Liv Flaherty - Asexual character in "Emmerdale"

SiTargaryen

The original thread about this was archived, presumably because Liv's sexuality hadn't been mentioned in the show for a long time, but finally it is being revisited in episodes airing next week. There is a young guy in the show called Vinny, and it has been strongly suggested that he has a crush on Liv. His stepmother Mandy has been trying to matchmake between them. In spoilers for next week's episodes,

Spoiler

Mandy makes Liv feel awkward by misunderstanding what asexual means, leading Vinny to explain it to her.

It's great that the show is finally revisiting this story and it seems that this time, we will actually get asexuality mentioned by name.

Original thread here.

It's thanks to this storyline that I discovered asexuality. I watched it last year and I don't remember them specifically mentioning it by name but I remember relating to Liv and after a Google search I came across the term. It's like suddenly everything made sense!

I'm both excited and nervous about them revisiting this story. It's great to have asexuality in mainstream media and maybe they'll be others like me who have that lightbulb moment. But I am also a bit nervous about it. I haven't spoken openly to my family/friends about this and i dont think they even know what asexuality is (i didn't until the age of 27 and i am asexual so I'm not judging!) and a part of me wonders if this will spark the conversation with my family members or if they put two and two together about me.

Regardless of what happens for me it's great to see asexuality get some recognition and airtime. Well done Emmerdale 👏

I was so excited when I watched last night's episode and they actually used the word asexual!  This storyline the first time around was the reason I started watching Emmerdale and I was disappointed that they didn't go further with it and put the word to her story.  I'm looking forward to seeing where it goes, I hope they do a good job with it!! 

I've been so elated every time they've had an Asexuality conversation this past week. Been watching Emmerdale for 20 years, and was so glad when they initially explored Liv's asexuality, so very glad they hadn't forgotten about it and its become more of a focus again.

Archived