Hi everyone!

elmas

I discovered asexuality something like two weeks ago. I was reading a book with an ace character and the author also elaborated in his afterword. The way it was described in the book immediately resonated with me. I proceeded to read further books featuring ace characters because I was not yet ready to start googling. Then I listened to a podcast and it became very clear to me that I am asexual. Now I am reading ACE by Angela Chen and exploring this forum. 

I am so excited to have learned about this and wish I had learned about asexuality sooner. I am 26 and have lived far too long feeling abnormal. I have been incredibly happy these last days to have discovered this community. I had never thought much about asexuality before and if I did I understood it as describing people that don't want to have sex. Because I have a sex drive or a libido (not sure about these terms yet), I would have never thought to apply asexuality to myself. But learning about not being sexually attracted to anyone was really life altering to me. Everything makes so much sense now! :D And I also haven't figured out yet whether I just internalized too much sexuality or whatnot from society or if I actually want to have sex with people. But I don't feel comfortable talking about my sex life with strangers yet anyway. If I do want to talk about sex can I tag my post or something? Or do I give trigger warnings? I don't want people having to read about sex if they don't want to. 

It feels weird to talk so much about myself. But I wanted to introduce myself a little because I can't wait to meet you all and talk to you.

I will try to reach my brother today and come out to him. He is the first, so wish me luck! I will probably soon research coming out to your parents on this forum...

Thanks to everyone in advance! I am happy to be here :)

Welcome!!!

I went through a very similar journey. I'm so glad you found the forum. Good luck with coming out! That is a brave thing to do.

Proof Bakery's chocolate espresso layer cake Recipe - Los Angeles Times

Welcome to AVEN and congratulations on your self-discovery :)

Good luck with your coming out 🍰

AVEN has different forums for different subjects, just make sure to put your topic in the correct one based on the subject, give the topic a describing name and you should be fine  :)

Here is a link to the Terms of Service (2.10 goes into the topics containing sexually explicit material): 

You need to push the arrow on the right side of the picture.

Thank you! I will look for the right forums when I am ready and read the Terms of Service for now. Always a good idea I am sure :)

57 minutes ago, elmas said:

I am 26 and have lived far too long feeling abnormal. I have been incredibly happy these last days to have discovered this community. I had never thought much about asexuality before and if I did I understood it as describing people that don't want to have sex. Because I have a sex drive or a libido (not sure about these terms yet), I would have never thought to apply asexuality to myself.

Welcome! 🍰

I was a similar age when I discovered AVEN and everything else you wrote here was exactly my experience too 😊

Thank you! It's so nice to discover that there are people like me out in the world! 

Iza The Friendly Goat

Hi and welcome! I hope you’ll like it here. I found this forum not so long ago myself, and I find it extremely helpful and cool, I hope you’ll too. Good luck with your brother!
Here’s your cake 🍰 

I’m 26 too! And new too the Ace community. It’s hard living life feeling abnormal like you said. I can empathize with you on that. I’ve always felt like a bit of a weirdo for being different but I’ve come to realize that it only adds to the beauty. Welcome and I wish you nothing but the best on your journey of self discovery! 🎂

Also...thanks for the book recommendation!! Feel free to leave any related podcast recs 😌

Thanks everyone! I am loving this tradition. I am so stupidly happy about getting all this cake :D I should stock up on cake pictures myself now ...

And the podcast I am listening to right now is "Sounds Fake But Okay". I recommend episode 149 where they are joined by the author Angela Chen. They also have an episode (87) that you can hand to people that you come out to which I will definitely use so all the explaining doesn't just fall on me.

Another podcast is A OK but I haven't checked it out yet. 

• 1 month later...
NickyTannock

@elmas A very belated welcome to AVEN! And Happy New Year!

@Lysn_to_me A very belated welcome to AVEN! And Happy New Year!

It's a tradition here to welcome new members by offering cake, and even though I'm so very late welcoming you, here's my favourite cake to post,
http://chocolateartcake.blogspot.com/
ZWughhv.jpg 

Archived