What do you think this book is about?

GingerRose

What do you think this book is about? Is the Question I asked my fifth graders, I got some very interesting responses. So now I want to hear yours, then I will reveal the issue.

*Don't spoil this question by looking it up Or if you have already read this book, don't answer.

Look at this book cover, comment below what you think this book could be about just by looking at the cover:

Home of the Brave by Katherine Applegate, Paperback | Barnes & Noble®

Mackenzie Holiday

It’s about a boy who immigrates to the United States. I think the cow is a red herring. I’m sure there’s something to do with a cow or cows in the book, but I’m going to wager that it’s a more or less replaceable aspect of the story and not a part of the overall message.

Mackenzie Holiday
4 minutes ago, Arodash said:

No no no the cow is the main character! Sgt. Flanksteak

Doctor Flankenstein

Anthracite_Impreza

An immigrant kid befriending a cow, finding out it's going to be murdered and trying to save it while everyone else is against them.

Lord Jade Cross

That cow is about to unleash a hell of a can of whoop ass, just look at it's eyes.

The challenges of a kid immigrating to america?

I dunno why the cow is there, maybe because it's the kid's only friend?

"Don't judge a book by its cover" 😋 😋 

* Is surprised I'm the first to post that*

Going by the laughter on the kids face, and the angle of the photo 

"This is what happens when you slip on a cowpat as you photograph your child, and 100 other funny tales" 

After his father is killed, The boy runs away with the cow to save the cow from the slaughterhouse and try to find his aunt

Of course, the cover may also have nothing to do with the story altogether

After a tragic aircraft crash a son's father is reincarnated into the very thing he loved the most his farms prized cow, dealing with the loss of his father a young boy learns he gained the super power of talking to animals after the noxious fumes of the aircraft fills his lungs.

4 hours ago, Arodash said:

Clearly its about that Cow's memories of the trenches from the war against the pigs. Its the story of a veteran cow who befriends a young parentless boy and raises him. 

Its so obvious 

Such a moooooo-ving story

A young boy, who while growing up, discovers the rigours and struggles of life, opens an animal refuge to save abused animals, as a sort of indirect inflection of his own, and it extends to help other people in similar situations as well in the long run.

I could imagine that this is about war and/or poverty from the perspective of a child.

A cow who dreams of being a stand up comedian and tries out his routine on his human friend. He realises he has a knack for it and flies off to make his fortune. 😊

3 hours ago, MiffKeks said:

I could imagine that this is about war and/or poverty from the perspective of a child.

Can I ask what about the cover makes you think this? No wrong answers.

4 hours ago, GingerRose said:

Can I ask what about the cover makes you think this? No wrong answers.

It kind of reminded me of the family that lived next to us. They fled from war. They were brave since they were poor and had to walk most of their way by foot. And they ended up in my place. In the countryside in Germany. With cows, too. And maybe I'm racist to associate a black boy with the very complicated political situations in various african coutries... :(

2 hours ago, MiffKeks said:

And maybe I'm racist to associate a black boy with the very complicated political situations in various african coutries... :(

No, I don't think you're being racist, this is a view close to what my students said. I think I am trying to get to the bottom of why the responses are this way, so thank you for sharing your perspective. ❤️ 

In africa cows are rather sacred to the more tribal folk. Not as sacred as in india, but they're classified as essential. Cheating and reading the headline on the cover tells me it's about an immigrant boy. So if I had to take some random guess a big theme of the book is about the differences between cultures and their respective divides. I might even go so far as to say that the cow may even play a crucial part for the little guy when he comes to america, seeing that what's regarded as something highly special in african tribes is merely a disposable asset at best to americans. It'll be about perspectives, that's for sure.

Baseball.

Probably an inspirational story of a rural African boy (guessing Malawi, or broader East Africa, for no reason other than the herding peoples of East Africa. Probably not in the Sahel or anything further north because of the type of cow) overcoming either war or immigration (based on the airplane). The plane flies above, indicative of its role eventually, yet he is firmly rested on the ground with a cow, indicating a rural lifestyle and perhaps homesickness. The cow looks longingly at the boy, beckoning him back to it, while the boy is concerned with the reader, therefore the boy is telling the story.

16 hours ago, GingerRose said:
19 hours ago, MiffKeks said:

And maybe I'm racist to associate a black boy with the very complicated political situations in various african coutries... :(

No, I don't think you're being racist, this is a view close to what my students said. I think I am trying to get to the bottom of why the responses are this way, so thank you for sharing your perspective. ❤️ 

Kids are far more aware of the world than most adults give them credit for I think. This has been in the news after all.

The boy isn't allowed to run a ranch in his home country, so he gets on a plane to the US and settles in a part of the country where ranching is a way of life, he becomes grateful and patriotic, then lives happily ever after.

2 hours ago, fuzzipueo said:

Kids are far more aware of the world than most adults give them credit for I think. This has been in the news after all.

I think it shows this, but it also shows the limitations of the education system, I will put their responses up in a moment.

Archived