Atheist in a God-based Religion

GingerRose

1 minute ago, Sarah-Sylvia said:

When I talk about divinity, I'm fully aware that I'm using ideas for it, centered around what I think is 'good', towards a greater level, if that makes sense. I always try to think of things like love, wisdom, harmony, acceptance, excellence, etc.

This definitely reminds me more of the "Aions" or "Archetypes" or the "Ideals" of Jungian Psychiatry. The idea that our mind has archetypes for Love, Goodness, Harmony, Wisdom, etc. and that they manifest in our minds as Aions or Ideals that are found across all cultures...such as the Wise Old Man, the Father, the Mother, the Lovers, etc. So basically, the divines to you would be these Ideals which then can manifest into forms such as the image of a god. So maybe, the idea of Death manifests in your mind as the Grim Reaper or as Hades or as Anubis and so on. I guess whether these "ideals" actually exist or not is the question.

9 minutes ago, eldritchsleep said:

I guess whether these "ideals" actually exist or not is the question.

That would be my question too. I just do what I do and keep open for now :P I do have in mind to intentionally create the idea of a goddess, and play a part in that in some way, it's still in conception, but I guess I say play a part because I can't make myself believe something out of the blue, it's more like entertaining the meaningfulness of it, if that makes sense.

If you think about it, spirituality is really open to however we want to make of it, so in that sense it does make sense to me that someone could want to make something in religion part of their life, I just dont personally relate to quite a few things that are part of them.

54 minutes ago, Sarah-Sylvia said:

That's a good way to put it, if you find importance in it or some parts of religion, I can't see that in a bad way :) When we find value, then that's worth something.

I'm biromantic so maybe I get what you mean :P I'm still a bit superficial so it does still matter if someone is a gender, it's just I'll try to appreciate it and them how they are XD

If god is the mainstay of the religion, can you really say you follow it? But there's nothing wrong with considering yourself part of the rest of the religion, but I'm pretty sure the followers might have a problem if you admit you don't believe in their god. Maybe there's a way to phrase what it so that it makes sense? I dunno.

Maybe I can follow it, but not to the extent of its followers or how it was first meant to be followed. Making it something new but keeping some old parts to fit me. Ya, I usually just say I used to be a full follower then I walk away. lol. I don't care what they think of me anymore. If I am basic with the aspects I value and connect with them on that level that's all I ask for and I know it won't please all.

1 hour ago, LeChat said:

something different

slightly different because not all spiritualities or religions have a god.

14 minutes ago, Sarah-Sylvia said:

If you think about it, spirituality is really open to however we want to make of it, so in that sense it does make sense to me that someone could want to make something in religion part of their life, I just dont personally relate to rituals and  quite a few things that are part of them.

Rituals can contribute to a sense of community, shared history, and belonging.

In general, religions and religious institutions do meet some fundamental human needs. That doesn't necessarily mean religion is the only way or the best way to meet those needs, but there are reasons that religion has survived as long as it has. For me, I couldn't be part of an organization/community centered around something that I fundamentally don't believe in. As long as I have some place I can turn to for community and support (which I do - it happens to be sort of the humanist equivalent of a "church"), I'm good. Others will decide differently.

7 minutes ago, Sarah-Sylvia said:

I do have in mind to intentionally create the idea of a goddess, and play a part in that in some way...it's more like entertaining the meaningfulness of it, if that makes sense.

If you think about it, spirituality is really open to however we want to make of it

Yes this makes sense to me, as I do recognize my internal psychological "god" and it takes more of a form of Baphomet for me and it has personal meaning to me.

If I could choose a religion to actually believe in it would be the Egyptian mythology honestly. Their deities and belief systems speak to me the most including their respect for the dead. Their afterlife is pretty unique, too. That being said, the "spirituality" that I hold (more of a meditative, personal self-actualization kind of thing) does incorporate Egyptian themes and I even use the Egyptian gods to represent my personal inner ideals. Jungian psychiatry is my "spirituality." As you say, it is open to however we want to make it! And for me, I respect my Archetypes without believing they exist outside of me in any objective sense.

34 minutes ago, eldritchsleep said:

If I could choose a religion to actually believe in it would be the Egyptian mythology honestly. Their deities and belief systems speak to me the most including their respect for the dead. Their afterlife is pretty unique, too. That being said, the "spirituality" that I hold (more of a meditative, personal self-actualization kind of thing) does incorporate Egyptian themes and I even use the Egyptian gods to represent my personal inner ideals. Jungian psychiatry is my "spirituality." As you say, it is open to however we want to make it! And for me, I respect my Archetypes without believing they exist outside of me in any objective sense.

Well that makes more sense to me than believing it outside of us, since our mind is involved.  Whatever has meaning for us can make it worthwhile. I don't personally relate to what you said, but that's ok, especially if you don't impose any of it on others :) (which unfortunately religion has done, and lgbtq know how it's affected them at times). I do like the idea of personal archtypes or however someone connects.

37 minutes ago, ER2742 said:

Rituals can contribute to a sense of community, shared history, and belonging.

In general, religions and religious institutions do meet some fundamental human needs. That doesn't necessarily mean religion is the only way or the best way to meet those needs, but there are reasons that religion has survived as long as it has. For me, I couldn't be part of an organization/community centered around something that I fundamentally don't believe in. As long as I have some place I can turn to for community and support (which I do - it happens to be sort of the humanist equivalent of a "church"), I'm good. Others will decide differently.

I'll never really understand rituals I think, so it's hard for me to see that, but I agree with the rest and think that we are missing more community in our society. Even just how it was at university felt great for a sense of it and connection and belonging more. I'd love to have something that could replace that for people. I don't know what that could be, or maybe it could just be a greater ... way to connect communities. I dunno, but I know you're right that religion filled a role that had value, even if it's limited.

One of the great things about being an atheist is that you can pick and choose which traditions and morals you like and which you don't, which all the worlds religions to choose from.

I can see how someone who was say, raised Christian, for whom the traditions and community was important, and believed in the moral and rules etc, but did not believe in god, could still consider themselves Christian. People already pick and choose which parts of the bible they do or don't believe in, not believing in God is just an unusual take on that.

I celebrate christmas and easter (these are pretty much secular holidays in the UK), I meditate and generally follow Buddhist beliefs in a non faith based, non superstitious way. I would describe myself as "spiritual" in the way this article describes. I don't feel that any of this is incompatible with being an atheist, or even anti-theist.

I feel this hard. I've neglected god, knowing the community wouldn't support me for my orientation, but I still feel connected to the festivals and culture, because I'm a Muslim that happens to be Somalilander.

11 hours ago, GingerRose said:

Are you still defining as a Christian? What aspects do you enjoy that are not related to God?

Treat others the way you want to be treated. And no, I do not define myself as a Christian. 

2 hours ago, sallimae76 said:

Treat others the way you want to be treated. And no, I do not define myself as a Christian. 

Anything besides morals?

3 hours ago, Yoruka said:

I feel this hard. I've neglected god, knowing the community wouldn't support me for my orientation, but I still feel connected to the festivals and culture, because I'm a Muslim that happens to be Somalilander.

We can talk about this more too on messages if you want. :) 

8 hours ago, Yoruka said:

I stopped following Allah for a few reasons but there are still aspects of Sufism that aren't based around Allah that are important to me. Like Ramadan, peace, art , and meditation, and transcendence.

1 hour ago, Arodash said:

atheistic they are members of the reformist sect of  Judaism.

Interesting.

1 hour ago, Arodash said:

Jews who believe in Christ as more than a prophet

All sorts. I understand this as a syncretic perspective.

On 9/22/2020 at 10:14 PM, GingerRose said:

I stopped following Allah for a few reasons but there are still aspects of Sufism that aren't based around Allah that are important to me. Like Ramadan, peace, art , and meditation, and transcendence.

That's pretty neat, because there's so much in Islam that I love, but I can't fit the piece fully, so I feel I'd get rejected via the *community.*

Archived