What do I do if I can’t buy a binder?

Rainbow Beanz

Rainbow Beanz

I want to be a boy (I am a girl right now) and I haven’t came out to anyone yet. How can I make / buy a binder without anyone knowing?

Hi. Welcome the site ;)

I guess it'd technically be possible to make one if you're good at crafts and sewing. Or you could try to get a little cash and order one online. If anyone finds out and asks you can just say it's a type of bra or something, I dunno, whatever feels right.
I've seen some for around 20$ on amazon. You have to know the right size for you though.

I'm not going to claim I know more about this than I actually do, but is it true binding can be unsafe? If that's the case I would look up different techniques and things to use and to take proper safety. 

Good luck, you got this.

AmusedSkeptic

Making your own binder or getting a cheap one somewhere random is not recommended because binding can be extremely dangerous for your health if the binder doesn't fit right. gc2b is a safe and well known company so I suggest getting something from there. Make sure to research safe methods for binding!

Is there a friend or trusted adult's house who could pay for it, then you pay them back in cash? And you could ship the binder to their house? That would probably be your best option.

Having resources for these things is difficult when you have to do it in secret. I hope this helps and good luck dude! You're doing awesome :)

Edit: When my binder arrived (by mail) the package wasn't obvious. I wouldn't have known it was my binder had I not known it was arriving that day.

So I assume you're living with your parents. In that case, I also assume it's not just you who'll see your laundry.

Binders aren't super obvious. When I got mine, even after I was out to my mom and told her I was going to bind, she was still like 'that new bra you got, looks so handy! Where'd you get it?'

I recommend just getting a binder and telling your parents it's a different type of bra. Companies that sell binders know not to put it in obvious packaging. 

Most parents won't jump to the conclusion that you're trans just because you got a slightly oddly shaped bra. It would be quite a leap.

I don't have any experience with it, but I've heard that Point of Pride has a program that provides free binders to those who need them. It does have a long waiting list but it wouldn't necessarily hurt to put your name in the running as you can cancel later. Just an option to consider.

Janus the Fox

Moved to Gender Discussion

Janus DarkFox

Questions about Asexuality, Asexual Musings and Rantings & Open Mic Moderator

Well, I haven't tried binding yet, though I really want a binder, but I've found that wearing sweaters over button ups is a really great way to hide your chest, I wore something a little like this not to long ago and had someone think I was actually a guy: 

Shawl_Collar_Sweater-M-Green-SH4177-LVC_

I have a considerably large chest, and sweaters seem to work best, but that's not the best choice if it's really hot outside. I haven't found any other alternatives that work quite as well. The sports bra method usually leaves straps sticking out of your shirt unless you wear something with a very high neckline, so I don't do that.

Another great way to hide your chest, and I do this all the time, is to layer your clothes properly. Dark shirts really help too. Something like this is perfect and won't be suspiciously masculine if you don't want to out yourself, since both guys and girls wear this sort of thing, but still be able to hide your chest while looking masc enough:

main-qimg-84c048b22e5b6d9bc7186cb0a04f94

I hope my mini guide helped. 

One suggestion for buying a binder: Christmas is coming, if a parcel comes in the post, you can just say it's a present you've bought for someone. 

Gc2b binders are really comfortable, better than bras, in my experience.

• 2 weeks later...

Other "loose top" options are windbreakers, slightly oversized flannels/dress shirts, and hoodies.

Archived