If You Could Create Your Own Video Game, What Would it Be About?

LadyWallflower

27 minutes ago, Nowhere Girl said:

My idea is creating such a 2D pinball game with the help of "Pinball Builder", with tables in styles taken from history of art: ancient Egyptian, ancient Greek, Aztec, medieval, Art Nouveau, hippie/psychedelic... if you have more ideas, great, because I'd like them to total eight.

Start from the beginning:  cave art.

Other than that, China and the surrounding countries have a long and distinct art history of their own.  So does India.  And Arabia and the Middle East.  The Maya are probably more iconic than the Aztec.  More recently, art from the USSR and the nations it dominated was often stylistically distinct.  If you want Western art only, the Renaissance is conspicuously missing from your list.  You also skipped over Polynesia, Africa, pre-European-contact North America, and pre-contact Australia . . .  Granted, some of those places don't have a lot of surviving 2D artwork, but there's sculpture and the like from pretty much everywhere.

everywhere and nowhere
3 hours ago, ElloryJaye said:

the Renaissance is conspicuously missing from your list.

Renaissance was about going "ad fontes", so I thought I don't particularly need it when I already have the "fons" itself, or ancient Greek art, on my list. ;) I also find Renaissance art... maybe too calm for a pinball table.

But the other ideas are interesting, particularly India, Arabia, Russia... I remember that when I've been to Moscow (in 1990, so the happily deceased Soviet Union still existed then... to bad that Putin's Russia really is hardly better, or maybe even worse than the final years of Soviet Union), I was absolutely enchanted with St. Basil's Cathedral and greatly regretted that I only had a black and white camera at that time (Russian, by the way). Now I don't care about it, because these photos are so easy to find (similarly, I don't regret so muc anymore having never seen a full solar eclipse* since I have seen footage). Interestingly, St. Basil's Cathedral, along with other famous buildings and structures, is also featured in another game: "CD-Man", or a graphics-including ;) Pacman clone:

spacer.png

*I have seen a very advanced partial solar eclipse and was disappointed. Really, only a tiny bit of the sun remaining and it wasn't even the tiniest bit dark... :( Maybe it is so, but I didn't know it at that time and the media hyped it too much, they said that "zoo animals will think it's evening"... No way.

Archived