shape.com "What Does It Really Mean to Be Asexual?"

scarletlatitude

scarletlatitude

https://www.shape.com/lifestyle/sex-and-love/what-is-asexual

18 November 2020

@yazybee is in this one! 

Did you know Spongebob was an asexual character? It was never explicitly said in the show — and I doubt many children watching would have known what "asexual" meant anyway — but the creator clarified in 2005 that he considered Spongebob to be "almost asexual." That little sponge is far from the only one: As many more characters in recent films, TV shows, and books identify as asexual, the times are gone when asexuality hid behind the corner, afraid of not being like everyone else.

Whether you're here because you want to understand this term to be a better ally or whether you're here because your personal experience has led you to consider this as a label for yourself, it's important to understand all the nuanced aspects of asexuality.

Let's dive into asexuality with the help of the director of public training at The Trevor Project Chris Bright, certified sex therapist Joe Kort, and activist and creator of #ThisIsWhatAsexualityLooksLike Yasmin Benoit. Asexuality is real and valid. Here's what else you should know.

everywhere and nowhere

A poor article. Again a lot of emphasis on "asexuals can have sex!" - and this time bordering on "desire without attraction", which, in the opinion of most users, is not asexual - and not even a word about those who don't want to have sex at all. To me this is erasure of sex-averse people.

Plus, on top of that, very poor wording which confuses esthetic attraction with sexual attraction:

You can be celibate and still find the girl at the coffee shop attractive.

There's nothing inherently non-asexual about "finding people attractive"! Lots of aces find some people good-looking, some even find some people sexy - the difference is just that for us esthetic attraction, or even sexualised esthetic attraction, doesn't induce a desire for sexual contact.

Oberon Jasper

I've heard a few different things about spongebob:

In the original version that was supposed to be adult swim he was supposed to be gay and Patrick was his lover. Squidward was there homophobic neighbor.

I think the reason he is announced as asexual now is because it's a kids show on Nick so it distances him from being a sexual character.

Archived