what is your hobby

SarahWilliam

Also, online shopping to fill the aforementioned void of existential despair on the occasions it manages to take over. 🙃

Mostly following and getting outraged about the news and condition of society, largely about things that are completely out of my control or influence, and venting in online spaces where I don't internalize and obsess about it in daily life, until I can find an actionable outlet I can participate locally, in person (like last month when I was sneaking into apartment complexes to talk to residents about their conditions and rights, or the events with Palestinians in July, though unfortunately that has fallen out of public view).

Really, the most emotion I feel is for things like that. I feel alive from it, have some motivation and will to fight and move on, connection to other people, and I've made great friends this way.

Real Estate RICO

Collecting: sports jerseys, hats, fragrances, (formerly) wrestling DVDs

Collecting Books from my TBR list to my bookshelf (not even 1/4 of the way there yet either) & read them evenually

• 2 weeks later...

I don’t know if this counts as a hobby but I have recently started wild swimming, apparently the cold shock is supposed to be good for depression but we will see as we enter the winter months, although it has been quite cold already just the other day my hands got so cold I got electric shocks in my hands and up my arms. 
Also I like to read. Mostly fantasy and sci-fi. The more unrealistic the better. 

I make lace. Mostly tatting and bobbin lace. A lot of people think that all hand made lace is tatting, but that's one specific technique. Tatting is a knotted lace. The knots slide over a central thread, so tatting combines loops and chains to make the designs. Bobbin lace is a woven lace. Thread is wound onto bobbins (worked in pairs). A pattern of dots is placed on a firm pillow, and pins are placed on the dots. The thread is woven around the pins which are added as you work. 

Squirrel Combat

Drawing.

Purple Red Panda

Reading. I have several special interests that I collect book on including Nazi Germany and the history of witchcraft, the occult and demonology.

I also like to make my own jewellery.

Does drawing still count if I'm working towards doing it professionally?

Otherwise, mine are reading copious amounts of books both prose and graphic, knitting, crosswords, collecting zines and minicomics, walks in the woods, delving into illustration and comics history, researching all manner of arcane and obscure topics (we're talking JSTOR, museum archives, and century-old OCRed newspapers here, not just Wikipedia), being sad, and drinking way too much tea.

Almost all of the games I play are single-player strategy and worldbuilding type games; Cities Skylines and Stardew Valley and the like. I know virtually nothing about TV shows or anime or contemporary music. Stereotypical "nerdy" interests like cosplay or roleplaying never seemed to take proper hold in me, and I'm generally pretty alienated by fandom culture. So in many ways, my hobbies don't seem to mesh with other people my age, which I regret.

I write a wrestling fan fiction based on the events of my save in the game TEW2020. The community I am in call them diaries or dynasties. You book your show, you write it all up and people try to predict match results and other happenings. On my most recent show, I'm asking my readers whether a wrestler will be fired as the underboss for something he did on the last show. You give out prizes to people who win the contest, mostly the opportunity to affect the save by signing certain wrestlers or booking certain matches but it depends how creative you want to get with it. It's a lot of fun and having other people read it, engage with it and participate does feel really rewarding. 

I play and DM tabletop RPGs.  I also do traditional-media artwork and PC gaming, and I collect rocks and fossils.

My biggest hobbies right now are exploring the mysteries of the world through travel and online (mostly online as of late) and playing story-driven games. Some others that I wouldn't mind getting back into are playing keyboard and cooking (for fun, not because I have to). 

Writing stories that make no sense, but are kind of funny.

Listening to audiobook

Generally existing inside a fictional universe of my own making.

SorryNotSorry

Making things out of metal and wood, sewing, technical writing and illustration, making jewelry... electronics is a problem for me, because most of the time, I follow the instructions but the kits don't work.

I no longer consider model-building to be one of my hobbies, because there's no way to monetize it unless I was into building movie props or something.

But I know of two people whose hobby is to shit on others’ achievements.

My hobby is also my life long purpose, developing my own created universe.  I have been doing it 30 years (since I was 8), and it comprises thousands of spreadsheets with details on everything from economics and demographics, to maps, star system data, and starship specifications.  I work on it every day.

Baking! I love baking. In fact, I just finished baking mole cookies for mole day on saturday. 6.02x10^23! 

I also have a vex robot and an animatronic that I'm building with a group and a board game I'm creating individually.

12 hours ago, Sam M said:

it comprises thousands of spreadsheets with details on everything from economics and demographics, to maps, star system data, and starship specifications. 

Sounds rather thorough! That's great!

Video games - Destiny 2, BG3, Pathfinder WoTR, Dark Souls, Sekiro, etc

Fandoms - I’ve gone extreme for years with excessively learning SW EU lore.. been getting into Warhammer recently.

Drawing - I have fun drawing and used to do a fair amount of it, I want to get back into it as a hobby.

Cooking, consuming various forms of media, and games of any kind: video/board/card/role playing.

The media (reading/comics/anime/movies) side is the most inward facing.

Cooking is where I feel most creative and can safely express some more nurturing feelings (Love cooking for other people, but I have a really hard time cooking for just myself).

Games are kind of split - I definitely play some games on my own, but mostly I prefer to do it as a social thing. I have a tough time in most interpersonal interactions cause I don't really know what I should be doing at any given moment or how to react to like, a lull (aside from deep dread that I'm missing some kind of cue), so games are nice in that I have something to turn my attention to (in a socially acceptable manner) and we have something pre-built in to discuss or just joke about.

Picked up needle binding again. Trying to somewhen finish the thing and hoping it will be a pullover when done. 

bctkAqg.jpeg

Presumably what people did before knitting was invented. Takes a couple of times the wool a knitted piece would. 

Phantasmal Fingers

What is @timewar's curent hobby? Don't ask - you don't need to know... 

colleencrystal

I love to read, listen to music, watching true crime shows, i’m trying to get into meditation and yoga. I listen to podcasts and watch anime and read a manga. I’m a major history buff . 

I guess by now I should consider sewing one of my hobbies, since I’ve sewed a lot of stuff. In fact today I’m hoping to buy some faux fur trim to sew on a cardigan. I’m also teaching myself how to crochet.

Archived