This is like waiting for the fireworks on the New Year's Eve 😅

I'm so excited!!!😆

WhereTheSkiesEnd

Crew-1 is in orbit

iss docking is targeted for 17 November 04:00 UTC

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
WhereTheSkiesEnd

This happened a couple of weeks ago, but I just found the video. It's kinda beautiful in a tragic sort of way.

• Like 2
46 minutes ago, Unleash the Echidnas said:

For the many of us who missed it, GOES got it.

This is so cool, thank you for sharing!

• Like 2

From the article: 

By monitoring the cosmos with a radio telescope array, an international team of scientists has detected radio bursts emanating from the constellation Boötes –  that could be the first radio emission collected from a planet beyond our solar system.

https://news.cornell.edu/stories/2020/12/cornell-postdoc-detects-possible-exoplanet-radio-emission

And the video: http://www.cornell.edu/video/postdoc-detects-possible-exoplanet-radio-emission

Blue eyes white dragon
4 hours ago, Georgi said:

Jupiter and Saturn conjunction it's really beautiful

It really was cool! 

• Like 1

Ok, I feel like I am overposting here 😅, but I've found this intriguing article that discusses the probability of extraterrestrial intelligence (ETI) in our galaxy. The article suggests (from my understanding) that intelligent life evolves, comes to a peak, then gradually disappears due to possible self-annihilation, and then reappears in different parts of the galaxy . So this would explain, in the opinion of the authors (or from what I understand), why we are kind of alone for now - there was the peak, then the other kind of ETI kind of self-destroyed themselves, and the new generation is quite young (in many/maybe all cases possibly too young to be observed). But all these are based on some probabilities of ETI to evolve in different parts of the galaxy and some other things I don't quite understand 😅, so it is more a theoretical approach... I think. First I've found about this here: https://nypost.com/2020/12/22/over-achieving-aliens-likely-annihilated-themselves-study/?utm_source=NYPFacebook&utm_medium=SocialFlow&sr_share=facebook&utm_campaign=SocialFlow&fbclid=IwAR0nVS8CCVYfT0rrmM4d0tmR3RpI8b572fpBlzlt3Ou3Js4rTY5K3u0caQk, but I feel like it sends a little bit in a different direction than the scientific article itself (https://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/2012/2012.07902.pdf).

And I wish you happy holidays :)

I don't know. With a sample size of one it's all pretty much science fiction at this time. I don't know how much you can really say, even with math and probabilities, based on what little we know so far. Still, it can be fun and interesting to speculate.

Happy holidays! :D 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Georgi said:

That's a nice idea, though presumably they can't be made entirely out of wood: to be functional they'd need to have electronic equipment in them of some sort. I guess the question is how small these components can be made...

18 minutes ago, michaeld said:

That's a nice idea, though presumably they can't be made entirely out of wood: to be functional they'd need to have electronic equipment in them of some sort. I guess the question is how small these components can be made...

Yep. And there is also the issue of wood and trees. But still, the idea is nice! 

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, Unleash the Echidnas said:

That's so cool! 😍

Unleash the Echidnas
1 hour ago, Sean_Bird said:

when was the last time you watched a moon rotate on its axis while orbiting the earth in real time?

It is awesome but, er, Kaguya's initial orbital period was 16 hours 42 minutes (100 km altitude). That's ~2.6% of the Moon's 27 Earth-day long day. Not sure if any of the footage is from the other orbits.

Quick math gives me a radius of 88,463 km for a seleneostationary (Moon-synchronous) orbit (86,726 km mean altitude) without the Earth so I think there's a bit of rounding in the calculations here. As discussed at that link, the Earth would prevent a stable seleneostationary orbit even without lunar mass concentrations.

• Like 1
Unleash the Echidnas
13 hours ago, Sean_Bird said:

sorry if my initial response came across as inappropriate. I got overexcited.

This isn't my thread roommate's houseplant but feeling enthusiastic sounds good to me!

Hopefully not being off by two orders of magnitude is also OK. 🙃

• Like 1