iff

Hippos and horses  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer

• Hippos
    • Horses

This poll is closed to new votes

The big Sunday question

Which do you prefer: river horses or land horses? 

I like horses but love hippos

It's hard to say because I love hippos but I've seen quite a few videos of them eating their babies and I've never seen a horse do that so I'm confused as to which I like more Y_Y

Land horses, 

Can I add a 3rd??! Pandas! 😁😁

Shouldn’t the title be Hippos or Horses? 🙃

And I can’t answer as it’s precisely 50/50 😎

Land hippos are much safer to pet

52 minutes ago, Iam9man said:

Shouldn’t the title be Hippos or Horses? 🙃

And I can’t answer as it’s precisely 50/50 😎

I had considered it but felt going with or would be that you would not be in spirit of liking both animals

15 minutes ago, moist crevice said:

Land hippos are much safer to pet

I don't know, As a child, I have been chased by a horse because I petted her foal. 

No hippos have ever chased me

29 minutes ago, Spaghetti Cat said:

What about seahorses?

Damn, forgot them. :(

But they would be a clear winner, if they had;)

I've never seen a river horse, but I've seen plenty of field hippos. There's so much strength bristling from every part of the animal that I can't help but admire them.

When I was a kid my paren's ordered a hippo-themed kid's magazine for me that was supposed to teach me about basic economics or something. Thanks to money hippos for that!

1 hour ago, the last wereiff said:

I don't know, As a child, I have been chased by a horse because I petted her foal. 

No hippos have ever chased me

But have you ever petted a baby hippo?? No? Then that's why they haven't chased you!!!😉

Anthracite_Impreza

As if this is even a question.

2c5d21add3024b50b28d33f778d59523.jpg

I've never tried hippo. Horse meat is quite tasty though.

2 hours ago, Vicki475 said:

But have you ever petted a baby hippo?? No? Then that's why they haven't chased you!!!😉

tenor.gif?itemid=16928931

Purple Red Panda

I would kill to have hair like this

38573c739374a2a261c7121d8db599b8.jpg

in norwegian, you say "hippo" as "fjordhest." literally, lakehorsae or seahorse

3 minutes ago, Bodhranbitch@bAce said:

in norwegian, you say "hippo" as "fjordhest." literally, lakehorsae or seahorse

cool

Hippopotamus literally means "river horse" - compare with things like hippodrome and Mesopotamia. :) 

4 minutes ago, Santokh said:

but horses are less likely to kill you

I don't know, are there statistics? Like, I know hippos are more deadly if you meet one hippo and one horse, but given how many more horses there are compared to hippos, it seems they have much more opportunity for the killing to happen...

49 minutes ago, Concinnity said:

I don't know, are there statistics? Like, I know hippos are more deadly if you meet one hippo and one horse, but given how many more horses there are compared to hippos, it seems they have much more opportunity for the killing to happen...

I was thinking in “per capita” terms.
I’m sure there are more deaths caused by horses overall, but that doesn’t mean horses are more dangerous. 

You could use the same argument for dogs and hyenas. Dogs cause more deaths, but that doesn’t mean hyenas are less dangerous.

But you are more likely to be killed by  horse than a hippo, was all I was saying 😉

Anarchist Kaos

Hippos totally would eat horses if they were on their way, that makes them cooler.

Did you know that once upon a time there was a plan to bring hippos over to the US to be raised in the Louisiana bayous for meat? (not making this up; it was for real)

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/2/2020 at 11:10 AM, Concinnity said:

but given how many more horses there are compared to hippos..

So you don't live in africa, then.

Horses are almost never going to intentionally kill you. Where as a hippo is out to kill. So I still go with hippos being more dangerous. In fact they're one of the most dangerous/deadly animals on the planet. After the mosquito. 

This isn't to say I don't like hippos. But compared to horses; definitely going with horses.

I thought I was starting a fun thought experiment a la playing devil's advocate, but maybe that didn't translate well over the internet. Sorry if I hit a sore point there, I wasn't trying to change your opinion... you love who and whatever you want to love (and it's clearly not hippos).

My friend who is a veterinarian was working in South Africa and was charged by a hippo. They are scary. She is okay, but literally had to run for her life.

Archived