Dreams

elanlb

Hello citizens of AVEN! I am curious to know about your dreams.

A few questions of which you can answer any or none:

1. How often do you remember your dreams? How many dreams do remember? (we can have 5+ each night!)
  2. In what kind of detail do you remember dreams? This is about everything: the plot, setting, characters...
  3. Are there any recurring themes in your dreams? (superpowers, surreal things, real life people, made up people, activities, etc etc)
  4. Anything else. (can you lucid dream?)

Here are my very brief answers:

1. 3-4 times a week.
  2. I always remember some detail, but I have had some very vivid dreams recently. I remember some very specific details, like what mask I wore. I could draw right now exactly how the other person's lips looked in my dream last night, for example. (she should have been wearing a mask hmmm)
  3. Physical affection shows up in almost all my dreams. It's usually a hug or just leaning on someone's shoulder. I have had people push boundaries, but usually everything is ok. This theme is probably there because I miss my friend's hugs (but nothing else about her).
  4. I look forward to dreams because my dreams are usually better than real life.
27 minutes ago, elanlb said:

1. How often do you remember your dreams? How many dreams do remember? (we can have 5+ each night!)
  2. In what kind of detail do you remember dreams? This is about everything: the plot, setting, characters...
  3. Are there any recurring themes in your dreams? (superpowers, surreal things, real life people, made up people, activities, etc etc)
  4. Anything else.

1. Almost the whole time, rarely forget them. I remember almost all of them, some I dont really care about so I try to forget em.

2. almost the whole thing, depending on what I focus on in the dream would determine what I remember. Usually remember almost the whole thing.

3. Water, animals, some people. 

4. They exhaust me 

Ford_Prefect42

1. 4 to 5 dreams a week. But that is usually very short term. Like I will remember my dreams as soon as I wake up and all throughout the morning, but once I go back to bed I cannot remember the details of any my dreams (with a few exceptions).

2. Usually, when I do remember my dreams, I remember mostly everything. Characters, plot, location, the whole nine yards. However, I'm fairly certain that there are gaps in my memories, like plot points in the dream that are just skipped over completely.

3. Usually they involve magic or something supernatural happening, and then people that I recognize

4. I can lucid dream, sometimes. Just the other night I had a dream where a horror monster trapped me in another dream, and in that dream I was aware that it was a dream within a dream.

It's impossible to say for me. Usually I only remember the really extreme stuff.

Like some dudes were standing on the Misty Mountains (from The Hobbit) and peeing on me in my dream last night, and I was peeing too, but I don't think I was me? And then there was this white fungus growing over the whole world and it was putting all these little white spores everywhere, and this woman was chasing her kid along a cliff but the woman was turning inside out from the spores and inside she was a tree, and she was like screaming while she was running and the kid was trying to get away.

Sometimes I'll remember two or more events like that in one night, sometimes I won't remember anything more months. It's so annoying Y_Y (I wish I could remember all my dreams, whenever I try by like keeping a dream journal, my ability to remember them at all goes to 0.. like my brain is sabotaging me!)

Oh and I spontaneously lucid dream if I get murdered in my dream (I wake up in my dream after I die) BUT I can't control the environment and cant convince anyone else in the dream that it's a dream, so no one wants to hang out with me. It's soooooo lame.

everywhere and nowhere
4 hours ago, elanlb said:

How often do you remember your dreams? How many dreams do remember? (we can have 5+ each night!)

If we assume that a person indeed dreams every night, but not always remembers them, then:

1. I don't remember approximately 85% of my dreams at all.
  2. I vaguely remember approximately 10%.
  3. I remember only about 5% well.

I regret it, because inner life is very important to me. Introspection is a huge part of my life, I've been keeping a diary since the age of nine (30th anniversary in January next year), I don't consider myself a person with poor imagination, I can lose contact with the external world when reading... and yet in the area of dreams almost nothing.

I also consider myself a person with a poor visual imagination - I can think about how does something look like, but I can't "see it in my mind". I can't see anything with eyes closed without certain assistance ;), and even then - my trips are usually much more philosophical than visual. And yet I have never noticed any real difference between the way I see things in my dreams and in "real life", so it doesn't seem to me like there is always a strong correlation between aspects such as dreams and daytime imagination. In Poland there is a goodnight saying for children, literally "(I wish you) colourful dreams!" and I was always surprised to hear that some people supposedly dream in black and white - I consider myself to have poor visual imagination and yet I never do... I have even encountered a theory that an unexpected aspect had an influence here: technical history - that black and white dreams were supposedly common in time of black and white TV. I, by the way, don't watch TV at all...

Most of my dreams are banal, consist of some poorly related events. But I have had some meaningful ones. My interests certainly filter into nighttime imagination to some extent and produce a meaningful dream every now and then. For example, while I haven't had any opportunity for the last few years, visiting ski jumping hills is one of my passions - and yup, I have had at least 20 dreams about jumping hills. :) Then there's the fact that while I have experienced a psychedelic fascination since the age of twelve (at that time, obviously, without truly considering trying and with a lot of internalised narcophobia and therefore self-loathing), I have first taken a psychedelic when I was thirty years old - so, sure enough, in the meantime I have had several dreams about taking a psychedelic. And (as it turned out - but I didn't know it yet at that time) just some four months before my first trip, I have had my only dream which could be classified as an undisputable nightmare: I dreamed that I was killed in an accident and as I was falling down, I was thinking that "so it's over forever, I won't try a psychedelic, this is the end of all hopes".

Aquatic Paradox
4 hours ago, elanlb said:

1. I don’t remember my dreams that well, but they do sometimes have multiple dreams.

2. It depends.

3. I never have recurring dreams/themes.

4. I can’t lucid dream, I’m just an observer.

1. Sometimes I can go weeks or months without remembering any, othertimes I remember them every night 

2. Sometimes not much, other times I can remember them years later

3. When I was a child I had lots where I was running but strands of some material like elastic were holding me back, everytime one broke, another one formed. (Yep I can still remember and visualise dreams from 40 years ago. 

Nowadays the best ones are like action movies, in colour. Sometimes I can dream sound, but not always 

4. Definitely 

Oberon Jasper

Once a month or so. Not very often.

Pretty good detail at first with it fading as it get later in the day.

Having a partner and death.

Not really... Most of the people aren't people I know... I guess?

How often do you remember your dreams? How many dreams do remember? (we can have 5+ each night!) At least a little bit all the time, unless I'm very tired. Typically about three a night, I'd say.

In what kind of detail do you remember dreams? This is about everything: the plot, setting, characters... Initially after I wake up quite vividly, like a (often silent) movie playing back, and then more like an ordinary memory throughout the day - which is much the same but missing pieces.

Are there any recurring themes in your dreams? (superpowers, surreal things, real life people, made up people, activities, etc etc) They're often just interesting things, including fantasy or sci-fi based stuff. The nightmares are more recurring; these tend to involve being chased by wolves, driving a poorly handling car through a flooded landscape full of dead trees, or involving hospitals/doctors/dentists/other medical stuff or something bad happening to my cats. The nightmares also have a much higher rate of being remotely realistic than the other dreams, and actually being about me rather than someone else. Oh, and then of course there are the dreams where I somehow end up going out on stage (usually because I was the assistant director and very suddenly have to fill in for a cast member) without carrying my script or knowing my lines, which are I guess the homeschooled-theater-kid version of the dreams people have about surprise tests and what.

Anything else. (can you lucid dream?) Nah, that's about it. It's pretty rare for my dreams to feature any real people aside from occasionally family members, and they're almost always in first-person (but not always as me). The visuals tend to be very clear, sounds are more rare, and I can't recall ever having a dream that featured scent or taste. Touch is usually only for bad things.

19 hours ago, elanlb said:
  • How often do you remember your dreams? How many dreams do remember? (we can have 5+ each night!)
  • In what kind of detail do you remember dreams? This is about everything: the plot, setting, characters...
  • Are there any recurring themes in your dreams? (superpowers, surreal things, real life people, made up people, activities, etc etc)
  • Anything else. (can you lucid dream?)

1. Every day. 1-2 per night.

2. Very detailed. I also write them down sometimes when I wake up, just for fun.

3.Flying,  romance, forgetting to wear pants to school, as well as having to wee and not being able to find a toilet...lol

4. I have a few time, where I burst into tears and wake up, but not often.

MonsterTurtle

1. I remember my dream every other day - but always just one, though that one dream always seems to be really long.

2. At first very detailed but unless i write them down when I am only half awake the details get lost when I wake up completely

3. My dreams are always fucking weird XD They always have a storyline though that would be suitable for a book or a movie.
Most are far too dramatic or disturbing, often including fantasy or mystery elements.

4. I lucid dream sometimes. And other times i don't really realize when I wake up if the dream seemed too realistic XD
A really confusing feeling

14 hours ago, GingerRose said:

Flying,  romance, forgetting to wear pants to school, as well as having to wee and not being able to find a toilet...lol

I used to have flying ones a lot too. And forgetting pants is always the worst. The weirdest thing for me was how nobody ever said anything, like if I was invisible. 

5 minutes ago, MonsterTurtle said:

At first very detailed but unless i write them down when I am only half awake the details get lost when I wake up completely

Sometimes I'm half awake and think I'm still dreaming. Then when I wake up fully I already forgot everything.

1 hour ago, elanlb said:

nobody ever said anything

Aw darn. I would have people staring  and say "Aren't you forgetting something?" :P

1. I'd say I remember dreaming most nights. As for how many dreams, it depends.
2. I often remember bits of the plotline and characters involved, but specific details tend to fade once I wake up. Vague snapshots of the setting tend to stick in my mind the most and bring back the memory of the dream.
3. My dreams tend to revolve around mundane life. I dream a lot about reading imaginary books or going to the library and picking them out. I've also had a lot of dreams about being back in high school and having an assignment due soon.
4. I don't think I can lucid dream, though I think I've sometimes realized I was dreaming while in a dream.

Phantasmal Fingers
2 minutes ago, TheAP said:

I think I've sometimes realized I was dreaming while in a dream.

If you did then you're lucid. It's interesting you're not sure.

I remember many (not all) of my dreams.  And sometimes when I can't remember them, I have a distinct feeling I've had a dream the previous night.

Dreaming is important for me.  Often they are a reflection of how I am feeling at any point during my life, so I pay a lot of attention to them.  Also, I come from a family with mental health issues (I, for example, have a history of depression), so being aware of my own feelings at any given point in my life is vitally important for me.

1. It depends. In some phases I don't remember much, in others I remeber a lot. At the moment, I remember a lot of my dreams.

2. It varies in how much detail I remember them. I'd say I remember pretty much, but not everything. It depends on the dream.

3. My dreams are very weird and surreal. xD I never dream of normal, realistic things. A them that appears veeery often is me being chased by someone. The people chasing me are always fictional (I don't know them irl) and they want to kill me. I've been having these kinds of dreams since I was a little child. This theme appears in most of my dreams. The funny thing is, my behaviour in these dreams changed over the years. As a child, I always tried to convince the evil people to let me go, like with giving them money. It always worked. I remember giving one of them a Barbie dress I really liked and they accepted it and left. xD Then, for many years, these dreams were really scary and they ended badly with me being captured, or something. Nowadays I'm actually kinda routined in these situations and they're often not that scary anymore. There are also more and more dreams in which I actually escape. I also killed the person chasing me a few times - I felt so bad afterwards.

Another recurring theme is me needing to pee, but there's always something preventing me from it. Most of the time, the bathroom is very weird, for example everyone in there could see you pee. So I go and search for another bathroom. But lately, I think I actually peed in these dreams, though people could see it. So, I got more comfortable, I guess? (Don't worry, I didn't pee in reallife. xD)

Other recurring themes: Me being late to something; not being able to find home; sometimes I can do magic or fly. The strange thing is, magic in my dreams is invisible. And I'm aware that it is invisble, but it still might take effect. (Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.) Like, when I do a magic attack on someone, you can't see the attack, but it does damage.

4. I can't really lucid dream, but I'm sometimes aware it's a dream. But then I don't try to change it (I don't think of that possibility), I want to bring the story to a good ending. But I think, sometimes I only know it's a dream for a moment and then forget about it again. I once tried to change a dream, cause it was super scary and it worked for a moment, but then I was thrown back to the original scene. Every time I tried. It was so creepy that I couldn't escape... I also think, I sometimes change my dreams unintentionally. Like, I think: "Oh, come on, this can't be the ending, there must be another secret escape door." - and then it appears. xD

On 10/14/2020 at 6:25 AM, elanlb said:

1. It depends. Sometimes I remember five  dreams in one night and sometimes I don't remember  any dream in a week. But I can kind of use auto suggestion to wake up after a dream to write it down. When I do this I can remember a dream very detailed but the quality of my sleep suffers from it and I I have a hard time reading my notes. I'm writing in the dark, without my glasses with a bad natural hand writing on flimsy paper with a pencil that is not sharpened at all . So, my notes are harder to read than the Voynich manuscript.

2. I remember the plot good but I often don't remember the characters or their faces. Only very few people that I know in real life appear in my dreams: a few class mates from more than 10 years ago, a fellow student from 4 years ago, my dead uncle and my parents. Everything else are "random" characters and faces. But, I remember the locations very well, no matter how weird they are. The colour and pattern of the floor, the shape of the window, the design of a staircase.

3. My dreams are often like a SciFi movie. I often dream of space battles, battles with laser guns, jet-packs and stuff like that. But it also depends on my current situation. When I wrote my thesis last year, I often dreamed about libraries and book stores. Or I dream about painting a picture or playing card games. Recently I noticed some other recurring themes in my dreams: gems. A quick research showed that it is Aquamarine and Amethyst that are somehow placed in my dreams. I've never seen these gems so I don't know where my subconscious  got them from. Sometimes I even dream in English, which is not my native language. But I've never had some of the most common dreams like: tooth falling out, falling or exams. The most impressive dream that I've had so far was a dream about my death. I dreamed that I died after I crashed with a car. Suddenly everything faded to black and all what remained was an ever lasting darkness. I was convinced that I was dead but to my surprise I woke up and realized that it was a dream.

4. Just remembering my dreams is not enough. I try to interpret them. Since it is very easy for to detach myself from my emotions, I need dreams to tell me what is going on there. I try to find archetypal figures and themes and if that fails I use a lexicon about dream symbols. My interpretations are probably wrong 99% of the time but, strangely enough, they are right when it matters. I've only had one lucid dream and it happened randomly without any intend.

How often do you remember your dreams? How many dreams do remember? (we can have 5+ each night!)

Very rarely. Maybe once a month, if that.

In what kind of detail do you remember dreams? This is about everything: the plot, setting, characters...

Mostly just snapshots or very short sequences.

Are there any recurring themes in your dreams? (superpowers, surreal things, real life people, made up people, activities, etc etc)

No

Anything else. (can you lucid dream?)

Can I what?

I rarely remember dreams, and when I do they're generally not very pleasant, so overall I'm just fine not remembering them.

Blizzard Avis
  1. Once or twice a week, depends on how much "free time" I had in the morning. If I have to wake up and get ready straight away, I wouldn't get a chance to think about the dreams and they'd disappear from my memory. If I happen to be able to lay down and think before I get out, I usually can remember them well.
  2. Usually a couple of interactions I had  with people or surroundings in the dream, but other than that I wouldn't say they are very detailed. It varies.
  3. I often dream about being able to fly, but it's more like levitating a meter or two above ground than actual flying. Other than that, my dreams often take to route of playing a fictional character myself (from a book, film, video game...). If I dream the world as myself, in those dreams I am often chased or stalked by someone - however, I don't take it as something scary or dangerous (I am confident in ym physical skills in my dreams), but rather really annoying. Another theme that occurs occasionally is me suddenly remembering that I have to take care of some weak living beings (babies, animals, plants) and I realise I haven't taken care of them for months, so I rush to see what's going on with them and find them in a miserable state and just want to save them. 

I. Rarely do I remember dreams. It has been probably over 6 months since I last even felt I had a dream, let alone remembered any part of one.

II. When I remember dreams I seem to remember a lot about them, plot, setting, characters, everything.

III. Fire, Murder, and Suicide

IV. Nope

1. Rarely, I only remember around 11 to 20(edited after I thought of more), plus some things that could be dreams or things I was thinking about prior to sleeping. Edit: I also sometimes remember dreams and forget them in a few days or weeks

2. I remember the general plot and/or goal, and the setting. The characters are typically real-life people, but when they aren't I only remember vague details about them.

3. Not really, other than me being in danger. They are normally based in the real world but have fantastical or non-real elements (dragons, dystopia, an area added to my house to takeoff to fly, etc.) Edit: I have only not been myself in one dream. It was also the only dream where I've switched perspectives.

4. I normally dream in 3rd person until I start waking up a little. At this time, it becomes less focused on the dream and more on a) what happened up to this point and b) how do I reach/what is the goal I am trying to acheive. During that, I tend to slowly realize it is a dream, but it doesn't come all at once. My dreams can be sequels of dreams I've already had - even ones I forgot until that point.

Some (funny) dreams I remember:

Spoiler

- Being repeatedly consumed and passed by a dragon

- my sister chasing and cutting people's heads off to turn into marbles

- Jack and the Beanstalk but on drugs: first I was some random kid who planted seeds outside his school. Then I was the beanstalk which was also a worm(it looked a bit like a snake from Slither, but smooth. In other words, really freaking weird). The beanstalk became good friends with the kid. Then this witch girl and her mentors came in to help defeat the giant. The beanstalk sacrificed himself to save them. I was also the witch girl for a while, as well as one of her mentors. I had a vague sequel to this in which the beanstalk-worm-guy was resurrected but small and they eventually had to kill him because he grew too large and the giant could come down.

• 1 month later...

Hmm. Y'know, there are a few dreams I've wanted to share, and this is the most recent thread about them I could find. For now, though, I thought bumping it would be worth it because the questions in the opening post are kind of interesting. Let's take a look at them:

On 10/14/2020 at 12:25 AM, elanlb said:
  • How often do you remember your dreams? How many dreams do remember? (we can have 5+ each night!)
  • In what kind of detail do you remember dreams? This is about everything: the plot, setting, characters...
  • Are there any recurring themes in your dreams? (superpowers, surreal things, real life people, made up people, activities, etc etc)
  • Anything else. (can you lucid dream?)
  1. It varies. Sometimes it's two or three times a week. I keep a notepad next to my bed that I sometimes write dream notes in while I'm still half-asleep. Remarkably, my notes are at least somewhat intelligible.
  2. Most of the time, I just see what's happening. There usually is no "sound", but sometimes a quote will be heard or appear as a line of text.
  3. If I'm involved in a dream, it's typically from my own "viewpoint". I've also had dreams involving fictional characters, presented in a realistic or cartoony style without any real rhyme or reason. Either way, there have been several that have played out like mini-adventures.. going somewhere, being met by obstacles or falling into traps, that sort of thing. There's also been at least one occasion where I went to bed very late and had a dream sort of related to what I was doing or reading about.
  4. I've read about lucid dreaming, but I haven't pulled it off... I think. I hope all of this makes sense because, ironically, I should probably be sleeping right now... maybe I'll revise this later.
Blue eyes white dragon

I dream often and remember bits and pieces. Remembering whole scenes and dreams depends on how strong it is and odd. Romance is a recurring theme and being in high risk situations sometimes and fictional characters sometimes. Also normal life activities is another theme. If I remember a dream, I can remember everything about it. Now this is going to sound weird but one time my brother and I had the exact same dream on the same night!!! Also my dreams can come true to the very minute detail

• 2 weeks later...

Dreams have always piqued my interest, what they can communicate and illustrate 💤💭

1. Overall I’ve had less vivid dreams as I’ve gotten older. But then I’ll have a super vivid one out of nowhere so, like, maybe one or two a month? A handful a year? It's more likely around late December/early January for me to have a bunch of vivid dreams several days in a row.

2. In the dream it’s very vivid, but when I’m awake it’s much vaguer. People and places I was “so sure” were specific usually turn out to be something else different when I try to recall the details awake.

3. Something unique to my dreams is that I’m usually on the move. Usually alone going from one place to another by foot, car, skating, roller coaster, swimming, flying, whatever. I rarely spend a whole dream doing something mundane or just sitting in one place.

My reoccurring dream-superpower is flying 😎

4. I usually go with the flow of whatever’s happening in a dream good or bad unless I think I’m about to “die” from the thing(s) I’m dreaming about, then I can act on it/change it/whatever via lucid dreaming, to go right back to whatever the dream was about before the danger happened.

• 3 weeks later...

I am back after a long break so I can finally reply to everyone...

On 10/25/2020 at 12:56 AM, Neon Green Packing Peanut said:

4. I normally dream in 3rd person until I start waking up a little. At this time, it becomes less focused on the dream and more on a) what happened up to this point and b) how do I reach/what is the goal I am trying to acheive. During that, I tend to slowly realize it is a dream, but it doesn't come all at once. My dreams can be sequels of dreams I've already had - even ones I forgot until that point.

This part of sleeping is very odd. The in between of awake and dreaming gets fuzzy and can be a problem sometimes, like with sleep paralysis where your body is asleep but your brain is awake (happens decently often for me and really freaks me out). About remembering dreams in dreams, it almost feels like there's a completely separate part of our brains for dreaming. It's weird how little they mix.

On 12/9/2020 at 9:11 PM, Captain Jay said:

It varies. Sometimes it's two or three times a week. I keep a notepad next to my bed that I sometimes write dream notes in while I'm still half-asleep. Remarkably, my notes are at least somewhat intelligible.

That's about how often I remember my dreams. My half asleep handwriting is horrendous but my writing usually makes sense after I decipher the mess of pen strokes.

On 12/10/2020 at 4:16 PM, Marinette Agreste said:

Now this is going to sound weird but one time my brother and I had the exact same dream on the same night!!! Also my dreams can come true to the very minute detail

Wow, that's fascinating. Dreams coming true is so weird. I feel like I put some effort into separating my dreams from real life (so I don't act off something that never happened), and then they become real and make me question everything! It's all so confusing...

On 12/22/2020 at 1:31 PM, Cosmic Latte said:

2. In the dream it’s very vivid, but when I’m awake it’s much vaguer. People and places I was “so sure” were specific usually turn out to be something else different when I try to recall the details awake.

Yes i understand this. The best way I can put it is "I remember remembering, but I don't remember." And it feels so fresh in my mind but when I look for it I find nothing.

SpaceDustbin

1. I forget most of my dreams within 10 minutes of waking up, and the maximum I can remember is 3 dreams in one night 

2. On the rare occasion that I do remember dreams, it can be either pretty much the whole thing (at least the conclusion of the dream), or just some feeling about it. Sometimes in my dreams I have a fight with someone and you just wake up angry and it sticks with you the rest of the day 😂

3. When I did my PhD I had way too many dreams over the years that involved our horrible department. So even when you're supposed to be free of your colleagues, they're still haunting you 😭😂

4. Lucid dreams have happened every now and then, and it's such a weird feeling, especially if it's more or a nightmare scenario you want to get out of, and while you know you're dreaming, you can't snap out of it.

Other than that, some of the weirdest dreams have happened when I was sick. Once I came back from a holiday in Morocco where I contracted a very persistent laryngitis and was running a 40C fever. In my sleep somehow when I lay on my left side I would dream in Dutch but when turning to my right side, everything was in French.

And one time when I apparently developed a stomach flu, the feeling of being really sick incorporated itself with a lot of the (violent) historical fiction I'd read around that time (think of hacking and slashing away at limbs and other fun stuff), so naturally I woke up feeling sick, and I thought it had to do with the dream, but later found out that wasn't the case 😅

10 hours ago, elanlb said:

This part of sleeping is very odd. The in between of awake and dreaming gets fuzzy and can be a problem sometimes, like with sleep paralysis where your body is asleep but your brain is awake (happens decently often for me and really freaks me out). About remembering dreams in dreams, it almost feels like there's a completely separate part of our brains for dreaming. It's weird how little they mix.

Oh, I get this. Once, I realized I was awake, but also heard myself snore like I wasn't yet. It was freaky.

Archived