Favorite Christmas Song

Ziffler

Here's a topic that doesn't require much thinking, but does require a difficult decision.

There are so many great Christmas songs. Both Classical like "Silent Night" to comical like, "Chipmunk Christmas".

Christmas is my favorite time of year. I love everything about Christmas. Right now, one of my sisters is making me a goody basket filled with homemade cookies and candies. I can't wait. lol.

As for Christmas songs, I love them all. BUT! There is one song, that has always been my very favorite since I was a little boy. I love everything about the song. The music, the words, the meaning, the images it brings to my mind and the memories of my youth listening to the song.

My favorite Christmas song?

"The Little Drummer Boy"

Come they told me

Pa rum pum pum pum

A new born King to see

Pa rum pum pum pum

Our finest gifts we bring

Pa rum pum pum pum

To lay before the kIng

Pa rum pum pum pum,

rum pum pum pum,

rum pum pum pum

So to honor Him

Pa rum pum pum pum

When we come

Little baby

Pa rum pum pum pum

I am a poor boy too

Pa rum pum pum pum

I have no gift to bring

Pa rum pum pum pum

That's fit to give our King

Pa rum pum pum pum,

rum pum pum pum,

rum pum pum pum

Shall I play for you

Pa rum pum pum pum

On my drum

Mary nodded

Pa rum pum pum pum

The ox and lamb kept time

Pa rum pum pum pum

I played my drum for Him

Pa rum pum pum pum

I played my best for Him

Pa rum pum pum pum,

rum pum pum pum,

rum pum pum pum

Then He smiled at me

Pa rum pum pum pum

Me and my drum

Merry Christmas to Everyone.

mouth brooder

Oh Come, Come, Emanuel is my favorite Christmas time melody by far, but the lyrics ? *raspberries* :P So, I play it on the flute and don't sing.

Jingle bells, Batman smells, Robin laid an egg, is much more my style for lyrics.

I always stop and listen to The Little Drummer Boy, though. That one has captivated me as far back as I can remember.

As for Christmas songs, I love them all. BUT! There is one song, that has always been my very favorite since I was a little boy. I love everything about the song. The music, the words, the meaning, the images it brings to my mind and the memories of my youth listening to the song.

My favorite Christmas song?

"The Little Drummer Boy"

Me too. And for the same reasons. What is it about that song?

I love Christmas music, too. My favorite religious song is "O Holy Night", especially sung by a baritone. My favorite secular song is Eartha Kitt's "Santa Baby". I can't wrap presents without listening to mood music. It also gives me the Christmas feeling, sometimes I get Grinchy without enough of it. I listen to the two KC stations that play all Christmas music through November and December.

Star in the East, part of the suite of carols by Malcolm Dalglish, as sung by the St. Olaf Choir.

Oh Come, Come, Emanuel is my favorite Christmas time melody by far, but the lyrics ?

O come, o come Emmanuel

& ransom captive Israel.

Who waits in lonely exile here.

O come o come Emmanuel,

& ransom captive Israel.

At the moment my favorite song is "Stop the Cavalry", but that may change tomorrow.

Hey, Mr Churchill comes over here

To say we're doing splendidly,

But it's very cold out here in the snow

Marching to and from the enemy,

Oh I say it's tough, I have had enough,

Can you stop the Cavalry?

I have had to fight almost every night

Down throughout these centuries,

That is when I say, oh yes, yet again,

Can you stop the Cavalry?

Mary Bradley waits at home,

In the nuclear fall-out zone,

Wish I could be dancing now

In the arms of the girl I love.

Dubadum...etc

Wish I was at home for Christmas.

Bang! goes another bomb,

On another town

While the Czar and Jim have tea.

If I get home,

Live to tell the tale,

I'll run for all presidencies,

If I get elected I'll stop, I will stop the Cavalry.

Dumadum...etc.

Wish I was at home for Christmas

Wish I could be dancing now

In the arms of the girl I love,

Mary Bradley waits at home,

She's been home waiting two years long,

Wish I was at home for Christmas

-GB

I love 'Emmanuel' too, plainsong is so evocative. I also have fond memories of 'Once in Royal David's City' - my first 'Carols by Candlelight' at St Mary's in Upton village. We (the choir) processed down the aisle - horrified some of the more 'traditional' members of the congregation. Of course with all the H&S legislation, couldn't have a church lit by candlelight today and haven't we lost out because of it.

I realise this is very sad, but I like 'It's Christmas' by Slade... :oops:

"The Little Drummer Boy" is my least liked of all Xmas songs :(

My favourite would be "Happy Christmas (War is Over)" by John Lennon.

I also have really been turned off Xmas carols altogether because I work in a supermarket and have to hear them constantly. The worst one of that lot is the children's choir rendition of "12 days of Christmas". *shudder*

Oh Holy Night. I heard it once where the melody was sung by an incredible soprano soloist, with the choir backing her up with angelic sounding harmony (which sometimes consisted of lyrics and sometimes with just ahhs and ohhs). It raised every hair on my body.

I like to Sing Silent Night because I know a cool harmony.

I'm atheist, though, so since these songs are mostly sung in church I rarely get to sing or hear them.

O Holy Night was the song that temporarily stopped ww1. During a Christmastime lull in the fighting, one soldier started to sing it and the rest on both sides joined in. For about twenty-four hours afterward, the men played games and talked.

My absolute favourite Christmas song is I'll Be Home for Christmas. The lyrics and the music are so sad. I may be wrong about this but wasn't this song written during WWI?

I also like Melody's version of Do You Hear What I Hear? Normally I don't listen to that Christmas song that much.

Anything from Handel's Messiah - I get to sing in the choir performance of the Messiah each year and love it. Then I come home and listen to all the goofy more worldly Christmas songs I can find!

My favorite is "O Holy Night". It has three verses, but those who sing it rarely sing all three. I'd like at least two verses.

O Holy Night was the song that temporarily stopped ww1. During a Christmastime lull in the fighting, one soldier started to sing it and the rest on both sides joined in. For about twenty-four hours afterward, the men played games and talked.

Now I like it even more. Chills....

I dislike most pop Christmas songs. I don't know why, they just bother me. But there are a ton of very nice traditional carols (mostly sacred, but a few secular) that I don't mind at all hearing sung by people who know what they're doing.

A few years ago I happened upon a truly lovely song called "Bethlehem Down" - it was arranged for solo voice by Peter Warlock, although I'm not sure if he made up the worlds or not. Very evocative and not your normal happy-happy carol. But the only recording I have of it is a choral version that I don't like as much.

As a (sort of) professional choral soprano, I do have a weakness for any carol that ends with a great big descant (Hark the Herald, O Come All Ye Faithful, Once In Royal David's City, and so on and so forth... and then the conductor has to tell me to pipe down. :oops:)

I'm also rather fond of the Carol of the Bells, although there isn't really much to it.

Heard twotoday I'd forgotten about:

The Bells were rining out for Christmas Day - The Pogues

Only a Winter's Tale David Essex.

ChildOfTheLight
My favourite Christmas song would be "Christmas at Ground Zero" by Weird Al Yankovic.

I've never heard that, but I like "The Night Santa Went Crazy" by the same artist.

My favorite Christmas song would be "The Rebel Jesus" by Jackson Browne. I wish they would play it on the radio...how many third-rate celebrities' versions of "Santa Claus is Coming To Town" do you need?

The guy singing the christmas carol is funny, and of course the rabbid screams. Raving Rabbids is soooooo much fun btw. DAHHH!!! :D

I dislike almost all poppy Christmas songs.

I agree with what Parthenos says.

John Lennon's one is my favourite. And I can't stand "Little Drummer Boy", and I'd probably feel the same way about any song featuring the repeated lyric "pa rum pum pum pum"...

Proper traditional carols are generally much better. (Though even then I'm picky... I shudder at the thought of "Away in a Manger" (especially when sung by choirs of 6-year-olds))

"In the Bleak Midwinter" starts off great in its first verse... if it only continued that way...

Instead it all goes downhill when it starts talking about breasts and mangers and 'maiden bliss' and all that. And then it finishes off with that "Yet what I can I give him" which at first glance completely fails to make sense (though its alternative "Yet what can I give him" isn't any better, as it doesn't have enough syllables to fit the tune...)

"Hark the Herald Angels Sing" is definitely one of the best, though it's slightly annoying in the way it puts 'mild' after 'mercy' and attempts to rhyme 'come' and 'womb'...

"O Come All Ye Faithful" is good, although let down by the attempts of congregations to actually sing it properly ("leaving their flocks, draw nigh to gaze" just doesn't fit the tune for most untrained singers). Perhaps the Latin lyrics are better?

But "In Dulci Jubilo" probably tops the list.

I've always liked "White Christmas," mainly because I've always wanted it to snow on Christmas, and, well, in Atlanta, Georgia, that doesn't happen too often.

"Carol of the Bells" and I think the other song I like is called "What Child Is This", but I am not quite sure. I can hear the tune in my head, but I am not 100% positive what the words are :lol:

I do not like pop chirstmas songs either. My favourites are the traditional and secular songs (despite the fact that I am not Chirstian.) If it was written after the 1940's I won't listen to it.

"Adeste Fideles" sung by a half-decent male voice choir (in latin of course!) has to be near if not at the top of my list...

O Holy night is almost unheard in the uK..but then being French probably accounts for that..however it is one of the most evocative of carols..

In the bleak midwinter..if sung by an alto soloist...

Mary's boy-child for the more modern ones...

roddy

"Carol of the Bells" and I think the other song I like is called "What Child Is This", but I am not quite sure. I can hear the tune in my head, but I am not 100% positive what the words are :lol:

If the tune is the same tune as "Greensleeves", then it's "What Child Is This".

And the words are here: http://www.hymnsandcarolsofchristmas.com/H...s_version_1.htm

Archived