Israeli-Palestinian Conflict  

74 members have voted

1. 1. What is your stance?

• Pro-Israel
    • Pro-Palestine
    • Impartial
    • Need to learn more before I make a choice

1 minute ago, Purple Red Panda said:

I'm going to bail on this one before the rot sets in. I'm terms of my own personal opinion I support the existence of Israel but do not unconditionally support its actions. I also support the creation of a viable Palestinian state.  Both sides have done appalling things down the decades and all to often various other nations have stoked the conflict for their own ends. Although I suport a two state solution I'm as clueless as anyone else as to how this can peacefully and justly be brought about.

Mostly agree:  Here's the one thing I'd change.

I'm as clueless as anyone else as to how this can peacefully and justly be brought about

I feel like I have some clues:

• See to it that both Israeli and Palestinian educational curricula make people at least aware of United Nations conventions on the illegality of wars of conquest and the history that led to those decisions.
  • Stop settlement expansion, and indicate that any land not from the Israeli side of the 1949 Armistice line that ends up under Israeli control should be balanced by an amount of land of equivalent area and value traded to Palestine.  The continued Israeli defiance of United Nations rules against military expansion will, by itself, undermine Palestinian trust in or adherence to those same rules.
Galactic Turtle
2 minutes ago, eeza17 said:

That'd be a "kippa"/"yarmulke" (skullcap), amab wear them from age 3 onward, daily. They come in variations, as will anything in the world lol

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSbFYHScfF2FnCV5el4CCB

Hasidic Jews wear something called a shtreimal (shtrymal) on holidays and shabbat:

s-l300.jpg

The more you know! 

2 minutes ago, Galactic Turtle said:

The more you know! 

Yup! I'd be happy to educate you if you have more questions-but take it to pms please so we stop clogging up the thread, lol

1 hour ago, eeza17 said:

I mean, sorta? Palesinians weren't the only people living there-Jews and some Christians also had been living there.

Yeah I meant there were already people living in the area, I shouldn't have said 'Palestinians' specifically sorry!

Thanks for the answers!

1 hour ago, eeza17 said:

The correct term is "antisemitism," without the hyphen and capitalized S : )

ew

1 hour ago, Purple Red Panda said:

the idea of establishing a Jewish state in Palestine

I'm talking about how certain percentages lived in the land of different religions in peace for many years after the Ottoman empire fell. Then the British Empire took the land for their own promising it to the Zionists and then to other countries at the same time, causing havoc to whose land it was.

5 minutes ago, GingerRose said:

Then the British Empire took the land for their own promising it to the Zionists and then to other countries at the same time, causing havoc to whose land it was.

I wouldn't say it was the British indecision that caused havoc.  

As a reminder, to say "Britain decided to...." does not imply that the entire British Parliament unanimously agreed on the resolution.  As the Brexit debates indicated, British Parliament seldom agrees unanimously on anything, and I'm under the impression that this was not significantly less true 100 years ago than now. 

The decision wasn't ultimately a unilateral British decision.  The United Nations Special Committee on Palestine (UNSCOP) was made at the request of the British government to survey the situation and make a recommendation.  A majority recommended two independent states, one Jewish, one Arab.  A minority recommended that the two states share an overarching federal government.  An option on the table that no one recommended was that a single majority-Arab state be formed.

When the matter came before the United Nations general assembly, the majority opinion was adopted.  Any havoc resulting from disagreement with the clear, unambiguous decision (made after a committee surveyed the region and made an educated recommendation) cannot reasonably be blamed on England or the UN General Assembly.  Instead, I blame it on those who assert their entitlement to nationalist expansion without respecting and yielding to the global affairs experts who surveyed the situations and interviewed people firsthand.

ALoudPrincess
3 hours ago, GingerRose said:

Did you know there are Jewish Palestinians and Muslim Israelites?

This isn't a black and white issue.

Yes and very true. Which is why I created this forum in order for people to learn more about the subject.

3 hours ago, GingerRose said:

And one side is taking advantage of its power.

Can you be more specific on which side and why?

ALoudPrincess
2 hours ago, PanFicto. said:

What we were taught in school was that the Israelites were people displaced by WW2, and their promised land (in the Bible or something) was Palestine. Only thing is that Palestinians already lived there, and so they started killing each other over who truly owns the land. Is that correct or do I have it the wrong way around? It was like 2 decades ago so I could be misremembering. Our teacher showed us videos of protestors being run over by those big flattening trucks and made us promise we wouldn't tell our parents what he showed us :o

For the first part, some were displaced from the Holocaust, but there were also many Jews already in Palestine. In the Torah (Jewish people's bible), the land was promised to them from G-d. There is a long and complicated history with the Belfour declaration where if the Jewish people fight for the British in WWI, they would be able to have land in Palestine. (Just to be clear, Palestine was not the place Israel looks like today. It's where all the second class citizens were sent. The only significance of the land for the British was the port.) There were many conflicts after the war when the declaration wasn't fulfilled between the Jewish people and the Arab people (it wasn't fulfilled because the Arabs strongly opposed it after the declaration was approved by the League of Nations in 1922. As such, the British controlled the land until 1947). The British were fed up and wanted the place gone. So, they brought it up to the newly formed UN. They decided in a two-state solution and the Jewish leaders said yes but the Arab leaders said no (my teacher had a saying, they liked to roll double of nothing and they almost always end up with nothing). Then they decided to give the whole area to the Jews. This led to a whole bloody conflict that Israel calls the Milkhemet Ha'Atzma'ut, the War of Independence, and the Palestinians calls Al Nakba, the Catastrophe. (for more reference: https://www.history.com/topics/middle-east/history-of-israel )

With protestor video, do you remember what year it was? 

ALoudPrincess
3 hours ago, PanFicto. said:

He also showed us how to get onto some website that showed images and videos filmed by protestors and journalists that were too graphic to be shown on the regular news, ahem. Like what the soldiers were doing to women they caught and stuff 😧

I'm sorry. Do you mean Israeli or Palestinian soldiers? If it's Israeli, that's probably a lie as 1. they are the most moral army in the world and 2. Palestinian propaganda tends to distort or make up often times false atrocities that were committed (it happen in the War for Independence and funnily enough it scared the Palestinian Arabs and they ran instead of what the Palestinian leaders wanted which was to fight. There are true confessions on this.https://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/the-capture-of-deir-yassin

Alaska Native Manitou

The World Book Dictionary has anti-Semite; it doesn't list "antisemite" even as a variation so I don't know where you got that from.

I was friends with an Israeli-American who didn't like what that government was doing to Palestinians.  There are whole organizations against the oppression; the Israeli government calls them anti-Semitic even when they are Jewish.  https://jewishvoiceforpeace.org/

The resonance my people feel for the Palestinians goes both ways; some of them offered support against the Dakota Access PipeLine (DAPL):  OIP.XWgxSW8IXxDb3_sUKLLrnwHaHS?pid=Api&r

I don't take sides here, but I'm not surprised that it was us Brits who made a mess of things in the first place. We kind of lead the world there 

3 minutes ago, ALoudPrincess said:

2. Palestinian propaganda tends to distort or make up often times false atrocities that were committed

If my understanding is correct, that was especially true around the time period @PanFicto. was recalling (roughly 20 years ago).  A lot of lies about the Israeli military action in Jenin got busted by surveillance.  

Still, I wouldn't put it out of the range of possibility that violations would occur.  If the United States military could have the Abu Ghraib scandal in 2004, I would consider it feasible that the Israeli military, who has at least as much to fear from Palestinian extremists as the US Army had to fear from Iraqi extremists, may have committed similar crimes.

ALoudPrincess
2 hours ago, Purple Red Panda said:

Much as I'm hardly an apologist for my nation's creepy imperialist past, the idea of establishing a Jewish state in Palestine predates the Balfour Declaration and Jewish emigration to the Holy Land was already occuring before the mandate for Palestine was assigned to Britain. As is traditional the UK's actions were far from helpful in creating any hope of stability in the middle east but the UK did no create the issue, they simply made matters worse.

Just as an aside at one point the UK seriously considered creating a Jewish homeland in Uganda! History is very strange.

*edit* I believe the territory in question is now actually part of Kenya but was part of the UK's Uganda Protectorate shortly before the offer was made.

More or less. The Zionistic movement began with Theodore Herzl, an assimilated Jew (didn't really care or think otherwise about being a Jew until), and the Dreyfus Affair. A Jewish assimilated man in French society, Alfred Dreyfus, was framed for a crime he didn't commit because he was Jewish. Anti-Semitism was strong then and now and forever (sorry the world seems very bleak for me oftentimes) (Evidence later shows that Dreyfus was innocent and was purposely framed https://www.history.com/news/what-was-the-dreyfus-affair ). Because of this incident, Herzl realized that all Jews need a homeland where they can be safe and protected (Jewish people now only have one country and that's it). So he fought until his death in 1904 for Jews to have a homeland. https://www.history.com/topics/middle-east/zionism

https://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/the-uganda-proposal-1903 This is a little bit on the Uganda Proposal.

ALoudPrincess
2 hours ago, eeza17 said:

antisemitism

Really? I've always learnt it with the hyphen in my Jewish Day School.

ALoudPrincess

True, but most of those Jews who wanted a Jewish state were/are only ethnically Jewish, and not culturally/religious and any religious Jew worth their salt would want a Jewish state where the Jews always were.

The issue was that they wanted a place to be safe and if they couldn't get Palestine, they'd settle for Uganda as a temporary refuge. The Zionist movement eventually removed that idea. https://www.fozmuseum.com/explore-foz/a-jewish-homeland-in-africa/

ALoudPrincess
2 hours ago, Abigail Rose said:

I'm Pro-peace. Unlikely as it is, that is my stance. I'm not indifferent or impartial. I couldn't begin to form a genuine understanding of the environment without spending years in the region, which I would rather not do myself. I can't say much other than I have met people that are Israeli and Palestinian. They are all nice people that would rather just know peace. If one of the possible options was peaceful integration, I would vote for that.

The sad fact is one side is for a two-state solution and the other isn't. https://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/29/world/middleeast/israel-palestinians-two-state-solution.html

ALoudPrincess
3 hours ago, 2SpiritCherokeePrincess said:

native-american-indians-take-a-stand-for

This is a no. Please bring evidence and proof about Palestinian refugees from a trustworthy source if you want to contribute.

*edit I forgot the word source.*

ALoudPrincess
2 hours ago, AspieAlly613 said:

That's a rough approximation.  Everything you said about the history of the Israel-Palestine conflict is at least mostly true.  I'd like to fill in some of the gaps.

Timeline:

1850's:

This serves as a good "before" snapshot.  There is neither a country called "Israel" nor one called "Palestine" at this time.  That region is under the rule of the Ottoman empire. It is a Muslim empire, but not an Arab one.  The region is predominantly Muslim, with majority-Jewish areas in Jerusalem, Be'er Sheva, Safed, and a few other cities.

1880's:

Not much has changed.  Now, Jews from all over the world who feel uncomfortable (and threatened) under their local governments start moving en masse to the region of modern day Israel and Palestine, feeling that with some cities there being majority-Jewish, they will have no reason to fear.  

1918:

World War I ends, and the Ottoman Empire falls.  Great Britain is the new ruler of the region.  As World War I was considered "the war to end all wars" at the time, they try to divide the Ottoman Empire into smaller nations, ruled by indigenous groups.  The question about the geographic region of Palestine is this:  Is the Jewish population there large enough to be considered its own indigenous group? This question goes unanswered for nearly 30 years.

1920:

The Jerusalem riots occur.  When historians are asked to choose an incident that marks the beginning of violent confrontations between Jewish nationalists and Arab nationalists in the region, this is the most-widely-selected starting point.

1920-1947:

Over this time period, a large number of Jews start migrating to the region.  British authorities impose immigration quotas, but a significant amount of illegal immigration occurs nonetheless.  Meanwhile, Arab nationalists appoint the Arab High Council (or Arab Higher Committee, as some people translate the title) to govern, despite the continued British rule over the region.  The group is disbanded by British forces, then reconstituted some years later by the British as a prelude to the eventual government of an Arab state in at least part of the region.

1947:

The nearly 30-year-old question of whether the region has one or two indigenous races is finally brought before the United Nations.  Jewish nationalists present a case.  Arab nationalists choose not to.  It is believed that Arab nationalists intended to ignore the process, and just take over by military force.  The resolution brought before the United Nations is this:  That a Jewish state and an Arab state be formed, and that they not be part of a single unified federal government.  The resolution passes by an overwhelming Majority.  Most Muslim-majority countries vote "no", while most non-Muslim majority countries vote "yes".  To this day, many Muslim-majority countries do not recognize the legitimacy of Israel.  As for the Arab state, well, that leads to the next event.

1948-1949:

The Arab-Israeli war.  Before the two new states can be properly formed, the armies of Jordan, Egypt, Syria, Iraq, and Lebanon invade in an attempt to conquer as much land as they can for an Arab state, even attempting to conquer the entire region, possibly massacring any Jews there.  The war involves many war crimes.  Included are the Arab massacre of Jews at K'far Ezion, the Israeli "plan Dalet" which involved forcing Arabs out of their homes, and the Jordanian and Egyptian conquest of what was supposed to be an independent Arab state.  It is only after this was that the term "Israeli" came to refer to a nationality and that the term "Palestinian" came to refer specifically to Arabs in the region. At the end of the war, Israel controls a region slightly larger than the original plan, Jordan the West Bank of the Jordan river, and Egypt controls Gaza.

1967:

The Six-Day War.  After Egypt's blockade of the Suez Canal, more fighting occurs.  The Jordanian West Bank, Egyptian Gaza strip, and Syrian Golan heights are now under Israeli control, though Israel does not annex the areas.

1972:

Israel now begins a population transfer of its own population into the West Bank and Gaza, in violation of the Geneva Convention's ban on wars of conquest.  When you hear about "Israeli Settlements" this is what people are talking about.  

1987:

The intifada begins.  Arab civilians begin attacking Jewish civilians in a vain attempt at conquest.  The conflict is no longer one between Israeli armies and Arab armies, but between the Israeli army and a significant portion of the Palestinian Arab population writ large.  This makes peace talks and negotiations difficult, as there is no unified group whose leader can come to the table.  This has been the nature of the conflict ever since.

1988:

Jordan officially renounces its claim on the West Bank, which it hasn't controlled since 1967.  Six weeks later, the Palestinian declaration of independence is signed and ignored by almost everyone.

1993:

Israeli Prime Minister Yitchak Rabin and Palestinian Prime Minister Yasser Arafat sign the Olso accords.  This establishes some independent regions in Palestine, and others under Palestinian law, but Israeli police enforcement.

2005:

Israel withdraws its settlements and its military presence from Gaza.  Within a year, Gaza becomes a hotbed of the manufacture and launch of illegal Qassam rockets.  These rockets are not powerful, and cannot target any specific building, but those firing them don't need them to.  The goal:  cause as much death and destruction as you can, civilian and soldier alike.  Being Jewish and in Israel is, in their eyes, a crime punishable by death.

2008:

Israel launches Operation Cast Lead, the first of several military offensives aimed at curtailing the use of Qassam rockets.  It has little to no lasting success, and deals significant damage to the Palestinian civilian infrastructure.  However, it is hard to measure exactly how many of the casualties are true civilians, given the guerilla nature of the conflict.

You really know your history. I hope you don't mind, but I'm going to fill in a little bit of the gaps.

1917:

British Foreign Secretary Arthur James Balfour submitted a letter of intent supporting the establishment of a Jewish homeland in Palestine. The British government hoped that the formal declaration—known thereafter as the Balfour Declaration—would encourage support for the Allies in World War I.

1973:

Yom Kippur War- Hoping to catch the Israeli army off guard, Egypt and Syria launched air strikes against Israel on the Jews Holy Day of Yom Kippur. The fighting went on for two weeks, until the UN adopted a resolution to stop the war. Syria hoped to recapture the Golan Heights during this battle but was unsuccessful. In 1981, Israel annexed the Golan Heights, but Syria continued to claim it as territory.

1982:

Lebanon War- Israel invaded Lebanon and ejected the Palestine Liberation Organization (PLO). This group, which started in 1964 and declared all Arab citizens living in Palestine up to 1947 to be called “Palestinians,” focused on creating a Palestinian state within Israel.

1987: (Just a small edit with yours as this was the first Intifada. There was a second)
First Palestinian Intifada- Israeli occupation of Gaza and the West Bank led to a 1987 Palestinian uprising and hundreds of deaths. A peace process, known as the Oslo Peace Accords, ended the Intifada (a Arabic word meaning “shaking off”). After this, the Palestinian Authority formed and took over some territories in Israel. In 1997, the Israeli army withdrew from parts of the West Bank.

2000:
Second Palestinian Intifada- Palestinians launched suicide bombs and other attacks on Israelis. The resulting violence lasted for years, until a cease-fire was reached. Israel announced a plan to remove all troops and Jewish settlements from the Gaza strip by the end of 2005.

2006:
Second Lebanon War: Israel went to war with Hezbollah—a Shiite Islamic militant group in Lebanon. A UN-negotiated ceasefire ended the conflict a couple of months after it started.

Various times throughout the late 2000s and early 2010s:
Hamas Wars: Israel has been involved in repeated violence with Hamas, a Sunni Islamist militant group that assumed Palestinian power in 2006. Some of the more significant conflicts took place beginning in 2008, 2012 and 2014.

https://www.history.com/topics/middle-east/history-of-israel#section_3

A more filled timeline if you want to read up on it a little more https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-29123668

ALoudPrincess

**Me fearing going to bed because when I wake up there's no way this thread won't have turned toxic...

I'm trying my best to keep this as civil as possible. I know this is a tense and very volatile topic.

For the rest of you, please. This is for education only. If you want to learn, you are welcome. If you want to sprout hate, then leave. Thank you.

ALoudPrincess
2 hours ago, fragglesinthedark said:

When I visited Palestine the situation reminded me of Native American history as well.

How so?

You really know your history. I hope you don't mind, but I'm going to fill in a little bit of the gaps.

1917:

British Foreign Secretary Arthur James Balfour submitted a letter of intent supporting the establishment of a Jewish homeland in Palestine. The British government hoped that the formal declaration—known thereafter as the Balfour Declaration—would encourage support for the Allies in World War I.

1973:

Yom Kippur War- Hoping to catch the Israeli army off guard, Egypt and Syria launched air strikes against Israel on the Jews Holy Day of Yom Kippur. The fighting went on for two weeks, until the UN adopted a resolution to stop the war. Syria hoped to recapture the Golan Heights during this battle but was unsuccessful. In 1981, Israel annexed the Golan Heights, but Syria continued to claim it as territory.

1982:

Lebanon War- Israel invaded Lebanon and ejected the Palestine Liberation Organization (PLO). This group, which started in 1964 and declared all Arab citizens living in Palestine up to 1947 to be called “Palestinians,” focused on creating a Palestinian state within Israel.

1987: (Just a small edit with yours as this was the first Intifada. There was a second)
First Palestinian Intifada- Israeli occupation of Gaza and the West Bank led to a 1987 Palestinian uprising and hundreds of deaths. A peace process, known as the Oslo Peace Accords, ended the Intifada (a Arabic word meaning “shaking off”). After this, the Palestinian Authority formed and took over some territories in Israel. In 1997, the Israeli army withdrew from parts of the West Bank.

2000:
Second Palestinian Intifada- Palestinians launched suicide bombs and other attacks on Israelis. The resulting violence lasted for years, until a cease-fire was reached. Israel announced a plan to remove all troops and Jewish settlements from the Gaza strip by the end of 2005.

2006:
Second Lebanon War: Israel went to war with Hezbollah—a Shiite Islamic militant group in Lebanon. A UN-negotiated ceasefire ended the conflict a couple of months after it started.

Various times throughout the late 2000s and early 2010s:
Hamas Wars: Israel has been involved in repeated violence with Hamas, a Sunni Islamist militant group that assumed Palestinian power in 2006. Some of the more significant conflicts took place beginning in 2008, 2012 and 2014.

https://www.history.com/topics/middle-east/history-of-israel#section_3

A more filled timeline if you want to read up on it a little more https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-29123668

Yeah, I debated what to include/not to include.  

1 minute ago, ALoudPrincess said:

This is for education only. If you want to learn, you are welcome. If you want to sprout hate, then leave. Thank you.

Fortunately, it seems no one here is interested in causing trouble.

Alaska Native Manitou
2 minutes ago, ALoudPrincess said:

I'm trying my best to keep this as civil as possible. I know this is a tense and very volatile topic.

For the rest of you, please. This is for education only. If you want to learn, you are welcome. If you want to sprout hate, then leave. Thank you.

How am I spouting hate by showing sympathy for my fellow human beings?

1 minute ago, 2SpiritCherokeePrincess said:

How am I spouting hate by showing sympathy for my fellow human beings?

You're not sprouting hate.

Fraggle Underdark

How so?

A more industrialized and more populous group of foreign people claiming divine right came into an area where people were already living, forced the existing people onto the worst land of the country and treated them as second class citizens. 

I don't say any of that to be incendiary, that's just why the comparison comes to mind.

Alaska Native Manitou

Here's the issue I see with the First Nations comparison:

When people assess the moral issues surrounding the Israel-Palestine conflict, at the top of the list of issues is the Palestinian resort to violence against Israeli civilians.  There has thankfully been no significant wave of violence (at least, not even remotely recently) at the hands of First Nations people.  

Trying to say "Aside from that, the analogy works" feels somewhat like asking "Aside from that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the theater?"

Fraggle Underdark
33 minutes ago, AspieAlly613 said:

Here's the issue I see with the First Nations comparison:

When people assess the moral issues surrounding the Israel-Palestine conflict, at the top of the list of issues is the Palestinian resort to violence against Israeli civilians.  There has thankfully been no significant wave of violence (at least, not even remotely recently) at the hands of First Nations people.  

Trying to say "Aside from that, the analogy works" feels somewhat like asking "Aside from that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the theater?"

It's a myth and harmful stereotype that Native Americans were always violent to European settlers, of course, but they sometimes were. There was violence towards civilians by both settlers and Native Americans. (I don't know the history of Canadian First Peoples, just Americans.)

ETA: Ah I see you said "remotely recently" and that's true, though I don't see a reason to avoid comparing two things simply because they're separated in time.

ALoudPrincess
2 hours ago, Galactic Turtle said:

My two oldest friends are both Jewish so sometimes I hear them blowing off steam about how some American media outlet is reporting about the conflict. They're very displeased with networks like CNN who they say are being too sympathetic to Palestine and painting Israel in a bad light. Then again, my two friends also have absolutely nothing nice to say about Palestine either, their fervor about the issue growing after their respective brith-right(?) trips. I usually stay silent during these conversations as I really have only a vague idea of what's going on currently and know that whatever the issue is, it's been going on for centuries if not longer and the core of it is about religion so no matter what it's not going to make sense at the end of the day and lots of people are going to die. I'm not sure why the US has to be so involved though. The guy in charge of Israel right now honestly seems a bit... not great. I assume it's because we're allies with Israel, kinda really dropped the ball on helping the European Jewish population during WWII, and have a notable Jewish population ourselves who have also historically probably gotten lots of shit stateside. Then of course there's America's general long lasting interest in the region because of oil so it wouldn't be all that shocking if that played some part in it. Then again, I've also heard that the reasons I just cited can be viewed as anti-Semitic.

As a black person, I've never really noticed this aspect of American culture and aside from obvious WWII examples and am pretty clueless on that it means to be Jewish in America or anywhere. I think I've been to a church gathering or two where someone will say something rude or off-color about Judaism or Catholicism or Islam or random Protestant sects who strike them as suspicious (but Baptists being rude isn't exactly shocking). A couple years ago a Jewish person I was working with retold the story of how he was called some type of Jewish slur during a soccer game in school and broke the guy's nose. Then my friend cited how at the local boys school this one Jewish kid kept having pennies thrown at him... and that has something to do with Judaism? Then of course these neo-Nazi/KKK hybrid types. Meanwhile I'm just over here wondering how people can even tell someone is Jewish in the first place. I've had several people reference the obviousness of their Jewish-ness when it never occurs to me until someone references holiday traditions. I'm just kind of confused about where the hate comes from. 

I hope to answer this as best as I can. I am Jewish and I was taught about this conflict from a young age. 

CNN is not a good news source as it is too sympathetic to the Palestinian cause. Let me explain. Gaza fires a rocket, Gaza fires another rocket, Gaza fires a third rocket, Israel fires back. Then CNN says, "Oh no! Israel is attacking poor defenseless Gaza for no reason." That's the issue there.

Israel's Prime minister, Benjamin Netanyahu, has been accused of taking bribes if that's what you're talking about.

You are a black person, correct? Imagine called the n-word. It's not okay, right? That's what it's like if someone calls a Jew with a slur. The pennies are an old Jewish stereotype that Jews are greedy pigs. This is a non religious person's point of view on it that will help maybe, but after this now imagine what it's like for religious Jews who don't assimilate https://www.siegeljcc.org/blog/2018/05/01/community/the-real-continuing-ed/ .

The stereotypes comes from: "Jews are often seen as financially untrustworthy or “good with money,” whether that be for good or ill. Negative representations of Jewish people that emphasized greed and corruption have followed Jews throughout centuries of transcontinental migrations, making Jewish communities more vulnerable to violence. Historians argue that anti-Jewish stereotypes like this one are the result of structural anti-Semitism. In other words, they believe anti-Semitic laws and societies created conditions that pushed Jewish people into financial work and then punished them for it. The Catholic Church taught that money-lending was a sin and tax-collecting distasteful. Therefore, in the faith-based societies of the Middle Ages, only non-Christians were permitted to lend money or collect taxes. As a result of laws and restrictions that funneled Jews into work as money lenders and tax collectors, among other professions, Jewish communities gained financial expertise. Later laws that barred Jews from specific professions and land ownership kept Jewish people employed in work that was undesirable to the church and ruling elites, but nevertheless essential to Christian states." https://www.publicsource.org/history-anti-semitism-pittsburgh/ There is more information in this article if you want to read it.

Archived