse") and a love of language, but it bleeds over into things like this. So apologies if this becomes too long or ramble-y. (You don't have to keep reading! I won't take any offense!) 

I'm a homoromantic asexual, which I've known for quite awhile, though I've never been in a true relationship. (I have had some devastatingly painful crushes, though.) I am terrified of dying alone and would like to find my group and/or my person. I am absolute crap at finding people and have always had a hard time making friends because my interests (primarily cobb cottages and food forests) are too "weird." (So if you like the concept of a dirt house, or horses, or cows or dogs or plants....you know where to find me.) 

I'm digressing. Anyway, long story short: I'm super ace, super into plants/animals, not great at meeting people, and am tired of being alone. Interaction seemed like the logical next step. 

Welcome to AVEN! I hope you will find some friends here (a lot of amazing people have gathered here so that's a great foundation for that)! :cake:

Have some cake (I'm sure you've come across this tradition in the past 2 years):

https://www.cakecentral.com/blog/61700/top-birch-tree-cakes

Top Birch Tree Cakes - CakeCentral.com

Welcome!

You have already did the first thing in interacting with people (through posting) and this is a good thing :D

Have you tried to find groups about the specific eco stuff you are into on Facebook or other types of social media? For example, I like diy eco stuffs and I have found several groups on it already. Also, I think you could make a separate post in the Off-Topic section to see maybe some other people are interested in what you are interested.

And, the 'welcome cake' :)

blackforestcake3.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Oh my goodness, am I SO happy to see someone who knows about food forests 😍 I looove the concept too ^^ so here's maybe a fitting cake...

4dd60fc5025ce7538f0a1993defabb41.jpg

With that, a warm welcome - though I guess you've been around here far longer than I have ^^ Anyways, I can relate to a lot of what you're writing - plants and animals are amazing indeed ^^ as are languages... and as for unrealistic plans, I have this mental 'picture' that I've built up inside of my head for years about a huge mansion with solar panels and own food forest, on a (flying) island... though there are a lot more details than that 🙈 ... and if there's anything I'm really not good at, it's finding people in real life; basically, the very few friends I have found me, not the other way around ^^" Thank you for writing and sharing, being you, and having "weird" interests ☺️

Welcome! Ooh environmental science? What’s it like studying that then? I imagine it can get quite intense sometimes, working out the proper soil pH and preventing any fertilisers from causing eutrophication? Or perhaps it’s more biology based with the movement of fluids through a plant, or enzyme reactions? :) 

Tree-Frog-Frangipani-cake.jpg

On 11/24/2020 at 2:38 PM, Lichley said:

Welcome! Ooh environmental science? What’s it like studying that then? I imagine it can get quite intense sometimes, working out the proper soil pH and preventing any fertilisers from causing eutrophication? Or perhaps it’s more biology based with the movement of fluids through a plant, or enzyme reactions? :) 

Tree-Frog-Frangipani-cake.jpg

Thank you! It's kind of weird, because I just transferred schools again. When I was attending a physical university, all that I did was walk around and take pictures of/identify plants and write about chloroplasts and memorize copious amounts of scientific names for soooo many species in North America. I did some work with soil pH and things, but I tend to like my "almanac tests" better, because you can do them on your own. Now, though, I'm entirely online and will likely finish out my degree that way because it gives me more flexibility to work/save money. Less fun, but it gets me that sheet of paper! :)

Are you an environmental science/bio nerd, too? Because if so, that is very exciting!! 

Welcome!

I had my own landscaping business for years if you ever need to talk plants with anyone :). While I am a Neuroscience student, I still find plants and Environmental Science fascinating. I also happen to writer (though I am even more an avid reader), so feel free to hit me up if you ever feel in need of a friend.

Have a succulent cake!

Nature-Inspired Cakes Capture the Beauty of the Earth and Outer Space

20 hours ago, cait_g12 said:

Are you an environmental science/bio nerd, too? Because if so, that is very exciting!! 

Chemistry nerd myself, so soil pH and chloroplast stuff sometimes comes up under organics, still super cool to hear about it though :) 

On 11/27/2020 at 12:51 AM, Steel13 said:

Welcome!

I had my own landscaping business for years if you ever need to talk plants with anyone :). While I am a Neuroscience student, I still find plants and Environmental Science fascinating. I also happen to writer (though I am even more an avid reader), so feel free to hit me up if you ever feel in need of a friend.

Have a succulent cake!

Nature-Inspired Cakes Capture the Beauty of the Earth and Outer Space

That. Is an amazing cake. I am going to print it out and take it to whichever bakery is nearest so I can have it in my possession. I am always down to talk plants with people!!! What kind of writing do you do? I think I also tend to be more of a reader than a writer (considering I've read far, far more books than I've written, haha). 

3 hours ago, cait_g12 said:

That. Is an amazing cake. I am going to print it out and take it to whichever bakery is nearest so I can have it in my possession. I am always down to talk plants with people!!! What kind of writing do you do? I think I also tend to be more of a reader than a writer (considering I've read far, far more books than I've written, haha). 

I like writing novels (when I have an idea); I used to write a lot of fantasy and magical realism, but it seems that I have gravitated more towards realistic fiction in recent years. I have also recently discovered my love for essay writing- I am taking a creative nonfiction class that has been very enjoyable. I learned to write in a very Victorian style, so I sometimes set my work more in that time so there is less of a clash, but I am currently learning to write in a more modern manner to make my nonfiction a little more relatable.

Hi! Welcome. I'm really into dairy cows, so I don't think your interests in plants & animals is weird. Most of my college friends are also animal science majors like me.

I also love reading and writing. Guilty of having an overactive imagination too. Lol. I always loved fantasy and dystopian/apocalypse fiction.

• 1 month later...
NickyTannock

A very belated welcome to AVEN! And Happy New Year!

It's a tradition here to welcome new members by offering cake, and even though I'm so very late welcoming you, here's a "Cat" cake,

https://cakesdecor.com/cakes/210917-cat
dzf6lirdyaevfbbszgaq.jpg

Archived