How can I discuss with my mom my sexuality?

Isa20

Hi! I’m looking for some advice on how to have a discussion with my mom about me identifying as demisexual and heteromantic. I know I am not going to be in any danger if I tell my mom, because she will be supportive no matter what. However, when I thought I was graysexual and told that to my mom she was kind of dismissive. Her thought that I was identifying as graysexual because I’m less mature through my autism. Well now I’m a lot more confident about my sexuality, and I don’t really want my mom to be dismissive about it. I have the idea to tell my mom that even if I’m demisexual because of my autism, it’s not like I will suddenly become neurotypical one day. Anyway, any thoughts on how I can explain to my mom what I am feeling?

There is a FAQ section for Family & Friends, where most of the questions are aimed at parents who want to better understand their kids. https://asexuality.org/?q=family.html Even if you don't want to give her the link, the questions there might give you ideas on how to word it and how to equip yourself for follow-up questions. Good luck! I know that even the most loving and well-meaning parents can be difficult to talk to about this kind of thing because of how much they may want to (or not want to) know.

asexual-up-my-sleeve

Ooh, thanks for starting this thread and directing me to some advice! I'm in a similar situation and plan to come out very soon. Good luck!!

5 hours ago, asexual-up-my-sleeve said:

Ooh, thanks for starting this thread and directing me to some advice! I'm in a similar situation and plan to come out very soon. Good luck!!

5 hours ago, Isa20 said:

Hi! I’m looking for some advice on how to have a discussion with my mom about me identifying as demisexual and heteromantic. I know I am not going to be in any danger if I tell my mom, because she will be supportive no matter what. However, when I thought I was graysexual and told that to my mom she was kind of dismissive. Her thought that I was identifying as graysexual because I’m less mature through my autism. Well now I’m a lot more confident about my sexuality, and I don’t really want my mom to be dismissive about it. I have the idea to tell my mom that even if I’m demisexual because of my autism, it’s not like I will suddenly become neurotypical one day. Anyway, any thoughts on how I can explain to my mom what I am feeling?

Good luck to both of you! I’m not sure if I’ll ever be ready to talk to my family about it but I’m rooting for you!

asexual-up-my-sleeve
14 hours ago, cakeandcats said:

Good luck to both of you! I’m not sure if I’ll ever be ready to talk to my family about it but I’m rooting for you!

Thanks so much! If I find this thread again and am comfortable sharing, I'll let you know how it went XD. Might take a while tho.

SupercalifragilisticNugget

Well you know who you are regardless of your autism, and you shouldn’t have to be afraid of telling anyone that. I truly hope your mom doesn’t dismiss anything you confide in her and perhaps showing her that there are other people out there who share the way you feel she might be able to better understand that it isn’t something caused or brought on by autism or anything like that. Best of luck to you in whatever you decide and whenever it comes about. 

Hi. If you feel like asking others with autism, too, whether they have any advice or tips, there's an "Autistic and Aspie Aces" thread. (It's still active.)

Archived