How to create a society...

GingerRose

How to create a society from a blunt perspective (please add your own as well as debate or agree)

* Choose which lives are inferior

* Choose what causes a life to become worthless

*Choose who can be eaten and who can't

*Make rules

*Choose how to enforce the rules

*Choose what needs to be taught

*Put in place a system for education

Fraggle Underdark

I'd just copy The Federation from Star Trek, but without the prime directive.

Spoiler

4ma2by.jpg

30 minutes ago, GingerRose said:

Choose which lives are inferior

wtf?

Choose what causes a life to become worthless

People who "Choose which lives are inferior"

Choose who can be eaten and who can't

wtf?

31 minutes ago, GingerRose said:

Make rules

Uhhh, im bad at that...

33 minutes ago, GingerRose said:

Choose how to enforce the rules

Being shot into these when broken:

QvKyBb3LzY7gFPBxE8FFse.jpg

34 minutes ago, GingerRose said:

Choose what needs to be taught

Empathy

34 minutes ago, GingerRose said:

Put in place a system for education

Which suits a persons style of learning best.

10 minutes ago, Phoenix the II said:
45 minutes ago, GingerRose said:

Choose which lives are inferior

wtf?

Choose what causes a life to become worthless

People who "Choose which lives are inferior"

Choose who can be eaten and who can't

wtf?

This is accurate when we look at an average society (when including humans & animals)

Who is inferior? Animals. (minorities too)

Who do we eat? Animals

Some lives start with worth but when they commit a crime, sometimes are deemed worthless. Like a murderer being put on death row.

Oberon Jasper

I'm assuming this includes animals, so in the similar ways to how we use them now as pets and such.

Cold blooded murder, child rape/abuse, and similar crimes.

Animals and plants

*Make rules

I'll add this later.

encouraging people to be better and therefore they enforce them themselves.

Everything. All views, facts, and belief systems as the pupil chooses to learn.

I'll add this later.

2 hours ago, GingerRose said:

How to create a society from a blunt perspective (please add your own as well as debate or agree)

*Make rules

How to create a society:

1. Start from a position of love and compassion.

2. Accept that mistakes will be made and be as compassionate as possible towards yourself and others when this happens.

3. Do not destroy your habitat.

4. Live in harmony with all existence.

5. If in doubt, see 1.

3 hours ago, Iam9man said:

How to create a society:

1. Start from a position of love and compassion.

2. Accept that mistakes will be made and be as compassionate as possible towards yourself and others when this happens.

3. Do not destroy your habitat.

4. Live in harmony with all existence.

5. If in doubt, see 1.

#goals

4 hours ago, Kieran :) said:

Cold blooded murder,

How do you define cold blooded? Does death penalty exist in your society?

56 minutes ago, GingerRose said:

Although it wasn't directed at me I'd define "cold blooded murder" as someone who didn't have a motive, self defense, or did it because they enjoyed it (borderline psychopathic) and didn't feel any remorse. 

Oberon Jasper
2 hours ago, GingerRose said:

No feelings of remorse for their actions. As in the human life no longer has value to them. Hard to prove and not commonly used. Personally, I have always had few problems with the death penalty, so if the rest of my society is on board it probably would.

(Also, to specify, this is a realistic society, not my ideal one.)

Have an idea.

Advertise.

Wait for someone to show up. 

Done.

3 hours ago, Acerna said:

motive

Is enjoyment not a motive? Is legal punishment a motive?

7 hours ago, GingerRose said:

Is enjoyment not a motive? Is legal punishment a motive?

"Or did it because they enjoyed it" as I said later, that would be cold blooded because they were thinking of their own enjoyment instead of how it might affect the other person. If someone went out and shot a stranger in a middle of a city with no reason other than they wanted to, or they enjoyed it (e.g. Not for revenge of anything) and not doing it out of hatred, I'd call that cold blooded. If legal punishment is applied correctly then someone would only kill because they were threatened with harm on their own life.

The following thoughts are inspired by Plato's Republic. I reserve the right to change my opinion at any moment.

19 hours ago, GingerRose said:

The ones who live for profit. The wealthy would be the class with the least political power to compensate for their financial power.

Plenty of things are worth less than life, particularly human life.

If you can ask questions about it using who, it shouldn't be eaten.

*Make rules

The ones passing laws would be the ones, despite their education and military past, choose to live very humbly. They would be living in poverty but not below dignity.

The social class enforcing the rules would be the ones content with possessing only what they need, living inbetween the ruling and lower class.

Sadly, Plato living before Charlesmagne, there was no education system at the time as we know it. Besides saying that it would be something better than having a private tutor, I'm not sure how to answer them.

5 hours ago, Acerna said:

applied correctly

Still a subjective answer to think about.

4 hours ago, Howard said:

who, it shouldn't be eaten.

Yes, because animals are considered "what" thus inferior.

On 11/13/2020 at 1:22 PM, GingerRose said:

*Make rules

Since you're asking to be blunt:

-Whoever should be deemed as inferior, would be based on a survival of the fittest basis. I.E Which demographics socially that can't fend for themselves in general.

-I don't think a life could be deemed worthless. Worthlessness to me, is indicative of someone not even eligible for medical care or any of their rights to be respected. Deemed as a social burden? See above.

-I'm assuming you mean animals here. I would keep things the way they are, banning the hunting or eating of meats that are from endangered species.

-I would leave the government to make rules. In a democratic system, I can at least have a voice in.

-Law and order works for me, regarding to enforcement. Beyond that, you have the choice.

-So many things should be taught socially. I think common sense and courtesy, as well as entrepreneurial spirit should be taught young. Teach children the skills of time and money management, and you'll essentially allow them to feed themselves, no matter what.

-Not sure what the entire system would look like, but one thing I know for sure, is the way we teach speech should take a page from countries like Korea. I.E They learn speech phonetically. We learn through the alphabet. Creates a lag in learning, as letters aren't going to sound the same once placed in words.

One of the many reasons why education is so much more advanced than North America, in countries like that.

is the cost of caring for all who are wanted to be cared for by the society able to be paid by those who contribute to the society willingly and eagerly? and I don't mean in terms of currency, I mean in terms of actual cost. like one loaf of bread costs an egg, some wheat, fresh water, hands kneading dough, the heat of an oven.

On 11/22/2020 at 10:08 PM, gisiebob said:

is the cost of caring for all who are wanted to be cared for by the society able to be paid by those who contribute to the society willingly and eagerly?

Call me selfish, but I don't want to contribute more than I already do, so about 1/3 of my effort can go to society. I'm not sure if everyone gives up as much/as little would be enough to care for all who want to be cared for, particularly bearing in ming corruption and waste on the government's part.

6 minutes ago, Howard said:

Call me selfish, but I don't want to contribute more than I already do, so about 1/3 of my effort can go to society. I'm not sure if everyone gives up as much/as little would be enough to care for all who want to be cared for, particularly bearing in ming corruption and waste on the government's part.

yes, I agree I think getting paid for work is a horrible deterrent 

On 11/13/2020 at 1:22 PM, GingerRose said:

*Make rules

- Inferiority is a gained status granted to those convicted of the worst crimes, however, they can be redeemed.

- All lives are equally worthless.

- Assuming there are no cannibals: non-endangered animals, strict laws on eating non-domesticated animals. Some laws to prove better lives for domestic eatable animals.

- Government would make laws, and could change laws. Laws are not social mores, which are what the previous 3 recommendations would be.

- Enforcement is again a legal question: therefore one of government rather than social mores. 

- Everyone should be allowed to study everything. Practical and theoretical, abstract and concrete, everyone should be allowed to learn everything regardless of reason.

- Most education, beyond letters and numbers which seem the natural domain of parents, should be provide by a neutral party. A government would probably be best, although not ideal, for the position. Abolish private schools and homeschooling as they either allow students to become academically stunted, or grant them privileges exceeding the 'all lives are equally worthless' command.

21 hours ago, Alawyn-Aebt said:

All lives are equally worthless

And yet we have laws and bans protecting some lives over others.

I think its backwards, talking about means before discussing ends.

What is your final goal?  What do you want the world to be like in 1000, or 10,000 years?     Peaceful settlements of artists painting water lilys?   Galactic empire with planet-sized cities? Return to a natural state, but with the bad things removed?  Trans humans merged with our machines?

First decide where you want to go, then decide where to turn at the next corner.   

2 minutes ago, uhtred said:

I think its backwards, talking about means before discussing ends.

What is your final goal?  What do you want the world to be like in 1000, or 10,000 years?     Peaceful settlements of artists painting water lilys?   Galactic empire with planet-sized cities? Return to a natural state, but with the bad things removed?  Trans humans merged with our machines?

First decide where you want to go, then decide where to turn at the next corner.   

I don't think that is a useful way of thinking about things, because individuals should have the freedom to steer towards where they like to. where as where we are in the present and where we can go in the immediate future are things we can know, or at least grapple with understanding.

You might be interested in the concept of the Veil of Ignorance as proposed by John Rawls:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Original_position

At root, it's the idea that in order to craft a fair set of rules (he refers to this as a 'social construct' which you may have heard of before), the citizens of the society would need to decide on the rules before knowing their place in the society. This includes things like race, gender, sexuality, physical and mental ability, and so on.

Obviously we can't actually do this precisely in practice since we already know about ourselves, but the idea is to try and put yourself in that mindset when thinking about society should be like.

I will say Rawls does assume that you will  know your own species going in, so the animal rights undertones I'm picking up are probably not going to be applicable directly, as it would be difficult to determine a society that you'd want to be a part of if you were a microbe or a fly or something. Maybe it works? .... *does some quick searching* .... Actually, it looks like there ARE a number of people making a Rawlsian argument for animal rights, though I've not read their work and can't fairly represent it, so maybe take a look into that if you're interested!

That aside, when animal rights comes up, my mind always goes to Peter Singer, so if you're interested in a modern philosophical take on the way we balance human vs animal welfare, he's definitely worth looking into. I was very lucky to be able to hear him speak when he came to my college years ago, and while I do still eat meat, I find him very compelling and worth listening to. For me, what really caught me was his "Drowning Child" thought experiment:

https://www.philosophyexperiments.com/singer/

Archived