In What Year Range Did You Identify As Ace?

will123

When Did You Identify As Asexual?  

150 members have voted

1. 1. When did you identify as asexual?

• 2020 - 2016
    • 2015 - 2011
    • 2010 - 2006
    • 2005 - 2001
    • 2000 - 1996
    • 1995 or earlier

This poll is closed to new votes

I found out about asexuality (and AVEN) and promptly identified as asexual in 2005.

I started identifying as asexual around 1999.

March of this year. I identified as demisexual for a while before realizing it didn't quite fit.

Ace was early this year, just before the end of the Before Times. Aro was 2018.

2007, when I was 17. Sort of  made it up on my own, then went looking for the term and found the early years of aven, though I didn't stick around at that time. It wasn't until much later that made an account.

17 minutes ago, Scottthespy said:

2007, when I was 17. Sort of  made it up on my own, then went looking for the term and found the early years of aven, though I didn't stick around at that time. It wasn't until much later that made an account.

Sounds like me. The article I saw mentioned AVEN. Yep that's me after surfing around the forum and away I went. I didn't actually sign up until 2017 when I Googled AVEN to see if it was still around (I'd seen a lot of other forums come and go over the years).

2014 aged 42 and having never been in a relationship 

Disclaimer I now identify as demi

6 hours ago, ZCE said:

This year. I know, how boring.

I'd like to remark though that the graph in the poll so far is insanely close to an exponential curve (2^n to be specific).

0 | 1 | 2 | 6 | 9 | 22
vs.
0.5 | 1 | 2 | 4 | 8 | 16

Curious if it stays this way after a while.

I noticed the same thing.

2020, actually still less than 3 months ago 😅  it does feel like a much longer time to me though 

I fully realized and embraced it in 2016. Heard about and had an inkling of it in around 2000.

4 minutes ago, anzu2snow said:

I fully realized and embraced it in 2016. Heard about and had an inkling of it in around 2000.

WOW!

When I read about it in 2005 it was earth shattering (in a good way!). I posted before that up to that point you were one of three things, straight, gay or bi. I wasn't the latter two, so obviously I was straight... 

I knew since I was young but didn't have a name for it till like 2010 I guess?

• 1 month later...
On 11/21/2020 at 2:19 AM, ZCE said:

This year. I know, how boring.

I'd like to remark though that the graph in the poll so far is insanely close to an exponential curve (2^n to be specific).

0 | 1 | 2 | 6 | 9 | 22
vs.
0.5 | 1 | 2 | 4 | 8 | 16

Curious if it stays this way after a while.

I wonder if this would indicate increased exposure of asexuality? 

Purple Red Panda

Only since this year........... I'm a late bloomer 😉

bertiewooster

I can’t recall personally—I think I was a teenager, so possibly 2006-2010.  I first heard about it when I was mid-teens on gaiaonline as I was friends with someone named ‘Asexual and I asked them what it meant.  It took me some self-reflection to be like “hey, wait a minute....”, though.

2013, the summer before I entered high school. I remember the exact moment I discovered it and identified with it immediately. It was a big moment.

Am I supposed to answer the question based on when I realised that I had no interest in sexual relationships (which would be in 2005), or when I learned that asexuality was an orientation (which would be in 2011)?

5 hours ago, JumpingJay said:

I remember the exact moment I discovered it and identified with it immediately. It was a big moment.

I'm maybe not quite as distinct on my memory of my 'awareness' but remember how happy I felt.

4 hours ago, `Silver said:

Am I supposed to answer the question based on when I realised that I had no interest in sexual relationships (which would be in 2005), or when I learned that asexuality was an orientation (which would be in 2011)?

Hmm, well it does sound like you realized you were 'asexual' in all but name in 2005.

• 2 weeks later...

2020.  Between the extra time on my hands and counseling sessions the light bulb was switched on.  My counselor is how I was directed to AVEN.

Archived