If You Could Create Your Own Video Game, What Would it Be About?

LadyWallflower

OmegaTheMetamorphicDreamer

I have an idea for an open world single player game where every major location is randomly arranged on the map when you start a new play-through. The main objective would be to search for and collect as many abilities as you can scattered throughout the map to gain the power of a god, and challenge the final boss whenever you feel up to the task.

When you start a new game, a cutscene will play where two metaphysical beings named Paragon and Corruption are fighting each other high in the sky. The fight ends with Paragon being defeated, but not before dealing one last critical blow to Corruption. Upon defeat, Paragon breaks apart into several small particles, each one representing an aspect of Paragon's power, and begins falling to the world below. After the scene ends, you will be taken to a character customization screen. Once you finish customizing your character, a short scene will play where the particle containing Paragon's Will is falling to the ground in first person perspective before crashing through the roof of a house and lands on the player character, sleeping in their bed. The perspective switches to the player character as they open their eyes and look up at the small hole in the ceiling. And that is where the game starts.

The game plays in third person perspective and you start off completely powerless beyond your mundane human abilities. You can challenge Corruption from the very beginning just by sleeping in your bed, but unless you have at least some certain abilities you won't be able to hit Corruption at all.

There are other details I could mention, but I feel like I would just be rambling at this point.

LadyWallflower

@Omega the Shadow That is a very interesting idea! I think randomly changing the map around really adds to replayability! 

everywhere and nowhere

I've also thought about something...

As some may know, I'm a tigermaniac since the age of 2. There has been a series of educational games about tigers on the website of Minnesota Zoo:

now only available via Wayback Machine

See, Minnesota Zoo itself has abandoned these games. When they disappeared from their site after it was modernised (I can't remember the word specifically for websites, even in Polish), I wrote to them, asking them to bring the games back, and they didn't even respond.

The games are made through links (anyway, try it, it's fun. I like how the police is looking for the runaway tiger and they enter into their standard forms: "offence: tiger pawprint" :lol:). I thought about how it would be great if expanded and remade as a retro point and click game, perhaps with the plot moved to Poland, with the tiger found not near Rio Grande, but in Kampinos National Park, and even with an extra educational opportunity: the Polish society is, unfortunately, less diverse than the American... but everyone must be able to deal with diversity! So I would, on purpose, even a little disproportionally, add Ukrainian, Vietnamese, Indian immigrants as secondary characters, those who claim to have possibly seen the tiger. Let Polish people see that "Poland for Poles" doesn't exist. :twisted:

Anyway... I greatly appreciate retro adventure games, but I know next to nothing about programming and I'm poor at drawing. Fun fact: I can't even draw tigers, even if I know very well how they look like... I'm just bad at bringing something in front of my mind's eye - strictly speaking, I can imagine how something looks like, but I can't visualise at all. I can draw much better when having for example a photo as a model, but entirely from imagination - that's much harder.

More examples of things I can't draw: human profile, realistic tree.

everywhere and nowhere

Oh, by the way, another fun fact. I have even made fanart for two adventure games: "Foxtail" and "Watch Over Chtristmas" (full game coming soon, I will probably be a beta tester :)). And now the example of my technical primitivism: they were only done in Paint XP for Windows 7 and IrfanView. I just can't use other graphic programs... :lol:

My "Foxtail" fanart - daytime version of a scenery from chapter 3 (enlarged, I drew it in single-pixel size):

ZM9-UkuNF3U.jpg

Remade from this:

1010959-foxtail-windows-screenshot-chapt

My "Watch Over Christmas" fanart - inspired by the mushrooms in the woods (in even innocent games such as "Legend of Kyrandia 2: Hand of Fate" there are subtle drug innuendoes - in that particular game, if Zanthia eats a mushroom, the scenery colours change to red and then blue for a while) : [how I hate having to put the space here because the forum reads ") + :" as an emoji... :mad: I really hate being forced to use incorrect punctuation!]

Ekxqox2X0AYcc5S?format=jpg&name=large

You really don't want to know to what extent is this picture "handmade"... :P

For comparison: a mushroom poisoning scene from "Hand of Fate" ("a", not "the", because you can eat the mushroom in any screen from the first section of the game) :

hof-005.png

everywhere and nowhere
6 minutes ago, LadyWallflower said:

@Nowhere Girl Those two games seem lovely! I checked out their pages. 

"Foxtail" is already available as a game in progress and I greatly recommend it. A few more screenshots - I have already completed the game in Ukrainian, English and German and the screenshots are from the Ukrainian version.

935548-foxtail-windows-screenshot-game-t935566-foxtail-windows-screenshot-chapte935569-foxtail-windows-screenshot-chapte

935592-foxtail-windows-screenshot-chapte958754-foxtail-windows-screenshot-chapte958760-foxtail-windows-screenshot-chapte

1010958-foxtail-windows-screenshot-chapt1010962-foxtail-windows-screenshot-chapt1010963-foxtail-windows-screenshot-chapt

This may be my favourite game, if I had to choose just one.

LadyWallflower

@Nowhere Girl I will need to check it out! I'm really busy with school right now, but during the winter holiday I may be able to play it, if I am able to afford it. 

everywhere and nowhere
Just now, LadyWallflower said:

@Nowhere Girl I will need to check it out! I'm really busy with school right now, but during the winter holiday I may be able to play it, if I am able to afford it. 

The holiday season might be a good moment because there will surely be a discount. And the game isn't very expensive anyway. I guess the price will increase slightly after the full game is released. So far only 3/8 are available.

Blizzard Avis

I always wondered what it would be like if there was an exploration game with an extremely detailed world of my home city (or any city, but I often thought about my own because I am most familiar with my city). And when I say that, I mean all the building, shops, roads, everything. It could be an older or current version of the city too. Then make your character have to find things and do tasks only through tips from maps and strangers on the street.

That would probably take forever to make though.

everywhere and nowhere
1 hour ago, Blizzard Avis said:

I always wondered what it would be like if there was an exploration game with an extremely detailed world of my home city (or any city, but I often thought about my own because I am most familiar with my city). And when I say that, I mean all the building, shops, roads, everything. It could be an older or current version of the city too. Then make your character have to find things and do tasks only through tips from maps and strangers on the street.

That would probably take forever to make though.

I'd really like to see a non-3D exploration game. "A Short Hike" is close to that, I would describe its style as "pixel 3D":

1007374-a-short-hike-windows-screenshot-

1027744-a-short-hike-windows-screenshot-

1007387-a-short-hike-windows-screenshot-

1007386-a-short-hike-windows-screenshot-

Alaska Native Manitou

Blocking the Oregon Trail.  Illegal immigrants (pioneers) are coming in caravans (wagon trains) to take everything that's yours.  Do whatever it takes to stop these dangerous people:

• Misdirect them off the trail to dangerous places.
  • Build barriers.
  • Set up traps.
  • Prepare ambushes.
  • Offer to trade, then swindle them out of necessary supplies.  (Warning:  trading for blankets is not recommended.)
  • If they cross the screen in front of you, press the Space Bar to take them out with arrows.

The future of your tribe depends on your efforts.

Hello, it's still me. For some reason, I didn't think this thread would get so many replies.

Before my last message gets lost, and while I think about which ideas to mention next, I may as well show off this bunch of hypothetical fighting game character designs. They're in the form of little pixel art "dolls", because... uh, I'm not really sure. Hopefully you'll still get the gist of them. I mean, I've put this off long enough.

Spoiler

111020-fighterstemp.png

An African-American martial artist. Uses a mixed fighting style most similar to kickboxing.

A Japanese kunoichi. Primarily uses a pair of kunai and knows some ninja tricks, such as moving very quickly.

A Mexican luchadora with a cow motif. Fights with various wrestling and grappling techniques, including some aerial slams.

A Chinese Shaolin nun. Uses Chinese boxing with a focus on counterattacks. Also has some psychic powers, such as levitation.

A heavy-set Russian clown. Fights with sumo wrestling and has the ability to breathe fire.

A French secret agent. Specializes in kicks, leg throws, and assorted acrobatics.

An Egyptian catwoman. Uses a tricky fighting style that resembles bellydancing.

A Korean gynoid. Fights using various tools, including extending limbs, jet boosters, and her own detachable head.

Looks like there hasn't been a new post here in a few days. Because my mind often feels like a nonstop conveyor belt of ideas, and because I haven't quite been able to single out another recent one, I thought I'd copy-paste some from a few years ago that I'd written down... slightly awkward grammar and all.

"An arcade-style soccer/football game in the spirit of NBA Jam and Kunio-kun (which you probably know from Super Dodge Ball and River City Ransom). It was going to have a cartoony style, wanton fouls, and wacky special shots. In addition, each team was to have its own home field, with varying hazards and gimmicks. For instance, there was a mountain field where boulders would bounce across the field, a "power room" field with electric barriers and lightning strikes, and a winter-themed field with a slippery floor. (In hindsight, this sounds more like a recipe for a generic platformer, doesn't it?)"

(Note: In retrospect, this was probably more inspired by the Genesis game Tiny Toon Adventures: Acme All-Stars - which incidentally has both soccer and basketball - than either of the two aforementioned franchises.)

"A fantasy-themed platformer inspired by Mega Man. At the beginning, the player would choose either a knight with a sword or a magician who used various spells. The stages could be selected in any order, and defeated bosses gave different weapons to the knight and additional spells to the magician. For instance, a yeti-like boss would give the knight throwable ice daggers, while the magician would receive the ability to freeze enemies from the same boss."

"A fighting game with a group of historical characters. There was a caveboy who fought with a large bone and his pet pterodactyl (like Nakoruru from Samurai Shodown), a female pharaoh with magical powers, and a Lost in Space-esque robot with an electric claw, but most of the other characters were either underdeveloped or too boring to mention. The gimmick was that, in the single-player game, the player could take one of the characters they had defeated with them and call them in for a quick attack during a fight, Marvel vs. Capcom-style. How this would have worked in a genre where most games are designed for competitive play, I do not know."

There are many more floating around, both past and present, but I think three is a decent number. On a final note, I'll mention that one of these days, I'm going to joke to someone about how I used to think of game/story ideas with male protagonists... and even then, they weren't that common.

Twisted Tempest

I would have to think further into this honestly. I know for a base I love open world's. So there's a start. I'd want to put in a lot of action, which a thought out combat system. Maybe with a mix of ranged, Melee and hand to hand, which each have their own benefits and drawbacks to using. I would like to encourage the player into experimenting with different play styles to approach each task truly how they see fit.

I would like to take control away from the player as little as possible, so as little cutscenes and forced exposition as possible. I'm rather old fashioned in the sense that I feel that story should be present in a game, but the game itself should always be the main focus. A great game with a mediocre story is better to me than a mediocre game with a great story. So maybe a cutscene at the beginning and at the end of the game, but the rest in between is presented to you through playing. The more you explore the open world, and the more care you put into searching through the missions, the more you can piece together the story for yourself. This would be one of a few rewards for really diving in to the game. There would be other rewards of course.

But I need to plan more into this. This is just the bare bones basic idea at the moment. 

Alaska Native Manitou
On 11/13/2020 at 9:16 PM, Captain Jay said:

"A fighting game with a group of historical characters. There was a caveboy who fought with a large bone and his pet pterodactyl (like Nakoruru from Samurai Shodown), a female pharaoh with magical powers, and a Lost in Space-esque robot with an electric claw, but most of the other characters were either underdeveloped or too boring to mention. The gimmick was that, in the single-player game, the player could take one of the characters they had defeated with them and call them in for a quick attack during a fight, Marvel vs. Capcom-style. How this would have worked in a genre where most games are designed for competitive play, I do not know."

Makes me think of Time Killers & Eternal Champions.

On 11/22/2020 at 7:46 PM, 2SpiritCherokeePrincess said:

Makes me think of Time Killers & Eternal Champions.

Yeah, there were a good number of time-travel-themed fighters back then, weren't there? You had those two, World HeroesTimeslaughter (an "indie" MS-DOS game), and I might be forgetting a couple. Why this theme was so common is anyone's guess... I suppose people thought it was "cool" even back then.

In any event, is anyone else planning on keeping this thread rolling? I could go on all day about assorted thoughts and ideas, but first, I want to see if I should.

• 1 month later...
Maelstrom_17
On 11/8/2020 at 9:10 PM, 2SpiritCherokeePrincess said:

Blocking the Oregon Trail.  Illegal immigrants (pioneers) are coming in caravans (wagon trains) to take everything that's yours.  Do whatever it takes to stop these dangerous people:

• Misdirect them off the trail to dangerous places.
  • Build barriers.
  • Set up traps.
  • Prepare ambushes.
  • Offer to trade, then swindle them out of necessary supplies.  (Warning:  trading for blankets is not recommended.)
  • If they cross the screen in front of you, press the Space Bar to take them out with arrows.

The future of your tribe depends on your efforts.

Lol, is this like a new and improved version of the CD game "The Oregon Trail" but with more historical accuracy?

Alaska Native Manitou
2 hours ago, Maelstrom_17 said:

Lol, is this like a new and improved version of the CD game "The Oregon Trail" but with more historical accuracy?

Exactly.  That game haunted my childhood.  I went to a rural grade school in Oregon where we were encouraged to play that on the library computer.

It would be a new Star Wars Jedi knight academy game, with new graphics, updated mechanics, and lots more. It would be the perfect game imo

I would make a racing game for sure! 😎🚗💨

I love the chaotic nature of the items in the Mario Kart series, the wild character and car styles of Crash Team Racing, add some downhill racing courses...Something like that 💭

I'm just so tired of seeing "The Most Realistic Racing Game 20XX" 🙄 

I want to make a racing game as outrageous and chaotic as possible, with a wide variety of characters to choose from, and anything can happen 😎

I'd love to develop a very specific city-building game. You'd start with a procedurally generated city say, at the beginning of the Industrial revolution and play up until the modern ages. You'd of course be able to adjust initial attributes such as the style of the city grid (medieval, grid plan etc), geography (terrain elevation, hydrology, climate), starting population, and even the style of the city's vernacular architecture. There'd be an in-game building creator mode, not unlike the item customisation tool in the Sims 3, whenever you had to construct a new city hall for instance. You'd be able to determine everything from the shape and dimensions of the building to windows, facade materials, architectural details and whatnot. This would also allow you to create extensions to older buildings. You would have the typical god-mode control over new developments, but there'd also be an option to allow the game to randomly generate developments for you to approve. For instance, an industrialist might want to put up a factory and housing for workers, and you could approve it, request modifications or reject the plan. The player would also be able to control zoning and determine building heights and such for specific parcels of land. This would allow you to focus on, say, public transit while retaining control of the style of your city, if building suburbs doesn't tickle your fancy.

Public transportation would work in the same vein: you could allow private companies to build their own networks and later pester them into expanding their systems. Private systems could also be acquired and merged. Private companies would only have ridiculous names like Schlechtbahn or SnailRail. Available transportation options would include obscure systems such as atmospheric railways or gyroscopic monorails too. You'd be able to run trams and trains on the same tracks to an extent as well, i.e. there wouldn't be specific tram-only and train-only tracks. While there would be pre-built roads available, you'd also be able to assemble them from scratch lane by lane, add or remove sidewalks, and lay railways on top of roads as you wished for those sweeeet interurbans and street-running freight trains.

The god-mode level of control wouldn't mean that you could get away with anything, however: while you _could_ blow up your old city centre into smithereens and finally realise Plan Voisin, your citizens and heritage NGOs might not appreciate it as much. Basically, any actions would have appropriate consequences. There would also be an RPG-style trait system (e.g. Fallout), for instance a laissez-faire approach might result your city in gaining 'Brusselised' trait. You'd be able to appoint your own council of advisors and all that as well, why not pick only people who refuse to speak any other language than French for added challenge. This might reduce the efficiency of your city government though.

I've no knowledge of game developing so all this would probably be unfeasible to realise, but one can dream I suppose

Characters based on everyday people having to fight to the death with the tools of their trade. Like an accountant hitting the nurse with bankruptcy and the nurse explodes 

21 hours ago, elvesparsley said:

I've no knowledge of game developing so all this would probably be unfeasible to realise, but one can dream I suppose

Yeah, you'd end up hitting the limits of data entry, procedural generation, and just programmer ability to make customizable stuff work together long before you managed to create something with the complexity of what you're describing.  A shame, because it sounds like something I might find interesting to play.

8 hours ago, ElloryJaye said:

Yeah, you'd end up hitting the limits of data entry, procedural generation, and just programmer ability to make customizable stuff work together long before you managed to create something with the complexity of what you're describing.  A shame, because it sounds like something I might find interesting to play.

Oh well, I do actually think one could get close with Cities: Skylines by running certain mods and imagining that the rest was featured xd I wish my laptop wasn't such a potato though.

On 1/13/2021 at 9:10 AM, superblonde said:

Characters based on everyday people having to fight to the death with the tools of their trade. Like an accountant hitting the nurse with bankruptcy and the nurse explodes 

Lol, I would totally play this 😄

On 11/2/2020 at 7:25 PM, LadyWallflower said:

This is a topic I decided to create just for fun (maybe I should have put it in Just for Fun instead of Off-A?). 

If you could create your own video game, what type of video game would be it? What would the genre be? Or the plotline? Although this is my own thread, I am torn about what I would do!

1. I really like Child of Light, with the atmospheric fantasy and the turn-based combat. I think it would be great if there were more games like that. Maybe a game like that, which would also involve crafting elements and have a world you could explore? Sometimes game with similar stuff to this have sexualized characters. So please no sexualized characters.

2. I really like the battle systems in Final Fantasy 7 Remake and Final Fantasy XII: Zodiac Age. I would like to mesh those two styles of combat. So battle systems would work like 7, but the characters you are not controlling would be doing things according to the gambits you set up. I would like an atmospheric world with some color. I don't mean super bright, but a part of me is tired of all the dreary games. FFX and FFXIII had some really pretty areas.

3. I think it would be great to have a farming/crafting game that had more sophisticated combat and a larger world to explore. 

I will stop here for now! Or I can keep going, lol. 

Well I already have videogames, websites and board games designed just not the technical knolledge to have them made. 

I have built a math game 

Card games involving elements

I have made bored games 

I have designed websites 

I have also had an idea for a game where like you go through a crime scene and you can play any of the characters 

You play through as Victem, killer, and police 

As police its to find the killer, as victem its trying not to be murdered, and as killer clearly you just trying to murder and scout victems and not be cuaght by cops 

Also not sure where to public my games, comics, or shows..... 

Otherwise I likely would have published them already 

I have like 5 comics 

18 hours ago, Sherlocks said:

Well I already have videogames, websites and board games designed just not the technical knolledge to have them made. 

I have built a math game 

Card games involving elements

I have made bored games 

I have designed websites 

I have also had an idea for a game where like you go through a crime scene and you can play any of the characters 

You play through as Victem, killer, and police 

As police its to find the killer, as victem its trying not to be murdered, and as killer clearly you just trying to murder and scout victems and not be cuaght by cops 

Also not sure where to public my games, comics, or shows..... 

Otherwise I likely would have published them already 

I have like 5 comics 

With the board/card games, your next job is probably to mock up a physical set (without custom artwork or anything fancy that would require "technical knowledge"—just print placeholder cards with the necessary information on them in text on cardstock, steal counters from that old Monopoly set for the boardgames, draw boards on cardboard, etc.), then get some friends together and play them to see whether playing your game is actually fun or not.  Fun is this weird intangible quality that's difficult to plan for.  You might have to wait until after the worst of COVID blows over, depending on what the restrictions are like where you are.

Comics are easy to publish if you've got them already drawn and in a digital format (search on "webcomic hosting"—there are entire sites devoted to it).  If not, well, you're going to need to learn to draw if you ever want to get those off the ground.  If you have them in paper format and it's the digital part that's the problem, taking photos with a phone is the last-ditch method of accomplishing that.

For video games, you need to have one of two things to get them made:  some form of useful technical expertise (usually either art or programming), or lots of money.  Ideas are easy to come by, and anyone capable of making them a reality has plenty of their own.

The exact style and gameplay as Monster Hunter, but instead of doing damage your weapons just do friendship or something and you don't capture or kill the monsters, you just get to hug them when you win. 

On 1/19/2021 at 7:28 PM, Mogz said:

The exact style and gameplay as Monster Hunter, but instead of doing damage your weapons just do friendship or something and you don't capture or kill the monsters, you just get to hug them when you win. 

You might enjoy a spin-off game Monster Hunter Stories for the 3DS.

It's in the same universe as the rest of the main titles, with the same monsters armor and such, but as a rider instead of a hunter. So the gameplay focuses on finding monster eggs, hatching them, caring for the monsters, and you get to ride them! 

everywhere and nowhere

I have an idea which could indeed be actualised, but I'd need help for that because I'm quite poor at drawing - I lack all three: a steady hand, knowledge of graphic programs more sophisticated than "Paint XP for Windows 7" and visual imagination.

Recently - despite being double-left-handed - I've been playing pinball games a lot. I mean oldschool, 2D pinball games for DOS. They have really amazing graphics, here are a few examples:

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

(1-2 - "Epic Pinball"; 3-6 - "Pinball World", four of the basic tables - Hollywood, North Pole, New York and UK; 7-9 - "Pinball World", bonus tables unlocked on the basic large tables. I'm proud of having explored them, particularly the Las Vegas one because getting there is hard.)

My idea is creating such a 2D pinball game with the help of "Pinball Builder", with tables in styles taken from history of art: ancient Egyptian, ancient Greek, Aztec, medieval, Art Nouveau, hippie/psychedelic... if you have more ideas, great, because I'd like them to total eight.

Archived