Coming out to parents as Demisexual Bi/Panromantic

Oberon Jasper

So I recently realized I was Demisexual bi/panromantic and I really want to come out to my parents, but I'm scared of having to explain it and them being unsupportive or upset. I'm worried they'll invalidate my feelings in some way. I don't want to keep it a secret tho because I want to be able to express myself in this way before I move out. Does anyone have any advice on how to go about a conversation or some way to do that without hurting them?

(also, to clarify my parents are pretty supportive of me most of the time, I just get really anxious and paranoid about worst case scenarios and it keeps me from speaking up)

Personally, I never came out to my family because they're fairly progressive and couldn't care less who I do or don't date. If your parents are also like this, maybe you could bring it up naturally in conversation. For example, if someone's parents asked them about having children, they might reply "I'm thinking of adopting if I have a same-sex relationship" in order to come out. Doing this might make the process less stressful as you don't have plan anything. If you're unsure about your parents' attitudes towards the GSRM community, maybe try and figure out what their opinions are first. If their reactions are positive, you could come out straight after asking them. If their reactions are negative, it might be worth planning to have a longer, sit-down conversation with them. Hope this helped.

Good luck!

Thanks. I don't really know their stance so I'll try and find out. I'm glad there is a community out here that I can ask.

Moved to Romantic and Aromantic Orientations

Janus DarkFox

Cover Welcome Lounge, Current Questions about Asexuality, Asexual Musings and Rantings & Open Mic Moderator

I really don't have any advice, but I'm in a very similar situation. I keep wanting to tell them, but like you, I don't really want to explain it and I'm slightly worried about their reactions. I told my self I was going to tell them before I moved away last month... but that ended up not happening bc I chickened out. Anyway, my one recommendation would be to have printed out information sheets that can do the explaining for you. Then once you say "I'm demi/pan," you can just hand them the sheets and be like "read this and let me know if you have any questions," rather then having to do all of the explanation yourself. As for how to bring it up... I haven't figured that part out lol. I can say that you're definitely not alone in your struggle to come out though 😊

Archived