Kono - A new asexual force in Rock Music

Fellow asexual people! Thank you for making me feel not so alone. I feel like society views relationships and intimacy as checkpoints of success of some sort, and that made me feel confused and frustrated until my mid twenties. I am an asexual hard rock musician from Santa Barbara, California! I love all the heavy music from the 1970's and what that kind of songwriting and performance brought to the rock world after.

I want to show my community and the music world that it is possible to be a flamboyant, electric, physical rock artist while also being asexual. I play all the instruments and sing all the of vocals on my debut album. I emulate all the great frontmen who may have conveyed sexuality, but in my own interpretation in 2020 without actually being into that kind of thing. My lyrics that hint at sensuality or romance are satirical, and often my way of processing real experiences I have had of needing to set personal boundaries.

I was nervous about making a post on this page about my music, but I am at a point in my life where my friends and family have validated me as a person and an artist, regardless of me being asexual. We don't have to inherit the problems of "statistically more common" people just because the world and the media may champion hedonistic goals of sex. If you are also an asexual rocker, I'd really appreciate a listen. Thank you.
  • Like 6
Fraggle Underdark

I checked it out on Spotify, I rather liked it! I don't make music but I listen to it a lot. I'm not a big fan of 70s rock, in general, but for whatever it's worth it reminded me of 90s alternative rock, some punk, other stuff. For example They Might Be Giants, Pixies, etc. I liked the balance and I liked how the lyrical delivery was earnest and not vapid.

• Like 1
Just now, fragglesinthedark said:

I checked it out on Spotify, I rather liked it! I don't make music but I listen to it a lot. I'm not a big fan of 70s rock, in general, but for whatever it's worth it reminded me of 90s alternative rock, some punk, other stuff. For example They Might Be Giants, Pixies, etc. I liked the balance and I liked how the lyrical delivery was earnest and not vapid.

Thanks! It's definitely for Rock fans so that means a lot that you still found things to like. I proud of it as my debut. I call it traditional hard rock with some doom/stoner metal influences.

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, Gentle Giant said:

I listened to a little bit on Spotify, sounds good! Will give more a listen when I have more time.

I love Gentle Giant and progressive rock!!! I saw King Crimson live last year in San Francisco. "Alucard" off the album that your picture is from is one of my favorite prog songs.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

We released a new video 2 days ago!! Check it out! I'm so grateful for all the support from this forum as an asexual rock singer

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

I struggle with daily anxiety and potential OCD spiraling - so the support I get on here and from people I don't even know on my artistry makes me feel more confident with myself! Thank you!

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...