Haven for the Human Amoeba - sign up for the 20th anniversary livestream, 11 October 2020

michaeld

4 hours ago, Diana DeLuna said:

THE DUCK was awesome. Thanks, @michaeld for the invite. I was there through the panel part, but was unable to join the "airmeet" smaller discussion afterwards. I hope that part was as fun and enlightening as the panel! 💜

Some of the discussions went on until almost 2am UK time! Certainly past half 1. That made the entire event 6.5 hrs!

4 hours ago, michaeld said:

Some of the discussions went on until almost 2am UK time! Certainly past half 1. That made the entire event 6.5 hrs!

😲 That's amazing. Sorry I couldn't join the airmeet. Was any part of it documented? 

On 10/12/2020 at 1:42 PM, michaeld said:

Drat. I need a newer, better laptop so as to not miss out in the future. My current laptop's camera is so slow and lo-res that it makes me look like a living acid trip.

22 hours ago, Eutierria said:

😲 That's amazing. Sorry I couldn't join the airmeet. Was any part of it documented? 

Unfortunately not! This was really people chatting in private round virtual tables, so wouldn't be suitable for recording. However the livestream is still up, for anyone who wants to see it!

On 10/11/2020 at 6:24 PM, will123 said:

I finally looked into what this was about. 

Thank you David Jay for starting AVEN. Thankfully I found out about asexuality and AVEN in 2005. How long would AVEN have been around at this point?

He got the domain name in 2000 and started AVEN in 2001. The article I first read in '99 or 2000 mentioned the domain "asexuality.org," so I went and checked it out. I remember absolutely nothing about it; only that it didn't have the characteristics of AVEN yet. Then I ghosted the whole scene for 20 years.

20 minutes ago, Diana DeLuna said:

He got the domain name in 2000 and started AVEN in 2001. The article I first read in '99 or 2000 mentioned the domain "asexuality.org," so I went and checked it out. I remember absolutely nothing about it; only that it didn't have the characteristics of AVEN yet. Then I ghosted the whole scene for 20 years.

Thanks

When I checked the forum it's layout was very similar to other forums I was on at the time. It obviously changed from 2005 to 2017 LOL

Horse Ham Radio

Just an idea for the future: Perhaps a presentation/event capturing the history between the start of AVEN and now? Because I feel like I know the early communities fairly well at a high level, and I of course know things well from what I first ID'd as ace and started using AVEN, but the gap in-between is a bit of a blank space. I've picked up things from old threads and from discussions with some longer term members, but I would like to know more. I'm sure I'm not the only one :P

On 10/14/2020 at 12:03 AM, will123 said:

Thanks

When I checked the forum it's layout was very similar to other forums I was on at the time. It obviously changed from 2005 to 2017 LOL

Probably why I don't remember it, because I was in & out of a lot of forums in the early 2000s.

When I wandered back to AVEN and made a new account in 2013, that's when I discovered this site had turned purple and for some reason that made me roll my eyes and leave again. Because--even though I'd just been attacked by my father that very night for casually declaring I was asexual--I was still stubbornly erasing my existence and the existence of all Aces. 😳

@Diana DeLuna Sorry to read that. My recollection of AVEN's format in 2005 was of the typical IPB(?) software based forums. 

Not really sure why I didn't stick around even though I had contentedly identified as asexual.

Archived