Who are the worst current presidents?

Curious_Ace

maybeimamazed

Bolsonaro's conspiracy theorist Trump-loving anti-science ass.

I mean, if we are including the people who call themselves presidents but are really just dictators, there are quite a few...

Take, for example, President Xi of China. He expanded censorship (as in cameras watching people's doors censorship), has concentration camps, and more flagrant human rights abuses.

Then you have a technically democratically elected president, Trump, who said that the concentration camps above were good, expanded the practice of locking children in cages, pushed racist and xenophobic agendas, and more. Could you say he's one of the worst? Certainly not. But on the other hand, many of the others are just dictators in disguise. So among those elected democratically, he is probably up there.

Iza The Friendly Goat

Well, I'm totally biased but president of Poland is a real dirtbag. He uses hate speech against lgbt+ community and imigrants to gain popularity (like he said  during his presidential election campaign this year: "LGBTpeople are not people, they are an ideology worst than Bolshevizm and a threat to traditional Polish family. They need to be stopped"). Now, he let the reproductive rights laws here to be changed forcing people to give birth, even if the fetus is toally damaged and has no chance for survival outside the womb (total abortion ban) 🤦‍♀️ 

I guess that there are worse people having more power somewhere, whose acting impacts bigger community, but I just needed to rant and I'm sure he would make at least top ten (he's too lame to even win this contest). Great topic btw, I will fllow it closely :D 

PorcupineOfDoom

Alexander Lukashenko in Belarus has to be among the worst, although calling him a president is disingenuous since he's pretty much a dictator. He 'won' re-election for the 6th time in August but it was widely thought to be rigged and hasn't been recognised by the EU, then protesters suffered extreme police brutality to try and make them conform. This has been going on for 100 days now, and just yesterday alone there were more than 1,000 arrests. That's before we get to repressing political opponents, denying the existence of Covid-19 and claiming that (and I quote) "German order evolved over the centuries and attained its peak under Hitler."

Recep Tayyip Erdogan in Turkey is also quite frightening, especially since he won powers to intervene in his country's legal system, directly appoint top public officials and powers to impose a state of emergency. He won those in a referendum with 51% of the vote having survived a coup against him the previous year, and since then more 50,000 people have been detained. I'd say it's never a good sign if there's a military coup to try and oust the president from office... I'm also extremely uneasy about how he is starting to get involved in the Armenia-Azerbaijan conflict given Turkey's history with Armenia.

Leaders like them make you realise how good some of us have it, even under completely incompetent leaders like Boris Johnson or Donald Trump.

Teodoro Obiang Nguema Mbasogo

Legal killings, kidnappings, and torture (not even trying to hide it like some other dictators presidents), leading a country on a rising continent to be one of the worst and most oppressed places on the planet, and somewhat credible claims of cannibalism. against him

I think that puts him up there :)

On 11/17/2020 at 5:22 PM, Neon Green Packing Peanut said:

So among those elected democratically, he is probably up there.

Trump isn't even close. 

He could be, but the system he finds himself in remove a lot of power from his hands. 

Example. The first signs of dictatorship that I saw from Trump.

IE unmarked vehicles with soldiers, abducting protestors, with zero exchange verbally nor identification. 

This is the norm in countries run by dictators. In China, unmarked vehicles with armed guards will move in on targets and kidnap you. 

Difference? You can do nothing in China as a civilian, as the laws will not protect you.

This now includes Hong Kong which once also had such protections.

A kidbapped individual can be tortured, threatened and sentenced to prison for life for BS charges to pressure a confession out of them or a tearful apology.

Trump doing half of that, would find himself in hot water as human rights violations are a serious issue. Especially so, if done on your own civilians which have more legal grounds to fire back.

A lot harder to for say, an illegal alien. 

Trump put kids in cages, but buckled under intense pressure to do something about it. 

Something a dictator elsewhere would not face as they would "eliminate" the pressure, one person at a time. 

Without the system Trump is in, he easily could have been high on the list. 

However, with it, he is nothing more than a hot headed and highly incompetent lame duck president that has just been stripped of his power.

On 11/21/2020 at 10:37 AM, Perspektiv said:

This is the norm in countries run by dictators. In China, unmarked vehicles with armed guards will move in on targets and kidnap you.

See, this is why I specified democratically. I'm sure Trump would love to be a dictator, he's said so enough times. However, he's not, and we just proved it. Most honestly elected officials will have some issue (they're politicians, it'd be scarier if they didn't), but I completely agree that most of them (including Trump) aren't as bad as dictators.

On 11/26/2020 at 11:01 PM, Neon Green Packing Peanut said:

See, this is why I specified democratically. I'm sure Trump would love to be a dictator, he's said so enough times. However, he's not, and we just proved it. Most honestly elected officials will have some issue (they're politicians, it'd be scarier if they didn't), but I completely agree that most of them (including Trump) aren't as bad as dictators.

Trump actually is a dictator; however, he doesn't understand that he doesn't live in a dictatorship.  He has done as much as he can to carry out dictatorial actions, and we've learned that we'd better put some law in place so that those actions won't be so easy the next time.  President-elect Biden is going to have a big job getting rid of some of what Trump did.  But what we just proved when we voted on November 3 is that we are still a democracy.  

Archived