Favorite holiday traditions and/or recipes

Calla_Lily

i love christmas! i also love hearing other people's holiday traditions....christmas, hanukkah or whatever holiday you celebrate.

when i was a kid, we always opened up one gift on christmas eve, a new pair of pj's to wear for christmas morning. no one was allowed to go into the living room to even look at the gifts santa brought, until everyone was awake. (which wasn't too long of a wait, just make lotsa NOISE! hehehe)

as an adult, there are certain goodies, cookies, candy, that i only make at christmas, which makes them tatse sooo much better!

i also buy a new christmas tree ornament every year.

after we've had a nice snowfall (this year it doesn't look very promising since it's 55 in ohio right now!)...i go with either friends or family and drive around town after dark, looking at the light displays people put up, then head back home for eggnog, hot chocolate, cookies, and some games.

my friends and i choose a charity each year and we all donate to it during the holidays and also whenever we can the following year.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS AVEN members!

My earliest memory is of jumoing up and down in my cot because I'd been left alone one Christmas morning (I was born in Feb, and was in a normal bed the next Christmas.

We went to bed Christmas Eve, and not a present or even a decoration in sight. Christmas morning, we opened the door and the smell of tangerines would hit us. That is still the smell of Christmas to me.

Christmas traditions.

As a boy, we always had a live tree from floor to ceiling. We lived in a home with 10 foot ceilings. Huge tree. About 2 weeks before Christmas, we would go out to the woods and chop it down, bring it home strapped to the roof of the station wagon. Then decorate the tree with old lights and ornaments we saved from year to year. We used bubble lights in all colors. Made the tree come alive. Then we waited and waited.

No early gifts. No gifts under the tree at all before Christmas day. We would wake on Christmas Morning to a lit up tree with lots of gifts under the tree. We would get 3 gifts apiece, but with 8 kids that looked like alot under the tree. One from Santa, One from Grandma and Grandpa and One from a Great Aunt. Our other grandma always sent a check and my mom used it to buy sugar, flour, lard, butter, cream, and everything else necessary to make homemade candies and cookies.

We never had alot, but it was plentiful to us. Mom would order that one gift from santa from a catalog and then pay for it the rest of the year. But for all of us kids, that WAS Christmas. Now that money isnt as much of a problem, and the grandkids get just about all they want, its just not got the same feeling as it did back then when you really prayed and hoped that you could get that one thing you wanted.

EGGNOG is the one thing today that makes Christmas for me. It's the only time of the year I drink it. My sister keeps the tradition of homemade goodies alive. I have a basket here beside me of homemade cookies and candies that she made.

Christmas in our family is still a Christmas Morning event. I do take my gifts and deliver them before Christmas, but with the stipulation they can't be opened before Christmas day. For me, Christmas is all about family. It always has been from the very begining

of my life and I still hold to that tradition of a family christmas.

Thanks Calla_Lily

Ever try Eggnog with Cherry brandy in it. Mmmmmmmmmmm Good.

Rum is ok, and whiskey I can't stand, but Cherry Brandy, makes it nice on the tongue. :lol:

We went to bed Christmas Eve, and not a present or even a decoration in sight. Christmas morning, we opened the door and the smell of tangerines would hit us. That is still the smell of Christmas to me.

Yes me too! Then later as I got older my mom would let me help after my little siblings went to bed. It was just as magical.

About five years ago, we started a tradition of 'no presents' and it has been WONDERFUL! Really!

Other than that, we don't have any long-time ones but for the past 25 years I would wake up at my place, laze around, take a long walk to my parents' house and find out just what we were doing that day. This year is different, I just came back from working overseas so I'm living in their house so I don't know what I'll do. Will probably take my long walk out of habit.

Boxing Day (Dec 26 for those who don't) is a bigger tradtion. When we were all kids (cousins), all of our families would get together so the kids would all play games and such. Now that we all have our own families, we don't see each other on Christmas day so Boxing day is "Cousin Day" when we all gather and play games and such.

Archived