Dreams

elanlb

On 10/14/2020 at 5:25 AM, elanlb said:
  • How often do you remember your dreams? How many dreams do remember? (we can have 5+ each night!)
  • In what kind of detail do you remember dreams? This is about everything: the plot, setting, characters...
  • Are there any recurring themes in your dreams? (superpowers, surreal things, real life people, made up people, activities, etc etc)
  • Anything else. (can you lucid dream?)

1) I remember fragments of my dreams most mornings, but it isn't very often I'll remember the whole dream. And the way I often remember them is there being 2 or 3 seemingly disjoint events, but having the feeling that the dream was somehow one continuous plot that made sense at the time I was experiencing it.

2) Some events are so specific and vivid that it's impossible to forget the details, but the majority of my dreams are quite blurry.

3) I have a very frequent and recurring nightmare where I'm choking to death, and as I am waking I still believe that I am choking and even attempt to force myself to throw up. It doesn't take long for me to realise that it's the nightmare again and relax, but each and every time as I'm waking up I'm terrified. I think this is all because I had a throat endoscopy a few years ago, undertaken by a trainee nurse, which wasn't a pleasant experience in the slightest.

4) Of the dreams that are not unpleasant they tend to be quite surreal. Another nice, though less frequent, recurring theme I have is of skateboarding. Usually I'm skating in some unrealistic park with ridiculously big ramps, and I wake up with a feeling of fear and an adrenaline rush; these tend to be more lucid in nature because the ramps are just so unrealistic and as I'm waking I try to force myself to stay in the dream. I used to skate a lot when I was younger so this one makes sense as well.

I usually remember my dreams fairly well in the morning, but they fade over the course of the day.  I used to have a Google Doc where I journalled them, but I've got more important projects at the moment.

My dreams are in full colour, and I sometimes have distinct smell/taste impressions in them. 

I don't have true recurring dreams, exactly, but the scenario of "wandering around an unfamiliar town/city" keeps popping up.

Most of them are pretty surreal- a warehouse full of teenagers wearing elaborate cosplay makeup (who may or may not have been aliens) is the latest one that springs to mind.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/9/2021 at 12:17 PM, Elsin said:

3) I have a very frequent and recurring nightmare where I'm choking to death, and as I am waking I still believe that I am choking and even attempt to force myself to throw up. It doesn't take long for me to realise that it's the nightmare again and relax, but each and every time as I'm waking up I'm terrified. I think this is all because I had a throat endoscopy a few years ago, undertaken by a trainee nurse, which wasn't a pleasant experience in the slightest.

Oh wow this is very interesting. I've had some like that but I have no idea why. I think that's a common theme though in my life... having problems that should be caused by an event but not being able to discern the event. I think I forgot whatever happened for my own protection, but it's still frustrating not knowing.

On 1/9/2021 at 5:38 AM, SpaceDustbin said:

4. Lucid dreams have happened every now and then, and it's such a weird feeling, especially if it's more or a nightmare scenario you want to get out of, and while you know you're dreaming, you can't snap out of it.

Oh I am intrigued now. For some reason I thought it couldn't be a lucid dream because if I knew I was dreaming, then I would be able to make it not a nightmare. Now I think I actually have lucid dreamed without knowing it. I knew I was dreaming and I knew I had no control of it.

Archived