Lord Jade Cross

The Strange & Curious Tale of the Last True Hermit

For nearly thirty years, a phantom haunted the woods of Central Maine. Unseen and unknown, he lived in secret, creeping into homes in the dead of night and surviving on what he could steal. To the spooked locals, he became a legend—or maybe a myth. They wondered how he could possibly be real. Until one day last year, the hermit came out of the forest.

https://www.gq.com/story/the-last-true-hermit

This story is incredible. 

If I did know someone like that, clearly they didn't do a good job of it.

2 hours ago, Jade Cross said:

So, has anyone known personally someone who has done these, I guess they call it dropping from the grid and living off nature permanently escapes?

1 hour ago, Philip027 said:

If I did know someone like that, clearly they didn't do a good job of it.

Living off the grid, living as a hermit, and living completely off nature are all different things.  Which one are you asking about?

I know lots of people who live off the grid.  One woman I know lives on her own near Hawaii Volcanoes National Park on the Big Island of Hawaii. I have stayed with her before; she has made a sweet life for herself.  She has a a solar-powered generator for lighting her home and other electrical needs; a wood-burning stove for warmth (sometimes needed in that part of Hawaii); she has gutters that collect rainwater from her roof down into a big holding tank, then boils all her water for washing dishes, etc.; she keeps chickens for eggs and meat and grows as much of her own food as she can.  But she also has a job as a substitute teacher so she can pay for the things she can't produce, which is different than what some people mean by living off nature.  In her case, she just isn't hooked into the power grid in any way, and collects her own sources of heat, water, and electricity.

There's a channel on youtube i've come across literally called primitive technology that lives up in the far north of the state I live in. Pretty cool actually.

Check out Shawn Woods on YT.

Archived