Starting to not mind romance and sex in fiction

quietcrayon

I used to really hate relationships in media, but less so lately. It’s only when it’s built on a solid foundation of trust and love, it can honestly be kind of cute to me now. When characters just seem convenient to each other, I still hate it, and when the relationship is based around sex it just confuses me. Anyways this is a pointless post and changes nothing, but not being completely put off the idea of watching/reading fictional couples was new for me

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve found the same thing, sometimes. Sometimes I’ll watch a film with a romance and think it’s sweet. Sometimes, although rarely, I’ll think that two characters who aren’t together could benefit from a romance subplot. Unfortunately, for me, it’s still far more common for me to watch a film or read a book that has romance in it and find it distressing. Especially when it’s a plot about two friends, one of whom confesses to having feelings for the other, who then comes around and they get together. That sort of romance just reminds me of all the people who didn’t want to be my friend if they couldn’t be something more. 

I’m glad that this is getting better for you. Being able to engage with pop culture and media in general without distress is a good life ability. 

• 2 months later...

Overall, I have no problem with romance in fiction. But I hate it that authors seem to feel obliged to set a romantic or - even worse- a sexual ending. I cannot remember the last book I read, where I did not have to skip chapters due to smut scenes. I cannot recall the last decent film ending that was not about sex or a kiss. I was especially disappointed when I saw the ending of "Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children". There is one character being introduced as aromantic, but the last scene has to be a kiss, because... Yeah, Why?!!! Or kingsmen: Why is the last scene a allusion to a sex scene? that is just unnecessary and ruines the whole experience for me.

I don't seem to like reading sex scenes in books, I feel like it disrupts the beautiful flow / the romantic atmosphere created. I just skip over them and do not read them anymore. 

Archived