Survey on Asexuality and Trauma

henshin

We have a new research request from a student at St. Vincent University. 

Description: 

The purpose of this study is to assess the relationships between traumatic events, sexual desire, and asexuality. Participants will answer demographic questions and three questionnaires about these topics. 

Procedures: 

If you choose to participate, you will be asked nine demographic questions. You will then be given three questionnaires about asexual identification, traumatic events, and sexual desire and be debriefed. Participation should take no more than 30 minutes.  

You must be 18 years or older to participate.  

Risk and Benefits: 

This survey asks questions about life events that individuals might find disturbing. Included among these are:  

Sexual Trauma 

Child Abuse (including child sexual abuse) 

Physical Trauma (including violence) 

Loss 

Information collected through this survey will remain completely anonymous. The researchers will have no means to connect you to your responses. You can withdraw your consent to participate in the study at any time by closing your browser window. 

Below is a link that will take you to the Qualtrics survey. I will be recruiting on both r/asexuality and AVEN so please only participate once.  

Thank you so much for your attention here and your participation in my study.

https://stvincent.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_0cheTn31iAdywBL

This request has been approved by the Research Approval Board

This has standard asexuality questions, which assume that the person taking the survey has never heard of the term 'asexual', has had sex in the past etc. which is kinda offputting and a pain. Asking me if I would be relived if I never had to have sex again is like asking someone who has never married if they still beat their wife.

It also assumes I'm in romantic situations, and like: basically every question in those sections needs but doesn't have an N/A

For the questions where tyou have to indicate if something happened to you (and if so give the number) the survey forces you to give the number of times it happened even though the No option clearly indicates the answer is 0.

It also only asks about a specific battery of traumatic events, as opposed to traumatic events that might have happened to you but aren't listed. Such events are ignored by the survey, which may bias the results.

This quiz was ok.. I answered that I had experienced the death of a family member and then they asked if during this event someone had been injured or killed?? Like.. he died, but killed is extreme. and if the question is about someone dying then, take a guess, genius. 

On 10/12/2020 at 3:10 PM, matt_lock said:

This has standard asexuality questions, which assume that the person taking the survey has never heard of the term 'asexual', has had sex in the past etc. which is kinda offputting and a pain. Asking me if I would be relived if I never had to have sex again is like asking someone who has never married if they still beat their wife.

It also assumes I'm in romantic situations, and like: basically every question in those sections needs but doesn't have an N/A

For the questions where tyou have to indicate if something happened to you (and if so give the number) the survey forces you to give the number of times it happened even though the No option clearly indicates the answer is 0.

It also only asks about a specific battery of traumatic events, as opposed to traumatic events that might have happened to you but aren't listed. Such events are ignored by the survey, which may bias the results.

Thank you for your thoughts. We are using tests that have been documented, used and validated in previous literature. We recognize that these tests might not capture everyone's experiences. The feedback you've provided are useful in identifying the weaknesses of the study and improving future research.

Archived