Acetheist

J. van Deijck
On 9/29/2020 at 8:19 AM, Charna said:

Food is my no. 1 category when judging cities. 😁

They got Starbucks and McDonald's, I actually visited both :lol:

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/8/2020 at 10:35 PM, Jelle van der Lee said:

They got Starbucks and McDonald's, I actually visited both :lol:

I don't think I've ever been to either in Berlin, even though I lived there. 😁 Especially since you can get coffee in almost every bakery.

On 9/22/2020 at 9:58 PM, TheGoodDemonKeeper said:

I mostly went to city parks. And one more thing - there are small plaques on the sites of houses of people who were killed in WWII. The plaques are all over the city.

The people on these plaques were not killed in the war but in the Holocaust. You can find them in most German cities. Usually the date they have been arrested and the date/place they have been killed or died from hunger/dease/exhaustion in a concentration camp are mentioned and sometimes the "reason" they were arrested for.

AmusedSkeptic
2 hours ago, Bloc said:

The people on these plaques were not killed in the war but in the Holocaust. You can find them in most German cities. Usually the date they have been arrested and the date/place they have been killed or died from hunger/dease/exhaustion in a concentration camp are mentioned and sometimes the "reason" they were arrested for.

Thank you for correcting me and explaining the meaning of the plaques further!

Been there for a week only bc it was on the other end of the country (been invited to the Bundestag) but now I moved close to Berlin so I could theoretically go there whenever I want.

Well when it comes to LGBTQ stuff I bet it depends on the region of Berlin. There are some poor regions like Kreuzberg and Neukölln afaik but I am not sure which one is the left-poor area and which one is the right-poor area.

Also you might hear about "Snout of Berlin/ Berliner Schnauze" which refers to Berlin people allegiadly being super blunt to the point where it could be considered rude but that's just a stereotype I've heard about.

sorry I couldn't help you more but the chances are high that I'll move there someday so ye 

2 hours ago, Artila said:

Also you might hear about "Snout of Berlin/ Berliner Schnauze" which refers to Berlin people allegiadly being super blunt to the point where it could be considered rude but that's just a stereotype I've heard about. 

Oh, it's not just a stereotype. I tried to be polite and friendly at first when I moved to Berlin - and people mostly just looked at me as if I came from a different planet (well, there may have been other reasons why they did that 👽😅). So at some point I just gave it up.

Berlin is a nice destination for a short trip, but I'm glad I don't live there anymore.

Also, I never understood why it's considered to be Germany's "queer capital", imo it's not.

Archived