Morals vs Money

Soul Searcher

Morals vs Money  

80 members have voted

1. 1. Which is more important to you?

• Upholding my moral code of conduct.
    • Having some money in my pocket.

This poll is closed to new votes

While I do believe that these things are fluid and should not be defined as one way or the other but in a pure neutral scenario, no complicated situation, which would you rather hold on to?

For me, upholding my morals is more important. If something forces me to do against what I believe in, I simply won't do it, even if it rewards me highly.

What about you?

Lord Jade Cross

Well, I lost a job for holding on to my morals, had to quit 2 others (which would have eventually gotten me fired anyways because I could not abide by the careless rules of the higher update) for the same reason.

15 minutes ago, Jade Cross said:

Well, I lost a job for holding on to my morals, had to quit 2 others (which would have eventually gotten me fired anyways because I could not abide by the careless rules of the higher update) for the same reason.

Yeah, I can see that happening to me as well. That's why I am big on having my own business and being the boss of myself. Nobody peering over my shoulders to tell me how to/ not to do things.

18 minutes ago, Jade Cross said:

I feel you... I like to help others... But that often isn't what the manager wants...

I've blocked marketing data dump from database requests... because you know, privacy?

Anthracite_Impreza

I really cannot answer because I don't know until I'm put in that situation. I have given shopkeepers back money they have given me accidentally and would not have noticed missing until cashing in; I've also taken money from people I hate because money's money. Really is no way I can definitively answer.

Aquatic Paradox

In a pure neutral scenario, I’d go for money. 

But I don’t think a pure neutral scenario is possible.

Provided there's no criminality involved, money 😋😋

I'd say morals, but I'm aware that I am coming from a privileged position of being upper middle class and having always had money to spare... If I was hungry or struggling to pay rent I suspect my response would be very different.

12 hours ago, CBC said:

As someone who's basically a communist...

What do you mean by that? 🤔

fooledbysecrecy

morals, but if money in my pocket was out of the pockets of some capitalist tax dodging scum then that's a win-win

I’m not sure because I don’t have very strong morals to begin with, but I also don’t mind not having a bunch of money. I’m also not sure what a “neutral” scenario would be in this context. 

I guess one thing that comes to mind is how I often buy cheap food and stuff eventhough it probably comes from factory farming and sweat shops...

Aquatic Paradox
3 hours ago, Gloomy said:

I guess one thing that comes to mind is how I often buy cheap food and stuff eventhough it probably comes from factory farming and sweat shops...

Buying things made in sweatshops is something that can’t be avoided, unfortunately.

Most clothes and shoes are made in sweatshops, so you’d have to be a nudist to avoid it.

And the alternative to people (usually Asians) working in sweatshops is moving them to Africa or getting robots to make the clothes. That would leave the people who currently work in the sweatshops redundant, which will lead to mass unemployment/societal decline (as is the case with the former industrial cities in the West).

I've been very poor all of my life. I would say that I learned that nothing is worth going against what I believe is right. When I was a lot younger, I remember stealing on a few occasions. They were things that I figured no one really cared about (such as a hair clip) and that's how I justified stealing them to myself, but now I have to carry around the guilt and shame for the rest of my life.

Aquatic Paradox
13 minutes ago, Moon Spirit ☽ said:

I've been very poor all of my life. I would say that I learned that nothing is worth going against what I believe is right. When I was a lot younger, I remember stealing on a few occasions. They were things that I figured no one really cared about (such as a hair clip) and that's how I justified stealing them to myself, but now I have to carry around the guilt and shame for the rest of my life.

There’s no point of carrying guilt and shame over a hair clip.

The staff wouldn’t care, the cops would find it trivial, and the management wouldn’t notice (and if they did they wouldn’t be able to do anything about it).

Not saying you should make a habit of stealing, but it’s better to think of it as a learning experience.

12 minutes ago, Moon Spirit ☽ said:

I guess it's that I don't want to justify wrong actions, but I do need to find a way to let go of them.

Go back and pay for that hair clip - you will be free!

You have to look at these words >

1 hour ago, Moon Spirit ☽ said:

... now I have to carry around the guilt and shame for the rest of my life.

Without God you are free to do anything, you answer before no one, you will be judged by your own conscience, and that is where danger lays. Conscience is very ruthless and unforgiving judge! You do something wrong, and you’re going to carry this pain/burden for the rest of your life. With God life is harder, you have to follow rules, but you’ll be judged by merciful and forgiving God. You do something inadvertently wrong, you confess, and you are forgiven and free.

**hugs**

@uniQChick I don't believe our decisions should depend upon whether or not there is a being out there who will punish us for wrongdoing. We should strive to be decent human beings so we don't hurt others (as well as ourselves).

All faith-based beliefs aren't necessarily true anyway. We don't know anything for certain.

I'd feel way too guilty.

I can only remember stealing one thing in my life.  I was seven.  It was this tiny bear thing that attaches to the neck of your lamp.  We were renting someone's furnished apartment in Paris before moving into our permanent house, and I pocketed it when we left because I liked playing with it.  I've been wracked with guilt ever since--did the owner notice I stole her cheap lamp accessory??  I was never able to play with the thing after we left because I felt so guilty about it...  I still feel guilty about it, 22 years later.

So, yeah, compromising my morals for money is out of the question.

11 hours ago, uniQChick said:

You have to look at these words >

Without God you are free to do anything, you answer before no one, you will be judged by your own conscience, and that is where danger lays. Conscience is very ruthless and unforgiving judge! You do something wrong, and you’re going to carry this pain/burden for the rest of your life. With God life is harder, you have to follow rules, but you’ll be judged by merciful and forgiving God. You do something inadvertently wrong, you confess, and you are forgiven and free.

**hugs**

As an Atheistic Satanist and a former Christian, I implore you to explore the implications of your statement. If you are truly absolved by the act of confessing your misdeeds, that opens the door to atrocity very rapidly. Even without God, you are still bound by the codes of your social group and the limitations of what you can achieve. If you do "immoral things", somebody will eventually push back. If God absolves you of guilt, nothing is a crime.

On 9/25/2020 at 8:23 AM, cato said:

I'd feel way too guilty.

I can only remember stealing one thing in my life.  I was seven.  It was this tiny bear thing that attaches to the neck of your lamp.  We were renting someone's furnished apartment in Paris before moving into our permanent house, and I pocketed it when we left because I liked playing with it.  I've been wracked with guilt ever since--did the owner notice I stole her cheap lamp accessory??  I was never able to play with the thing after we left because I felt so guilty about it...  I still feel guilty about it, 22 years later.

So, yeah, compromising my morals for money is out of the question.

I don't remember stealing something but I do remember breaking some china alongside my cousin and we hastily covered it up. We were playing with something that we knew was fragile. I don't think anybody would've noticed it but yes, I still feel guilty. That was more than 15 years ago.

Another thing, I still feel bad about the times I have cheated in exams. I might have scored good on those occasions but it did not teach my anything except cheating is bad and you don't gain any knowledge out of it.

My morals are very important to me. I can't see myself abandoning them for any amount of money. 😟

Morals over money. I have had money (not a lot by any means, but enough that I was able to give away several thousand over a period to fake friends). Now that I have very little, I have a couple of true friends and now a lovely partner too. Money brought me nothing but misery, even without abandoning my morals.

• 8 months later...

honestly, i dont even know when id have to pick between either of those that isnt mid-bank-robbery

but some money wouldn't hurt, right?

I always figured at the end of the road as you're dying, you're not going to care about any amount of money. It'll be particular moments in life that haunt you. And for a lot of people, it's moments involving lapses of morals.

Archived