Why do snakes get hate?

Arodash

My thoughts on snakes are similar to my thoughts on electrical wires:

If I randomly pass by them, I don't know which can kill me on contact, so I won't touch them.  I'd best let the experts handle them.  But I'm not going to wantonly destroy them either.

1 minute ago, GingerRose said:

Why

What do you mean why??? 

9 hours ago, Arodash said:

You have a good reason I know of the venomous snakes you folks have

Also, if I may add to my previous story of personal terror due to a snake:

Many Australian people experience loss, anger, and distress at a young age, due to a family pet being bitten by a venomous snake, and subsequently dying. Dogs are particularly prone to dying after a snake bite, in fact, twice as likely to die as cats. So while it's easy to say that nobody should hate snakes because they're just doing what they were born to do, it's very academic and heartless to state that people shouldn't hate a creature which has taken a loved pet away from them... Or, multiple loved pets.

All animals have a right to their own habitat. We humans are the invaders, this I fully accept. Which is why I stay away from morasses, grasslands, and other areas where snakes often hang out near my home. But it's simply human nature to develop distress, anger, and protectiveness when literal deadly creatures enter your homestead and threaten your children/pets.

I will never like snakes. But, equally, I will never go out of my way to harm a snake. I hate the fucking things because of how much they have traumatised me throughout my life. So I'm gonna leave them to do their thing, but so help me god, if my life is threatened by one again, I won't be yearning to cuddle it and get all cutesy about the experience.

I love dogs. I adore them. They're my favourite creature. A mate of mine was bitten by a dog when she was very, very young, and as a result, she is petrified of them. She won't go near them, she hates them, and she's even triggered by adorable dog videos on Facebook. I'm hardly gonna mock her pain, just because I adore dogs, and consider them harmless. I respect her fears because she's a human being with a trauma response. She doesn't endorse dog abuse, and would never go out of her way to harm a dog, so yeah, I let her have her fears in peace.

In summary: love snakes all you want, I fucking hate the things.

33 minutes ago, tony the trans man said:

In summary: love snakes all you want, I fucking hate the things.

Fair enough

@tony the trans man Oh. Wow. I'm sorry to hear you went through that. That does sound scary; I know I would've been afraid, too, as a kid, in that situation.

Yeah. It is scary, learning how certain snakes are poisonous and can eat animals that are a lot bigger than themselves.

16 hours ago, Moonman said:

Because nobody has ever beat the Elite Four with Ekans or Arbok, that's why. :P

Hey, in my last Pokémon game (Ultra Moon) I had Thara the Arbok in my team, and also Julien the Serperior in Black.

12 hours ago, Arodash said:

the EMS star of life has a snake on it because of this.

If you watched M*A*S*H, the doctors wore the Caduceus(that’s what it’s called) on their collars. 

I believe it comes from the Bible. The Israelites were being bitten by poisonous snakes in the wilderness, so God told Moses to make a snake out of bronze, hang it on a cross and tell the people to look up at it to be healed.

11 minutes ago, DuranDuranfan said:

If you watched M*A*S*H, the doctors wore the Caduceus(that’s what it’s called) on their collars. 

I believe it comes from the Bible. The Israelites were being bitten by poisonous snakes in the wilderness, so God told Moses to make a snake out of bronze, hang it on a cross and tell the people to look up at it to be healed.

I loved mash lol

used to watch it with my Opa, woulda watched Hogans Heroes but Oma wouldnt let Opa watch it lol

2 hours ago, Arodash said:

used to watch it with my Opa, woulda watched Hogans Heroes but Oma wouldnt let Opa watch it lol

That sucks. “I KNOW NOTHING! I SEE NOTHING! I HEAR NOTHING”

ThePurpleHyacinth

I understand that people are afraid of snakes because of bad encounters with them. After all, many species of them are venomous, so it's no laughing matter if one happens to bite you.

Myself, though, am a fan of snakes and enjoy handling them. I've always been known as someone who has a soft spot for all kinds of "disgusting" animals so snakes fit into my repertoire perfectly! 😉 The most memorable moment came when I had the chance to watch a Burmese python from eye to eye. The dark pearly eyes just won me over. If I ever happen to have suitable living conditions for a Burmese python, I'll adopt one right away!

Luftschlosseule
19 hours ago, Skycaptain said:

Maybe the cultural dislike came from Egypt.

As an egyptologist I doubt that. Snakes were seen as danger, yes, but also very important in mythology. The uräus serpent was so important it was part of the crown symbolism.

@Arodash

Since you both quote Medusa, there are multiple ways to read this myth. View the spoiler since sexual violence.

Spoiler

Medusa was transformed by Athena after Medusa and Poseidon hat sex in Athena's temple. But the thing is, Medusa was a priestess, sworn to celibacy, and Poseidon or the Greek male gods in general are not known for asking nice, so we can assume that Poseidon raped Medusa. The goddess of wisdom had to do something, and she could not punish Poseidon. It was not within her power, and those things tend to happen. A lot. 
So she transformed Medusa and weaponised her hair. Everyone who looks at her now will perish if Medusa decides so.
But still she's described as beautiful. A monster but a terrible beauty. Sounds very ambivalent to me. 

A problem in most archaeological fields is that they've been very male dominated for a long time and currently there's a shift going on, re-evaluating what we know. We're getting new translations of classics such as the Iliad, and more voices add to a conversation that has been pretty one-sided in the past. 
It's very interesting right now.

I love snakes, they're my most favourite group of animals along with non-avian dinosaurs! I really think the reason they get so much hate is because of religion. :( For someone who has spent much of his life interested in snakes, I have to say I'm appaled by the idea of presenting snakes as some sort of symbol for evil (and I don't believe in evil anyway, I mean nobody is "evil", even those want to watch the world burn are not "evil", there are other, more appropriate terms for them). 

I think snakes are just animals like others, but some animals I don't like, and wouldn't want to deal with. Poison? no thank you.
I like lizards though, so it's not that I hate reptiles. I just don't like that some of them are deadly, lol.

1 hour ago, Sarah-Sylvia said:

I think snakes are just animals like others, but some animals I don't like, and wouldn't want to deal with. Poison? no thank you.
I like lizards though, so it's not that I hate reptiles. I just don't like that some of them are deadly, lol.

Idk. I love wolves but they can be pretty deadly XD I have been warned that my obsession with booping cute animal noses will lead to me getting mauled by a lion because. Well... its a big kitty nose! It requires a boop

52 minutes ago, Arodash said:

Idk. I love wolves but they can be pretty deadly XD I have been warned that my obsession with booping cute animal noses will lead to me getting mauled by a lion because. Well... its a big kitty nose! It requires a boop

Well, maybe that's a good point, I like wolves and big cats, yet I don't like snakes. I just don't like them I guess XD

This video of Vsauce explains the origin of dragons, but it quite nicely explains our aversion to snakes alongside of it. It's an interesting video regardless!

In general, humans have a natural tendency to dislike snakes because anything looking like a snake could potentially be venomous, so we evolved to fear them. Of course, understanding them helps us overcome natural instincts and even start liking them. I personally find snakes fascinating, but I am a future biologist so my opinion of snakes is different than what most other people would think of them.

I think other species of mammals (and birds?) are also instinctively wary/fearful of snakes, too. An innate fear that saves lives without really risking much. Of course, that doesn't mean humans can't overcome that (and maybe some don't have it to start with). We can reason and know some or even most snakes are not venomous or dangerous. And learn to be careful if we do encounter ones like rattlesnakes, cobras, or other venomous snakes wherever we live.

Snakes have always been associated with evil and temptation I.E. Eve and the apple but I think snakes are pretty cool. 

On 9/21/2020 at 4:05 AM, Luftschlosseule said:

Western Christianity. Snakes are evil, animals of satan, yadda yadda.

I swear, I always felt a little bad for snakes as a kid because of the story in the Bible where God curses the snake and it's forced to crawl on it's belly forever...I was like WHAT...?? But yet we were also taught in Sunday School that God created the heavens and the earth, and everything in them was "good". Um....?! 😂

It's not just humans, it's a common thing with even dogs for them to be scared or wary of snakes. Must be a natural thing to have that natural instinct to fear something that can cause harm. Funny thing, snakes are just as scared, if not more of everything else, hence why they're so defensive.

Dont worry y'all I can fix the snek hate

19 hours ago, Arodash said:

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

19 hours ago, Arodash said:

What...was that...?! 😂😂

On 9/21/2020 at 6:40 PM, tony the trans man said:

I love dogs. I adore them. They're my favourite creature. A mate of mine was bitten by a dog when she was very, very young, and as a result, she is petrified of them. She won't go near them, she hates them, and she's even triggered by adorable dog videos on Facebook. I'm hardly gonna mock her pain, just because I adore dogs, and consider them harmless. I respect her fears because she's a human being with a trauma response. She doesn't endorse dog abuse, and would never go out of her way to harm a dog, so yeah, I let her have her fears in peace.

I wish everyone was as sensible as you, regarding your friend and dogs. I don't know how many people have shamed and judged my mom for not wanting to be around dogs (she has a serious allergy). Whenever we're out in public there's always someone with a non-service dog, walking them into a restaurant (health violation in our country), or taking them into Walmart, etc. and when she turns and walks away, or goes the long way around to avoid the dog, she gets the "stink eye" and comments from the dog owner. If she can't get away quickly she'll say she's allergic, and the dog owner just looks at her and makes no attempt to keep their dog away from her. NOT EVERYONE LOVES BEING AROUND DOGS. Some people can't, due to allergies or trauma. It doesn't mean they HATE dogs or would harm them, they just don't want to be near one. They take it so personally! I wish they understood the way you do. :) 

Archived