• Pantheist or Panentheist
    • Unitarian Universalist
    • Wiccan
    • Other Pagan
    • Other non-religious
    • Other religious
    • Multi religious
    • Unsure
  2. 2. Has your current religious identity (1st question) changed from what you were raised as (next question)?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. What were you raised as?

• Protestant
    • Roman Catholic
    • Mormon
    • Orthodox
    • Other Christian denomination
    • Jewish
    • Muslim
    • Buddhist
    • Hindu
    • Atheist
    • Agnostic
    • Nothing in Particular
    • Pantheist or Panentheist
    • Unitarian Universalist
    • wiccan
    • Other Pagan
    • Other non-religious
    • Other religious
    • Multi religious
    • Unsure

This poll is closed to new votes

My family is of a protestant background but religion wasn't really much of a thing in my household growing up, if we went to church it was usually just for Christmas and Easter and I think that was more due to the fact that we could see other family members. I would probably consider myself more into eastern philosophy and religion nowadays, I have a pretty pantheist outlook on god and I do believe in reincarnation to an extent.

I just haven't found what particularly fits yet  

I was raised as "nothing in particular", since my parents aren't really religious at all, although unfortunately I was baptized as a Protestant. I'm antitheist now.

I was raised Protestant (and am still one on paper), but have been an atheist for a few years now.

J. van Deijck

Raised Catholic, now I don't give a damn. I stay as far from religions as possible.

I moved from a primarily Catholic country to a primarily Catholic country, but religion wise I feel more free here where I live. Religion is not as big thing here as it is in my country of origin.

baptised Catholic, but I describe my identity simply as "Christian". I was raised atheist/agnostic/nothing in particular. 

Anarchist Kaos

I was raised Catholic but I never got baptised, I was never really convinced by the faith and TBH my hatred of authority started with religious authority, yeah yet another boring atheist here.

• 2 weeks later...

Born and raised Roman Catholic and Presbyterian cause Canadian missionaries came here and converted my ancestors and" saved these poor ignorant brown ppl" 🙄

Christian indians tend to think they are above Hindu Indians cause of the colonization mentality.

So growing up my identity as an Indian and my culture was demonized by my own Indian mother who was Hindu before. That never sat right with me.

The good thing about Trinidad is that everyone celebrates everyone's shit here and nobody cares. For Diwali you will see muslims and blacks buying and lighting diyas, for Eid the muslims give food to everyone not just their own, everyone celebrates Xmas and my catholic uncle was involved in both communities that in his funeral he had both Hindu and Catholic rites.

I consider myself spiritual in that I believe in the Christian god and the angels, but I also meditate and honor the Hindu gods because my ancestral line were hindus before conversion. Through honoring them I am honoring my heritage and the ones that came waaay before me.

I was raised Christian and still am, though tbh I don't think my religion now looks much like what I was raised in. I'm pretty progressive now, but the churches I was raised in were so conservative that even contemporary Christian music was too 'edgy' for some of them.

I was loosely raised as a Catholic, and became Agnostic in my early twenties, then later an Atheist. Now I would describe myself as an Apathiest.

fooledbysecrecy

nothing in particular. i was christened and taught about christianity (protestant??? im not even sure) at school but my family isn't really religious. as a teen i had a very strong atheist phase, now i don't even think about this stuff.

I’m Jewish. I was raised Jewish, too. My mom’s side goes back really far. In fact, I’m half Ashkenazi. (Ashkenazi is of German and eastern European Jewish ancestry.) Super concentrated. I was raised Reform, to be more specific. I would love to become more observant and maybe be Modern Orthodox. The problem is I can’t follow it at the moment with my health and where I live. It can be expensive, too. At least with Reform, you can do what you can and it’s more of a personalized ‘feel’. 

• 4 weeks later...

I was raised in an evangelical protestant household, but now I'm a religious syncretist. I primarily revere Hindu gods and Buddhas, so I would say Hinduism and Buddhism make up my primary practice, but I draw from various occult and esoteric practices and Daoism. 

Blue eyes white dragon
On 11/14/2020 at 7:29 PM, United Pizza 149 said:

I was raised Christian and still am, though tbh I don't think my religion now looks much like what I was raised in. I'm pretty progressive now, but the churches I was raised in were so conservative that even contemporary Christian music was too 'edgy' for some of them.

Vey similar to my experiences. I always question everything and look for the answers myself (will ask for help) but my church doesn't really approve of that and has become kinda cult-like. I still am a Christian, but not a very "christian" Christian. I'm just someone on life's journey that deeply loves Jesus, wants people to find the joy I found, and help others  

@Marinette Agreste Yeah I figure it's a bad sign when a church actively tries to avoid certain questions. I'm kind of like you right now, I try to study on my own as much as I can, and I want to help people as much as possible. Most of the people I know irl still have no idea where I am on any of this stuff, except family members and a few friends, so I feel a bit stuck right now. I know eventually they'll probably have to find out, but ughhhh...I don't want to deal with tons of questions and/or toxic positivity that will most likely come my way if/when that happens. Good luck on your journey as well! :) 

Blue eyes white dragon

@United Pizza 149 I understand how that is. Most people I am somewhat close to do understand where I'm coming from but my parents don't know the full extent of it, but thats because my mother takes things out of context 😅. Good luck to you as well! Feel free to message me for questions, need prayer, or just want to talk!

verily-forsooth-egads

Raised Unitarian Universalist, identify as atheist. Not sure where that leaves me on the second question, it's not exactly a contradiction.

• 11 months later...

@iff

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organisation, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to restart new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

iff, Census Forum Moderator

Archived