15 minutes ago, WhereTheSkiesEnd said:

Perseverance lands on Mars February 18th

So exciting!! I hope everything goes according to plan.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Some people theorize that another protoplanet, called Theia, has collided with Earth about 4.5 billion years ago. The remnants of this protoplanet has formed the Moon later on and some have accumulated (possibly) blobs of hot rocks under Africa and Pacific Ocean. More here: https://www.livescience.com/theia-may-be-in-mysterious-mantle-blobs.html?fbclid=IwAR2PvmsgnPup3lg8SUYl2mWOUqdzZNVOhUPhieVkRtDQvfhAKSsrM2JwMnc

Unleash the Echidnas

Also on the topic of impacts:

A large meteoritic event over Antarctica ca. 430 ka ago inferred from chondritic spherules from the Sør Rondane Mountains

Large airbursts, the most frequent hazardous impact events, are estimated to occur orders of magnitude more frequently than crater-forming impacts. However, finding traces of these events is impeded by the difficulty of identifying them in the recent geological record. Here, we describe condensation spherules found on top of Walnumfjellet in the Sør Rondane Mountains, Antarctica. Affinities with similar spherules found in EPICA Dome C and Dome Fuji ice cores suggest that these particles were produced during a single-asteroid impact ca. 430 thousand years (ka) ago. The lack of a confirmed crater on the Antarctic ice sheet and geochemical and ¹⁸O-poor oxygen isotope signatures allow us to hypothesize that the impact particles result from a touchdown event, in which a projectile vapor jet interacts with the Antarctic ice sheet. Numerical models support a touchdown scenario. This study has implications for the identification and inventory of large cosmic events on Earth.

• Like 1
SorryNotSorry
On 10/28/2020 at 2:37 PM, Karst said:

Exactly what it says on the tin- this thread is a place to post interesting news and facts about outer space!

Politicians here in the US probably think of outer space as a US territory which doesn’t know it’s a US territory.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, WhereTheSkiesEnd said:

Ingenuity took flight today

EeeeeeEEEEEeeeeEEEeee!!!

• Like 4

Okay, fun non-space-related fact: I just did an image search for "robot squee" to accentuate that last post with a reaction image, only to find that there is an actual robot named Squee, built in the early 1950s.

And it's pretty damn adorable.

SqueeLife-6.JPG

Anyway. Space helicopter good, I am excite. :D

• Like 5
WhereTheSkiesEnd
20 hours ago, SocialMorays said:

SqueeLife-6.JPG

That is the cutest robot and I want one. Also love that it looks like someone is interviewing Squee. 

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
Unleash the Echidnas

Voyager still breaking barriers decades after launch

The interstellar magnetic field has surprised researchers with both its strength and its direction, and the new data have even fed a controversy over the geometry and activity of the heliosphere—the Sun’s magnetic domain. Is the heliosphere the shape of a comet, as has long been assumed, or is it instead more spherical? And does it expand and contract when sunspots wax and wane, or is it more stable? The spacecraft have offered up some tantalizing clues.

• Like 3

Hi! I love this thread!! I'm in second year of university studying astronomy. I'm not an expert yet so I'll give the context I can :-) sorry for so many made up scientific words haha. On a side note english is not my first language so maybe my wording is weird.

OK SO this image was taken using spectroscopy (the study of electromagnetic radiation), and it's the spectrum of visible light of our sun. Those black lines are not an accident. When the sun emites light, certain waves cannot pass through the chemicals in the sun's atmosphere, so they stay "trapped" and we can't see them. This means that every line is attached to a chemical element, and depending on the colour you can know which element is. In other words, we know the chemical composition of the star and that is a LOT of information because from that we can know its age, mass, weight, distance, luminosity, temperature, relative motion, and much more!! all from a rainbow picture. The sun said gay rights

464111-espectro-sol-colores-perdidos-172

And a bonus chemistry fun fact: using this technique it's how hellium was discovered. That's right: hellium was found first in our sun and then on the earth. That is so cool wtf

Sorry for so much rambling haha. I want to specialize in stellar spectroscopy and I love telling people about this picture <3

• Like 6
2 hours ago, soychiara said:

I want to specialize in stellar spectroscopy and I love telling people about this picture

Excellent! It is cool stuff. :) 

(actually, I suppose it's hot stuff, coming from the sun :lol: )

• Like 2
2 hours ago, soychiara said:

The sun said gay rights

... and science can't be wrong! ☀️ 🏳️‍🌈

Seriously, that's incredibly cool, thank you so much for sharing!

• Like 1
Just now, michaeld said:

That's great @soychiara.

We have a science channel on the AVEN unofficial discord; it'd be great to share all this over there too if anyone wants to. (But don't stop here as well!)

That's so amazing! thank you so much!

• Like 1
WhereTheSkiesEnd

James Webb Space Telescope is on schedule to launch later this year. I have waiting for this for years! I don’t ask for a lot in my life, I just want my space telescopes😫

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2021/webb-s-golden-mirror-wings-open-one-last-time-on-earth

• Like 5
Unleash the Echidnas

See also Katie Mack's response in the comments.

• Like 5
  • 2 weeks later...

My poor little underachieving babe... I relate and love you Pluto... we can do this!

• Like 4
Just now, Zagadka said:

My poor little underachieving babe... I relate and love you Pluto... we can do this!

Yees! baby takes 248 Earth years to go one revolution around the sun!

Also fun fact: during 20 of those years Pluto is actually closer than Neptune! They won't crash each other though, Pluto's orbit is inclined. Here's a very nice animation I got from wikipedia:

Pluto_Orbit.gif

• Like 5
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
SorryNotSorry

The idea of inexpensive mass emigration into outer space must surely give real estate VIPs nightmares.