Guinea Pigs

GingerRose

1 hour ago, Arodash said:

They are ADORABLE

But messy they arent the cleanest of rodents 

Have you had them as pets?

Most important, check, and double check what sex they are. 

Make sure they have reasonable provenance. Inbreeding isn't unknown 

Don't feed them brsssicas, they contain mustard oil that causes gastric upsets 

They need to gnaw, so give them a twig, - Ash or similar - about the diameter of your little finger 

As a general rule they do like to be petted 

Long-hair breeds will require an occasional bath. 

1 hour ago, Skycaptain said:

Most important, check, and double check what sex they are. 

They need to gnaw, so give them a twig, - Ash or similar - about the diameter of your little finger 

As a general rule they do like to be petted 

This. Also make sure you have a very secure hutch or somewhere you can keep them My mum and sister had a couple when I was younger, we also had an outdoor one we could move around in on the lawn. Since they're skittish animals, they like having places to hide.

@Anthracite_Impreza

Make sure it's two females. Otherwise you'll either end up with a bunch of them or have two guys fighting about who's boss. That'll get smelly really quickly. I did that once and got super lucky that they became "jail gay" after a few months, but that's not a given by any stretch.

Anthracite_Impreza

They need more space than is recommended in typical pet shops, especially if they aren't getting floor time; at least twice as much.

They shit constantly, so spot poop cleaning and some replacement substrate is a daily occurrence. Proper clean once a week. Avoid using too many chemicals and always rinse thoroughly.

They MUST have clean, fresh hay at all times; invest in a hay rack or similar, don't make them eat it off the floor cos they piss all over it. This is vital for their teeth and digestion.

Don't give them anything painted, nor paper (of any variety). They will chew it (they chew everything) and both contain toxic materials.

They must have fresh water at least once a day, and their water bottle/dish must be cleaned at least every few. It's also a good idea to check the water bottle is actually passing water through everyday because they're small and dehydrate quickly.

Only feed small amounts of fruit no more than twice a week; they contain a lot of sugar and that is as bad for them as it is for us. Some guinea pigs are sensitive to apples, so after eating them you should check their lips the first few times. If they seem to have a rash, they're sensitive. It could become infected, I imagine it will be sore and apples aren't vital, so it would be a good idea to just not feed them any more.

They (like us), cannot produce vitamin C, so make sure they get plenty of veggies with it in (avoid too much spinach, it does something I forget). This is a good guide:

https://www.pdsa.org.uk/taking-care-of-your-pet/looking-after-your-pet/small-pets/your-guinea-pig-s-diet

They eat their own poop from their arse, this is normal. Leave them to it.

Don't leave your pigs in a loud, busy room and don't force yourself on them too much; most pigs are very skittish and although they do generally love snuggles, are easily stressed. Make sure they can always access a dark, cosy spot like a pigloo, and have enough space for all pigs.

Oh and protip: when they start getting fidgety in your lap, put them back - they need a piss. You will get shat on regardless.

Again, they chew everything, so leave nothing harmful in their way.

Check their teeth and general health weekly; they will probably protest but if you give them a treat afterwards they get used to it. If their teeth are getting too long there's a problem - either they aren't getting enough to chew (daily hay is vital for this very reason) or they're feeling unwell and aren't eating enough. Check their poops to see if they're in any way different; if they are it's probably a digestive issue though it could also be cancer. If the situation hasn't resolved itself in a few days or they get worse - VET. They are small, they don't last long when ill. They can get fleas, mites, sometimes fight and get small injuries, can manage to injure themselves, can get tumours and cysts, respiratory issues... Basically just give them a good look all over. External parasites can generally be dealt with by completely cleaning the housing and any fabrics they've come into contact with and bathing all pigs with special shampoo, the others should be vet checked.

Their nails will need trimming probably once a month. If you've never done it before seek professional training from a vet or piggie charity (or experienced keeper) first, and if not competent/confident, let a vet do it. Getting your nails cut too short is very painful and an infection risk for everyone. It's easier with two people, especially if they wriggle, but some pigs freeze instead of flee so they're easier. If you give them treats and make it a non harmful experience, most will eventually learn to put up with it.

All bulb plants (daffodils, garlic, lilies etc.) are highly toxic to most pets, but since pigs are herbivorous and some are not the brightest, keep them away.

They should have time outside (weather/temperature permitting) at least a few times a week in a secure run with shelter.

They MUST be housed indoors. Pigs come from the savannahs of south America, they prefer the same temperature range as humans - 21C is ideal.

Ideally get your pigs from either a rescue or reputable breeder. Pet shops don't give a shit about welfare, they breed any old two animals together and many are inbred and sickly. They're more prone to being highly skittish and having temperament issues as well and are only funding more of the same.

A rescue will generally be older, more likely to be the sex advertised, in need of a good home and already bonded with another pig, but they tend to have the other issues pet shop ones do (cos they are, 99% of the time).

Well bred ones are more expensive and you will probably have to be put on a waiting list and be vetted by the breeder, but this is a good thing - it shows they give a shit. They are less likely to be inbred (you can ask for a pedigree) and will generally be far better looked after and raised. A good breeder will also help you in the long term and generally take back pigs if you can't keep them any more, or help you rehome them; some will even give you your money back if they develop a genetic disorder. They also tend to be more experienced in sexing.

I'll probably think of more later but I need to go now.

I used to have guinea pigs. They are really cute and miss having mine around. I really like the Abyssinian and teddy breeds, although unfortunately my teddy I had health problems that I believe was genetic. Although I do not miss their smell. They are very social so it’s best to have at least two together, I had three at one point and there was some fighting issues but not too much. Sometimes when they are expecting food they can squeak pretty loud. They also like having places to hide in their cage. Do not give them hamster wheel things, it is bad for their fragile spines. Hay is also super important in their diet, just not more than a bit of alfalfa. You can also give them a lot of fruits/veggies. The ones that are the best and most loved were leafy greens like lettuce and cilantro. They also need sufficient vitamin C, which they’d get from fresh foods. Another thing would being careful where you get them, generally pet stores aren’t the best place because they are more likely to have health problems, but I didn’t have a great experience from a breeder. When they do get sick they try to hide symptoms since they are a prey animal, so things go downhill pretty fast when something is wrong. Most importantly give them lots of snuggles, they can totally hang out in a lap, shoulder, or wherever their favorite spot is for a long time. I also gave mine a little pen area they could play in around people. They usually are pretty lazy so usually you don’t have to worry about them climbing. Guinea pigs are really good animals to have in my opinion.

On 9/24/2020 at 12:16 AM, Caliway said:

Abyssinian

This is the breed I'll be caring for. :)

Did you ever give them baths if their fur got matted from waste?

Do you give them hay as something they can access all the time?

Did you give them pellets?

If you remember any hay or food brand names please share. I'm looking for quality items that are not expensive.

7 hours ago, GingerRose said:

This is the breed I'll be caring for. :)

Did you ever give them baths if their fur got matted from waste?

Do you give them hay as something they can access all the time?

Did you give them pellets?

If you remember any hay or food brand names please share. I'm looking for quality items that are not expensive.

I didn’t have an issue with their fur getting matted. The fur is about 1.5 inches (if you do inches I’m not sure how many centimeters) so it’s not super long. I did give them a few baths occasionally, and I think wiping their behind can help too. I gave them pellets, I tried to make sure they had at least some pellets almost always. Hay definitely they should have access all the time. I had a hay rack, sometimes I just dropped in their cage too. I can’t remember what kind of hay I got but the food I got was Mazuri (pretty sure I spelt it right) and I would get a big bag that was a good price. Abyssinians are very sweet and energetic, they are really fun to watch run around since they were used for racing in the past.

3 hours ago, Caliway said:

I didn’t have an issue with their fur getting matted. The fur is about 1.5 inches (if you do inches I’m not sure how many centimeters) so it’s not super long. I did give them a few baths occasionally, and I think wiping their behind can help too. I gave them pellets, I tried to make sure they had at least some pellets almost always. Hay definitely they should have access all the time. I had a hay rack, sometimes I just dropped in their cage too. I can’t remember what kind of hay I got but the food I got was Mazuri (pretty sure I spelt it right) and I would get a big bag that was a good price. Abyssinians are very sweet and energetic, they are really fun to watch run around since they were used for racing in the past.

Thanks for the advice!

Do you think alfalfa or timothy hay based pellets is better for them?

How long did yours live, if I may ask?

12 hours ago, GingerRose said:

Thanks for the advice!

Do you think alfalfa or timothy hay based pellets is better for them?

How long did yours live, if I may ask?

Timothy hay pellets are better since can’t have much alfalfa. I forgot why but alfalfa isn’t great for them, it can be good for babies to grow. I only had one full Abyssinian actually, I did have two that were part. He did only live like three years though, I think he got some kind of tumor or something in his stomach or something. I’m not entirely sure why he died. One of my part ones had issues with his back teeth, so he lived to 4ish and the other one lived to about 6.5 years. I got my parts from a school that had too many guinea pigs and my full from a breeder, and I don’t think I picked the best places so I think that factored in their lifespan. Normally they’ll live 6-8 years, I just got bad luck with mine.

Archived