New Moderator Needed: Philosophy, Politics, and Science: Nominations

Kelly

Join the team!

If you think you would be interested in being the new Philosophy, Politics, and Science Moderator, throw cookies, cakes, your hat, turnip, or whatever you have into the ring. Just be sure to make it clear that you wish to run.

Eligibility requirements include being a member for at least 6 months, and having at least 100 posts that are not in the Just for Fun or Welcome Lounge forums. You also cannot run with an active, current, warning. You may run for only one election at a time.

Also, see the following for election rules:

http://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/90514-rules-and-procedure-for-elections/

Voting will be by a vote of confidence. A bio is required to be PMed to me by voting time.

This is the timeline for this election:

Thursday, 29 October to Thursday, 5 November: Nominations.

Thursday, 5 November to Sunday, 8 November: Dedicated Q&A period.

Sunday, 8 November to Sunday, 15 November: Voting.

Could any past moderators of these forums comment on how busy they are with reports etc and how much time they typically spent modding them (excluding other admodly activities)? 😊

As the incumbent, please feel free to ask me any questions. 

So everyone knows, the only reason I'm dropping this forum is because my life has changed, so I cannot dedicate the time to cover it. I'd say typically it only takes a few minutes per day, but you do need to be on forum at least six days in a week, even if only for ten minutes. 

@Iam9man, just saw your post halfway through writing this. I'd say ten minutes a day, add another ten-fifteen minutes for other admod stuff. Making a report thread takes 5-10 minutes, less once you get used to them. 

OptimisticPessimist
8 minutes ago, Iam9man said:

Could any past moderators of these forums comment on how busy they are with reports etc and how much time they typically spent modding them (excluding other admodly activities)? 😊

Yep! Ir's ok to give a general idea of how busy things can be etc in the way Sky has mentioned. 

Thanks @Skycaptain, appreciated (and you just saved me the trip to check who the current mod was!).

Does this forum typically keep you busier or less busy than other forums with nudges, warnings, etc?

In your personal opinion/experience, would you say this one of those forums that lends itself to being moderated by someone who already spends a lot of time there and knows the regulars etc, or would someone who drops by less frequently likely be able to pick it up without too many issues?

Generally it's a fairly quiet forum, I think we went six months without any disciplinary action. However, being fair, the USA election has caused a few issues. The biggest breachers of ToS are no longer around. 

I would say that being hands on is best. Some threads you need never post in, but there are a few where throwing in your tuppenny ha'porth just shows that you are interested. 

Thanks @Skycaptain, I guessed the US election, and possibly even today’s political events in the UK, could have an effect!

One final question if I may: do you find you can do the role without logging in from a computer every day? So maybe some days just reading/tidying up from a mobile/tablet?

Yes, I find that everything bar a report I can do from mobile. Maybe the more tech-savvy can do those from mobile 

I’m in 😎

I’m throwing this chap into the ring (but I’ll need him back as he’s so cute 🐧🥰)

2yr9oue9syu41.jpg

Janus the Fox

Any Admod position can be checked with any device, regular checking can be done with ease.  From experience, due to some mobile limitations, some report formatting I'd advise via Desktop, like on iPhoneOS, there isn't a button visible for Quotes in Portrait View, but there is in Landscape View.  Dealing with large Copy/Paste text can be buggy at times, though faced with the same bugs trying to Declass on Mobile.  So a strategy can be to check on mobile in the morning or afternoon and handle a few other things on Table or Desktop in the evenings, if there is anything else to do.  Another Mod may pick up a report to format or edit a Thread so it's readable for discussion or fixing a draft of a Report.

An Admod does have access to Source Code View for Comments and Threads, the same way we did as Declass Team Members.  My DT Skills have come in handy with Mod formatting, with a project in mind for me is to clean up the Formatting in the AVEN ToS.

Reports and using the Report Forum is actually a rare occurrence really dependent on the forum and situation, I've only dealt with around 6 or so Reports between QaA/Musings/OpenMic in the 6 months as Mod.

I kind of want to run but I still have some things that put me of it.

I'm excited to see so many candidates! :D

tenor.gif?itemid=12887287

@Kimmie. I encourage you to run! I know you'd make a great mod! :)

lost female soul

I’m interested in following the topic content of this thread. Congratulations to the new moderator!

3 minutes ago, Kimmie. said:

@Leedle-Lee thanks but no thanks.

Fair. Only do it if you really want to!

10 hours ago, Leedle-Lee said:

Fair. Only do it if you really want to!

The reasons to why I don't want to run is something that I should probably don't talk about in to this thread.

But again thanks🙂

WrenIsNotMyRealName!!
2 hours ago, Kimmie. said:

The reasons to why I don't want to run is something that I should probably don't talk about in to this thread.

But again thanks🙂

Well now I'm interested.

On 10/29/2020 at 3:20 PM, Skycaptain said:

I think we went six months without any disciplinary action

Haha, this is funny to me cause I wasn't here for those 6 months so I fee like I just cause a lot of trouble.

lost female soul

Looks like a hard group to moderate.  Wish the new moderator the best.  Put a post on about patient autonomy.  I love biomedical ethics.

Janus the Fox

A reminder that this thread is for nominations only, not a reason to not run, as it's discouraging or puts off candidates.

8 hours ago, Janus DarkFox said:

A reminder that this thread is for nominations only, not a reason to not run, as it's discouraging or puts off candidates.

Okay sorry

Unleash the Echidnas
On 10/29/2020 at 2:39 PM, Iam9man said:

I’m in.

On 10/30/2020 at 7:22 AM, Moonman said:

I'm in.

I definitely can't commit to about half hour a day six days a week or the twice a day checking that's preferred (not always able to be that online and can have busy runs at work which leave little free time) but could provide some support as a co-mod if there's interest.

15 hours ago, Unleash the Echidnas said:

I definitely can't commit to about half hour a day six days a week or the twice a day checking that's preferred (not always able to be that online and can have busy runs at work which leave little free time) but could provide some support as a co-mod if there's interest.

My understanding is that the forums are divided into roughly equal parts so the workload will be similar for each mod. So quiet forums get bundled together and (very) busy forums get co-mods. I’m guessing this is considered a normal busy forum hence why it’s only got one moderator 😊

The half hour a day covers all mod stuff, not just reading through the forum. There's general staff stuff, maybe a report, tidying up duplicate posts, alerting to spammers etc. 

@Moonman, the timing is unfortunate, I'll agree, but by the same token it's something totally unexpected that has caused me to have to drop this forum. 

Archived