5 hours ago, SorryNotSorry said:

The idea of inexpensive mass emigration into outer space must surely give real estate VIPs nightmares.

I wouldn't think so, since it would be total science fiction. I don't see it happening any time soon (probably not within the lifetime of anyone currently alive, or at least not anyone alive who could worry about it).

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
CaptainMarvel

James Webb’s mirror is fully deployed!! All that’s left to do today is latching the starboard mirror in place. I’m so excited to see what JWST has in store for us

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
Unleash the Echidnas

Hunga Tonga Hunga Ha'apai's shockwaves imaged by time differencing in Himawari-8's 6.2 μm band. Full hemisphere animation is the next post in the thread.

• Like 1
harmonic turquoise
On 1/20/2022 at 8:33 AM, Unleash the Echidnas said:

Hunga Tonga Hunga Ha'apai's shockwaves imaged by time differencing in Himawari-8's 6.2 μm band. Full hemisphere animation is the next post in the thread.

My country, far away from here, was hit by the tsunami, and fishing boats were turned over and damaged. I am worried about the people in Tonga. When things like this happen, it makes me realize that we live on the same planet.

Unleash the Echidnas, I inadvertently misquoted you and made you feel uncomfortable. I am very sorry about that. I will be careful in the future.

Edited by harmonic turquoise
  • Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I was looking at this on BBC online a few minutes ago @Unleash the Echidnas and then I checked into AVEN.  I find this stuff very exciting. Ta for the mention as I might not have seen it for all you knew.

• Like 2
Unleash the Echidnas

Corrected identification of object about to hit the moon (March 4, 12:25 UTC)

Assuming no maneuvers, it would have been in a somewhat odd orbit around the earth before the lunar flyby. At its highest point, it would be near the moon's orbit; at its lowest (perigee), about a third of that distance. I'd have expected the perigee to be near the earth's surface. The perigee seemed quite high.

However, rocket hardware often does strange things in its early days in space, with leftover fuel leaking out and pushing it around. That causes changes in the orbit, so that when you try to figure out where the junk came from, you get a wrong (or at least altered) answer. Such things happen routinely, but in this case, it would have required an unusual (though possible) sort of leakage, occurring several days after the lunar flyby. And it would have had to be a pretty substantial amount of leakage. 

• Like 1
Unleash the Echidnas

A Himawari-8 to GOES-17 parallax analysis with shadow confirmation. The underlying remote sensing maths are entirely routine but it's somewhat unusual to have something of interest that's tall enough to measure its height from geosynchronous orbit.

Tonga Volcano Plume Reached the Mesosphere

Scientists at NASA’s Langley Research Center analyzed data from NOAA’s Geostationary Operational Environmental Satellite 17 (GOES-17) and the Japanese Aerospace Exploration Agency’s (JAXA) Himawari-8, which both operate in geostationary orbit and carry very similar imaging instruments. The team calculated that the plume from the January 15 volcanic eruption rose to 58 kilometers (36 miles) at its highest point. Gas, steam, and ash from the volcano reached the mesosphere, the third layer of the atmosphere.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
SorryNotSorry

When I think about migrating into space, I don’t think of conquest or planting a flag on someone else’s planet. Far from it. I think of getting off this ass-backwards planet and never having to deal with other humans again.

• 2 months later...

This is my favorite scene from Moon Knight, note that it contains spoilers so if you don't like spoilers don't watch it, but if you don't mind them then go ahead! ^_^

Unleash the Echidnas

Total lunar eclipse Sunday.

total-lunar-eclipse-may-15-16.jpg

CBC

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Unleash the Echidnas said:

Wouldn't it be cool to just one day be going about your life and just be sucked up by a black hole almost immediately? Now that would be a cool way to go. 8)

59 minutes ago, Unleash the Echidnas said:

Cool. makes sense when you thnk about it.  The CMB background covers the sky, but it was only 300,000 light years in radius when we are seeing it.  I've never thought about it before you posted this - cool.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Unleash the Echidnas said:

Mercury was behind a ridge where I was

I think that would be the case for me, too. 

And might all be obscured by clouds here the next couple of days or so. 

But if I remember I'll try to look for them when the conditions allow.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Nasa received four more RS-25 engines for Artemis 2's core stage. Looks like November 12th now   by the time they replace batteries on the FTS and other stuff and roll it back out for Artemis 1 i mean the  Cryogenic Demonstration Test went alright last time so hopefully we can see it launch and hopefully the leak doesn't show up next time. But  there's another launch on October 5th with Crew 5. Crew Arrived at KSC today (1/10/22)Fd2IgkoWYAAgwS1?format=jpg&name=4096x409 

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
WhereTheSkiesEnd

https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/liftoff-nasa-s-artemis-i-mega-rocket-launches-orion-to-moon

Finally happened 

• Like 2
On 11/17/2022 at 7:51 PM, WhereTheSkiesEnd said:

Took its time but finally got launched.

Next Event: In Distant Retrograde Orbit (DRO) - DRO Departure Burn (December 1st - 21:53UTC)

Orion also eclipsed Apollo 13's record for the farthest distance travelled away from earth by a spacecraft designed for humans.

https://twitter.com/JimFree/status/1595441181265203201?t=9PllFfzG-0Z3b4dkLYmWYA&s=19

"Overnight on Wednesday they unexpectedly lost Comms with Orion when reconfiguring a link between it and the DSN" Link was restored so that's good

(Credit to https://twitter.com/NASAGroundSys/status/1593330425388322816/photo/1 for photo) 

and then there was some issues during the launch count but after all the issues with sls on the dress down tests and previous launch attempts they finally did it, i mean they did need to send a team down to the pad to think a leak or something

There was also some damage to the pad after the launch for example the shock wave caused by SLS ripped off two of the doors for the lifts, there was damage to the pneumatic lines for the gaseous nitrogen and gaseous helium which service the sls tanks. That just shows how powerful SLS is

The SLS rocket and Orion spacecraft lift off from Launch Pad 39B at NASA's Kennedy Space Center. Photo credit: NASA/Sean Cannon

If you want to track Orion: https://www.nasa.gov/specials/trackartemis/

• Like 2