iff

Do you smoke?  

136 members have voted

1. 1. Do you smoke?

• Yes
    • Used to but have given them up
    • No, never

This poll is closed to new votes

I never smoked. both my parents have (my father still) and one of my brothers did.

My dad used to smoke when I was a child. He gave up with a lot of difficulty, thank God. It's worst in a car I think. Especially as a child there's nothing you can do and the passive smoking I find horrendous. I remember my mum washing off the walls at home and the water was brown from the tar and the other muck that comes off cigarette smoke. Yuk. Glad I never started.

I used to smoke tobacco (cigarillos, hookas, and vape pens, not cigarettes) but I don't anymore. Somehow I never got addicted to tobacco, I'd go through phases where I'd smoke it but then I'd stop with no problems. I still sometimes smoke weed (usually I use edibles instead of smoking though) and I have a few CBD vape pens that I use once in a while.

My parents and my sister also smoke weed. My mom used to smoke cigarettes but quit a few years ago. My sister also used to vape tobacco but I'm not sure if she does anymore.

Janus the Fox

Neve have but have plenty of extended family that do.  Some that smoke indoors to the point it’s visible as an indoor fog and a visible orange colour against white walls.  Never been able to stay long in such a house, a migraine within 30 minutes where fresher out door air subsides it.

Anthracite_Impreza

Nope, and thankfully no one I've ever lived with has either. It's harmful to literally everyone, but given I was (and still am) a runt who used to have bad asthma and regular chest infections, smoking probably would've finished me off.

Plus, how tf can anyone even afford them things?!

Used to but it was still quite seldom. It's been some years since now.

Purple Red Panda

I smoke about four or five cigs a week, the rest of the time I vape like a bastard.

I have tried smoking a cigarette here and there, but never picked it up as a habit. Same with smoking pot, it is just an occasional thing I might do. So I put no.

For some stupid reason I find smoking incredibly aesthetically pleasing. I would smoke all the time if there weren't the minor inconvenience that I have lungs and intend continuing having them. So that complicates things a bit :D I used to smoke, not much though. Now I probably have like 3 cigarettes a year? 

RoseGoesToYale

Smoked what? I've never smoked cigarettes/tobacco, but I've smoked other things... :ph34r:

One thing that fascinates me about cigarettes is that they're not universally consistently addictive. Some people develop terrible addictions to them like my previous roommate, who I'm guessing went through half a pack to a pack a day. Other people are addicted and still have trouble quitting, but smoke as little as once or twice a day. Then you've got people who can smoke a cigarette rarely, like in a social outing, and not smoke at all otherwise, or people who try smoking a few times but don't get addicted and have no desire to ever smoke again. I'm immensely curious as to how this happens, and if there could be a way to reliably predict the outcome of nicotine on an individual person before they started smoking.

LadyWallflower

I have never smoked anything. Kind of a boring answered.

My father smoked cigars into my early youth, I started smoking hookah in my late teens, cigarettes when I was 19, and then I quit cigarettes when I started art school a year later

for me hookah is a social thing, so I'll smoke some when it's safe to gather in large numbers, but for the most part I'm ok with not smoking

I also still enjoy the scent of tobacco quite a bit, so I'm ok with second hand smoking 😅

I used to smoke regularly, sometimes I smoke now, but usually only one or two in social settings, maybe with a whiskey or a beer when out with friends if they're smokers that is, but I can take it or leave it, it doesn't bother me, I never smoke in the house

I used to smoke on a daily basis but quit...I'd say about a year ago for good. These days I just have the occasional cig when I'm out drinking with friends, but that's about it for me. I unfortunately still crave them a lot when I walk past smokers 😪 although I have to admit it feels nice to not feel like I'm constantly coughing up my lungs. Especially when I go running or climb stairs.

I've smoked weed a couple of times at uni but didn't like it too much.

1 hour ago, Acing It said:

My dad used to smoke when I was a child. He gave up with a lot of difficulty, thank God. It's worst in a car I think. Especially as a child there's nothing you can do and the passive smoking I find horrendous. I remember my mum washing off the walls at home and the water was brown from the tar and the other muck that comes off cigarette smoke. Yuk. Glad I never started.

Oh boy, I know this sort of thing all too well. My mom used to smoke, having gave it up mainly because it got way too expensive. She wasn't the chain smoker though, that dubious distinction belonged to someone I prefer not to talk about. That nasty stuff floating around destroyed the cabinet colouring of my old Apple computers much faster than sunlight ever would, and that was before the Retrobright process was discovered. Much more recently I picked up a freebie 486 laptop from a smoker's house; being in there was nearly enough to gag me, and so was reading the manual later on. I need to get the manuals out of the carrying case and set them on edge to air them out, and get rid of the bag because it's in poor shape anyway. Fortunately the smell seems to leave furniture on its own in a couple of weeks once the furniture is out of such an environment.

"No thanks, I don't smoke. What kind of cigarette is that?"

"Joint".

"Joint? They don't make them very good".

^ From The Jerk (1979)

I use to smoke a ton of hookah back in the day but haven't over the last several years.

everywhere and nowhere

I have never even tried tobacco and I'm proud of it.

Nope, never smoked anything. I didn’t even know anyone who did until I moved to England. It still shocks me to see teenagers smoking cigarettes. In New Jersey where I grew up, it was considered a very old fashioned and very trashy addiction. My great-grandmother (born in 1919) smoked cigarettes before people understood they were horrific for your health but she quit long before I was born. I didn’t personally know anyone else in the US.

3 hours ago, LightningRose said:

One thing that fascinates me about cigarettes is that they're not universally consistently addictive.

that was my issue. i tried cigarettes and was able to smoke them 'for fun' just a few times a week. it didn't interest me too much, but then my roommate got a double pack of vapes pens and i was constantly huffing on that thing until it broke. the ecig got me addicted to nicotine so i had to switch to cigarettes and have been smoking an insane amount of those ever since.

3 hours ago, GingerRose said:

Candy cigarettes

When I was a senior in high school, my friend and I went shopping and were thrilled to find the candy cigarettes from our youth at a candy store. We walked around the outlets eating them the way we did as kids - sucking on them so they hung out a bit like a real cigarette and then chewing them once it got pointy. 

We passed some younger teenagers just as I sucked the stick in my mouth to chew. They clearly hadn’t seen candy cigarettes before and FREAKED. OUT.

”DUUUDE DID SHE JUST EAT THAT CIGARETTE?!”

Just now, moist crevice said:

We passed some younger teenagers just as I sucked the stick in my mouth to chew. They clearly hadn’t seen candy cigarettes before and FREAKED. OUT.

”DUUUDE DID SHE JUST EAT THAT CIGARETTE?!”

Why did this same exact story happen to me as well XD ?

I love to screw with people, exhaling air, then just biting into it lol!!!!

I have never smoked, but I do vape with nicotine-free liquid. It's a self-soothing habit I chose to take up to offset the amount of food and candy I consume. My vaping only happens in the car on the way to and from work, and generally only about 3/4 of the trips. If I'm not vaping, I'm drinking sugary drinks or eating candy. It was a conscious decision to offset some of my sugar intake at the potential expense of a bit of lung damage. No "bad habits" are going to be good for you, but I think harm reduction can be achieved. My experience is that I drink less alcohol and eat less junk food now that I vape occasionally.

I’ve never smoked. I actually have a hard time being around someone who’s smoking. My throat closes up, I start coughing, it hurts my nose, etc. Almost like I’m allergic to it. My parent only stopped smoking when my mom told her to while she was pregnant with me. Thank goodness she did. Apparently, my grandparents on my parent’s side smoked a lot. In fact, it might have actually been what killed them. That grandpa passed away 2 years before I was born, and that grandma passed away 2 years after. 

Alejandrogynous

I've never smoked (cigarettes) but I dated/lived with someone who did for years and I never want to smell another cigarette in my life. We were also starving college students at the time and the amount of times they used our food money to buy smokes was disgusting. I will never date another smoker.

I'm mostly fine with other things being smoked but I still can't handle the smell in my living space or too strongly on a person.

Archived