Gift for a Teacher

GingerRose

It may not seem like much of a gift but, teachers tend to pay for supplies out of their own pocket, to provide much needed materials for their students. The government will pay for books and such, desks and computers. They don't provide all of the construction paper, extra coloring utensils, obviously anything for them to begin fun projects that help the kids learn would be good. Just the little bit that I can share.

Depends on the teacher and the occasion.

If it's like an impersonal 'thank you for putting up with our children without murdering them' gift for a teacher you barely know, I'd say you can't go wrong with chocolates or a nice tea / coffee in a pretty box, like these japanese boxes you can keep afterwards (in my experience, teachers tend to caffeinate a lot to make it through the day ^^)

You can go for a nice coffee mug (some can be customized with drawings from children) or offer a gift voucher, less personal but more practical.

15 hours ago, Abigail Rose said:

pay for supplies out of their own pocket

Yep I'm a teacher, so I know this quite well. I teach elementary, but I am not sure what to get for my co-mentor teacher. I am thinking about a Barnes and Noble gift card.

• 8 months later...

This is way too late for the OP, but just in case this is helpful for someone else. And Christmas is coming soonish...

Depends on the teacher and how well you know them. I prefer to give them something that they will enjoy in their downtime away from work.

One of my son's teachers loved maths (was crazy about it!) so I found a cool book about the history of mathematics looking at how some of the theories were developed.

I make jewellery as a hobby - so I've made lots of  pretty earrings for teachers over the years. They are very quick and simple to make and you don't have to worry about sizing like bracelets or necklaces. And they don't have to be very expensive. Bead stores I go to can sell beads (even semi-precious) individually not just in bulk or by strand and you can usually get a pair of simple sterling silver earring hooks for a couple of bucks. I just keep some surgical steel hooks (even cheaper) on hand to swap out if the teacher turns out to be allergic to silver.

As a child, I gave a teacher I really liked a lovely pen. Combine that with a pretty/fancy journal. (I love stationery. I have a whole shelf of notebooks and journals ready to go and I often buy them on sale. I can pick one from my stash to give as a present).

I'm not one for giving perfumed products since I don't like or use them myself. (I use unscented deodorant and the mildest soap I can find). I think scents and things like that are very personal and unless you know what they use, it's unlikely you will get something they will use.

I always make sure to combine the present with a card made by my son. And my son always has final approval on any gifts I suggest. If possible, he helps me in the process (like which journal to get or picking which stones go in the earrings that he thinks will best suit the teacher. (He tends to have very definite opinions about things :) ) After all, he's the one giving the gift as far as I am concerned.

• 2 months later...

Please not mugs! One Christmas every gift I got was a mug!  I have so many of them.

My favorite gifts have been ones made by the students themselves.  I always treasure those the most.  But if you are not a parent of a student and you are giving the gift, for me I’d like something like a gift card.  Then I can choose what I’d like to do with it.  There have been times I’ve received gifts of things that I would not use or cannot eat, and then I feel so bad that it just goes to waste.  So gift cards along with a handwritten card would be best for me.

35 minutes ago, coolshades said:

Please not mugs! One Christmas every gift I got was a mug!  I have so many of them.

The comic strip, Frazz, had an arc a while back where one of the teachers had a big mug sale to sell off the mugs she acquired over her year's of teaching.

1 minute ago, daveb said:

The comic strip, Frazz, had an arc a while back where one of the teachers had a big mug sale to sell off the mugs she acquired over her year's of teaching.

See now, I’d never have the heart to do that.  I’m one of those people that keeps everything students give me (unless it has an expiration date of some sort).  This is true even if I don’t ever plan to use them. 😕

Archived